C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 convertible top installation without video

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

It looks smooth now but wait until you put it down into the shoe box area for the top and shut the lid. After leaving it down for awhile and put it back up it will be full of wrinkles. And it's so very easy to pinch a hole in it by the bows crushing it.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Bomba_MC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
I just saw this post...I did my own and I think the video is a MUST... and you should watch it 10 times before you start.

I created a document that followed the video (with time stamping)...it expanded on things I came across that I thought were brushed over (if not missed). If you got stuck at some point, you could see where the video was at and refer to my document to see if I elaborate on anything for clarification. This was my first top and I wanted to document everything I discovered.

Unfortunately I never finished it. I was spending way too much time on it when I should have been working on my car. Perhaps when I'm done.

One thing that I should point out is that...I used a professional grade fine wire stampler with STAINLESS steel stamples so I don't have to worry about them rusting out.
I would love to see that document. I get stuck where the video shows them cutting the vinyl at the back.....i messed this part up. He cuts down in line with the cut already there where he staples to the rear bow just above the window,,,but doesnt say much about it. You can offer me any help or share your documentation before i give this another attempt?
Thank you kindly. My email is Bomba_mc@hotmail.ca
The following users liked this post:
62BarnVette (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 PM
62BarnVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I read the more scared I get. Does anybody have the DVDs they would sell to me? Send me a personal message. Email is: dewx2pa@comcast.net
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Scott58
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1958 Two Top Car. Both fit poorly

I’m in the process of working to get the best overall fit for both tops. The convertible top is new but has large gaps in the corners by the windshield and in the center of the window line where the weathership doesn’t sit flush with the top of the windows. Rear seal and front seals make good even contacts. Hardtop is just back from full restoration by Glasswork’s so will be adjusting the windows first to the hardtop. Can someone provide information in how to get better alignment of an existing installed soft top once the windows are fitted to the hardtop ? Will I need to strip off the soft top and realign the soft top frame ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Scott58; 01-20-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:24 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

You are answering a post from 2 1/2 years ago.

Please start a new thread and ask your question.

Quick Reply: C1 convertible top installation without video