C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Restomod help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Default C2 Restomod help

At the insistance of a shop I purchased a LT4 engine to drop into a SRIII chassis. The shop owner insisted I opt for the Cadillac wet sump version. After speaking with Mike at SRIII today, it seems there are some significant issues with the Cadillac design. Per Mike, the water pump is too far forward, the oil pan hangs too low, and the pulleys are not appropriately placed. Has anyone overcome these issues and, is fo, what were your solutions?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 PM
65 fi
Drifting

After speaking with G.M. Performance it seems the shop that recommended going with a wet sump Cadillac version was ill-informed. Evidently, the Cadillac version is not as easy of a fit. The crankshaft is longer which causes a problem with the Harmonic Balancer too close to the rack.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

I'm assuming your talking about the "new" LT4, supercharged. The known issues with using an LT1 that I've heard of are the need for more sophisticated fuel delivery system between the gas tank and the engine. Aeromotive has engineered a solution to create the required constant 72 psi going to the engine, so you might want to contact their tech. dept.

The accessory drive doesn't include a PS. pump since electric steering is used in the C7 and I guess the cadillac. So, you can use electric steering in your C2 ($$$) or find an aftermarket company making a bracket to accommodate a PS pump. Someone in the midwest was working on it but the name escapes me.
The stock accessory drive places the AC compressor down low. There is no room for it if using a A.M. frame and probably others as well.
The overall height of the engine with the supercharger is higher than an LS3, so your may have fitment issues there as well.
I've seen a few cars with LT1s in them, but none with an LT4. Sounds like you're trailblazing...
I'll try to find the name of the company making the brackets.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Ken Sungela; 02-24-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Ken, Thank you for the information. The name of the company making the bracket for the power steering would be great. The hood clearance seems okay but the oil pan hangs too low. I have not removed the engine from the shipping pallet and am hoping an exchange for the Corvette LT4 will be okayed. It sure would be nice to have had this disclosed at SEMA when I was ordering.
Evidently, Mike at SRIII is the trailblazer. He seems to be in the thick it. What a great guy to speak with. He seems like a straight shooter and has been so willing to help.
I am going for a deep dish look on the wheels and hope to find a really fluid looking set of wide body quarters and fenders to achieve the look desired.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

But but but all this effort, design, engineering and fabrication being expended on a FAD that is way past due to go away. What are you thinking?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I was stopped in the first few sentences. This shop 'insisted' on a specific Cadillac, wet sump version of an LT4 but was unaware of the fitness issues in the SR-III chassis ?

I think the fix is a different shop...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Bad Bird Cage, I have kept all the original pieces to the 63. It may be a passing fad but to have a comfortable driving classic is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds.

Frankie, The car is no longer at that shop for numerous reasons. It is bad enough I am on a learning curve but to have the shop on a learning curve at my expense is even more annoying. The car was at the shop for over two years without any real progress but that may have been a blessing.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:40 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Bad Bird Cage, I have kept all the original pieces to the 63. It may be a passing fad but to have a comfortable driving classic is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds.

Frankie, The car is no longer at that shop for numerous reasons. It is bad enough I am on a learning curve but to have the shop on a learning curve at my expense is even more annoying. The car was at the shop for over two years without any real progress but that may have been a blessing.
I love what you are doing. When I purchased my 63 it was sans engine and transmission and a derelict hulk. That gave me total license to do as I wished. And I did.

The purists, and they are a special breed, will be offended but I do not care what modifications anyone does to their cars. I love the improvements made with well build resto mods. We love our creature comforts and I don't recall any factory midyears running in the 10's on street tires and pump gas.

As far as the passing fad I was being purely facetious. My thoughts are tha the "fad" will outlive us all and continue.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

here is a link to a roadster shop build with an LT4

http://roadstershop.com/galleries/barrys-1964-corvette/

Old 02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Now I'm confused. That looks like an LT1 to me. Do you want an LT1 or LT4 in your car?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM
j_66chevelle
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Now I'm confused. That looks like an LT1 to me. Do you want an LT1 or LT4 in your car?
My mistake you are correct, LT1
Old 03-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Kwik Performance is the company making brackets for the LT1. I've never spoke to them, but give them a call and check out what they have.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:58 PM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are staying w/ the Cadillac engine, the best tuner for Caddy drivetrain is D3 Performance in Signal Hill (Long Beach area). Talk to James Gill. Look them up and they are a GM Performance Partner and known for their race CTS-V's. They can fabricate Carbon Fiber in house and I'm talking to them now to do a front spoiler and rear diffuser for my restomod '67 also.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Restomod help

Quick Reply: C2 Restomod help