C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How were the engine pad numbers stamped

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 PM
cblankin
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default How were the engine pad numbers stamped

So much is placed on the engine pad numbers and letters I would like to know when and how were the engine numbers and letters stamped.
Were they stamped one number or letter at a time or did the person doing the stamping open his little wooden box of numbers and letters and go to stamping. What happen if he made a mistake? I don't think
they would scrap and engine for a mistake in stamping.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

They used a 'gang stamp' to do it...

As far as a "boo boo" on a bad/wrong number stamp, i too would like to know what they did with the engine...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

From what I have seen over the years on all types of engines it seems most manufacturers place the stamps in some sort of device to keep things lined up and I would say they are mostly hand stamped and often the edges of the numbers appear lightly stamped due to the tool leaning a bit. It would seem that this is done before the head is on the block.

I'm no expert on this, but that is my best assumption because I own stamp sets and have stamped serial numbers in forklift frames over the years when the original ID plates get damaged.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

For errors that happened they used a grinder and ground the numbers off and stamped it again. Those are the fun ones to determine if real or not
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (01-16-2023)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

What do you know about Chevrolet blocks that have never been decked and have no stamped numbers at all? I assume a replacement block? I saw one at the machine shop like that last month and it definitely hadn't been decked and the machinist agreed it hadn't been touched.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Pad

Also depends on what year and which part of the engine stamping you are looking at. Very early cars had more hand stamps than others. Then later were mostly gang stamped, but may have had the HP suffix hand stamped, or maybe just the last character. Its a whole history lesson on how these cars were done. Its not easy to explain it, you have to see and experience all the deviations.

As for the mistakes like Double stamp, over stamp, upside down, grindouts etc....they were all destroyed by GM and the assembly line was shut down until a correct replacment was found. ALL Corvette engines came with PERFECTLY spaced characters and broachmarks everyone could see!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
csherman (01-19-2019)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ILBMF
What do you know about Chevrolet blocks that have never been decked and have no stamped numbers at all? I assume a replacement block? I saw one at the machine shop like that last month and it definitely hadn't been decked and the machinist agreed it hadn't been touched.
Over the counter short block
Old 04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Speaking of GM destroying parts, in the 80's I used to go to the GM parts plant in Dorsey, Md to do service calls on electric forklifts and they had a full size roll off dumpster with a security guard standing by. One employee would sit at his desk watching his green computer screen and when a part number would pop up he would yell down the aisle for another guy to bring up the part so it could be destroyed with a sledge hammer. I saw alloy Vette wheels, cowl induction hoods, radiators, brake pads and worse, engine blocks get the hammer. That's when I found out just how easy it is to destroy a block...just tap the side of the water jacket with the sledge.

I asked them why they were destroying parts and it was all because of space. They would project what they needed in inventory and sometimes they were either wrong or they didn't anticipate a new model car needing so many replacement parts so quickly do to recalls or just the junk they were producing at the time wasn't holding up. They would replace that roll off at least once a week.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

This tool, or holder, was used to stamp the VIN in the block at the St Louis plant from the 70's to the end of production in 81. The individual characters were removable and were changed after every engine for the next engine/VIN in line.

The replaceable individual character slugs were in the tray next to the holder in the last picture. It was simply a matter of removing the retainer clip and replacing one or more of the slugs.

The holder was very similar for earlier years.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Critter1; 04-06-2016 at 12:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Critter1:
carl3989 (01-16-2023), JC_ (04-03-2019), marshal135 (09-02-2020), RPOLS3 (08-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:59 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Bought my '65 L76 in December '67; the seller told me it had an oil consumption problem early in its life and that Chevrolet had replaced the short block under warranty. The pad was clean with a block date of March '65 which was too late to be original for my December '64 vette. The pad was clean - no numbers at all. On the other hand, the dates on the heads were correct "K" '64 heads. When I rebuilt this engine in '83, all the short block pieces were the correct L76 parts. (I did not have the block decked.)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 AM
c5stingray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, I disagree with last statement by Boyan. from what I understand, chevy do not stop an assembly line because of assembly line mistake. they usually correct the error and reuse the part. most if not all of corvette books and guides I had read agree to this fact, however I do agree with him about the way GM identify their early engine block. that statement in my opinion is correct.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 AM
ILBMF
Drifting

From the pics posted by Critter1 it looks like it was done on the assembly line
Old 04-06-2016, 07:28 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by c5stingray
In my opinion, I disagree with last statement by Boyan. from what I understand, chevy do not stop an assembly line because of assembly line mistake. they usually correct the error and reuse the part. most if not all of corvette books and guides I had read agree to this fact, however I do agree with him about the way GM identify their early engine block. that statement in my opinion is correct.
I can see all the way from Wisconsin that Boyan had his tongue firmly in his cheek, eating a slice of wry bread when he wrote that paragraph.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Engine codes were stamped at the engine plant, and the VIN derivative was stamped on the line. No VIN stamp until early 1960 model, and gang holder was not used until mid-year 1960.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 AM
maddoe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pad

Originally Posted by c5stingray
At the risk of speaking for him, I'm fairly certain Boyan's last statement was laden with sarcasm.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 AM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan
Also depends on what year and which part of the engine stamping you are looking at. Very early cars had more hand stamps than others. Then later were mostly gang stamped, but may have had the HP suffix hand stamped, or maybe just the last character. Its a whole history lesson on how these cars were done. Its not easy to explain it, you have to see and experience all the deviations.

As for the mistakes like Double stamp, over stamp, upside down, grindouts etc....they were all destroyed by GM and the assembly line was shut down until a correct replacment was found. ALL Corvette engines came with PERFECTLY spaced characters and broachmarks everyone could see!!!!!
That's exactly what happened and they were never behind schedule.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Humor

Originally Posted by 62corvette
I can see all the way from Wisconsin that Boyan had his tongue firmly in his cheek, eating a slice of wry bread when he wrote that paragraph.
I agree!!!

Get notified of new replies

To How were the engine pad numbers stamped

Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 62corvette
It looked like pie from here.........
Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

From the pics posted by Critter1 it looks like it was done on the assembly line
The engine/transmission stamp procedure was done as the assembly was traveling/hanging on the engine conveyor. It was a moving target.

Each of the boxes of characters in the group of boxes had at least half a dozen of each character so it would be possible/likely that the next time the same numeric character was selected, it could be a different slug than the one that was used on a previous engine an hour earlier. That means that the actual stamped character may have been slightly different and leave a different character style than the previous engine.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:23 AM
bugzbunny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

No replacement original block, but I don't know if thats the engine I gave them with numbers gone

Quick Reply: How were the engine pad numbers stamped