C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Just learned on Legendary Motorcar that a 63 340 horse car had hydraulic lifters!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 452 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I like them in the car!
I bet that would not work if you were driving a 70s van with free candy.

The following users liked this post:
Jackfit (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 PM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Canadian or US$?

I watched this program and since it originates from Canada wondered at the time if $145k was Canadian. Would make the price a little more reasonable .
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I like Wheeler Dealers too. AGG - once in a while, but I always feel like the 'real' mechanics are in the background working their azzes off during commercial breaks, positioning parts and coaching the chicks on which bolts to put in where....and what to say.

Young gals in tight T-shirts and jeans bending over engines -- sorry, I gotta look...
Is that wrong of me ?
Do you think they picked those women and made that show so we wouldnt look? ☺
Old 04-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by phil2302
Do you think they picked those women and made that show so we wouldnt look? ☺
"Is that wrong of me?"

A phrase constantly used by George Castanza in the Seinfeld comedies to justify some rude, crude or insensitive act he has committed...

Yup, I know exactly why young women are used to promote cars shows and products, and, damn near everything else...

I think Jessie Combs has a background doing "real work" based on her appearances in other shows, Bogie prob does too. The other 'window dressing' gals - can't say....
Old 04-14-2016, 07:38 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 582 Posts

"Is that wrong of me?"

A phrase constantly used by George Castanza in the Seinfeld comedies to justify some rude, crude or insensitive act he has committed...

Yup, I know exactly why young women are used to promote cars shows and products, and, damn near everything else...

I think Jessie Combs has a background doing "real work" based on her appearances in other shows, Bogie prob does too. The other 'window dressing' gals - can't say....
I do think they are good mechanics that also happen to be easy on the eyes. Thats fine with me although I am sure some of the PC crowd may disagree.

BTW I am also a big fan of the show....

“My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.”
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 510 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Yeah, the car shows on TV are a pretty sorry lot indeed . . . none of them really seem to know anything about the cars they are describing, yet they like to present themselves as "authorities". For gosh sakes, read a book or two and find out before you spout off stupid comments that are incorrect. I gave up a long time ago on any of the shows featuring scraggly-bearded thugs in black T-shirts running around yelling "Woooooo!" and trying to bilk people out of their hard-earned dollars for cars that are questionable at best.

I have to wonder if the people who buy these cars feel like complete saps when they see the show aired and find out how much the dealerships actually paid for their car? Plus, just listening to the back-and-forth comments during the builds has to make you wonder just how good some of these guys are. Now, a few of them have obvious skills and look to be very good indeed - but they are the exceptions rather than the rule.

As others have said, I'll stick to Wheeler Dealers - I wouldn't be afraid to let Edd China work on my '62 any day. As for the rest of these loser shows - I'll pass.

Last edited by fyreline; 04-14-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 375 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kingwoodvette
I watched this program and since it originates from Canada wondered at the time if $145k was Canadian. Would make the price a little more reasonable .
That is exactly my thoughts. Almost fell of the couch when Klutt said $150,000.00. When the buyer didn't laugh in his face I said "you're crazy" then has to be for the show.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 964 Likes on 477 Posts

These shows seem to interest many of us, or we wouldn't be having this discussion...Legendary Motorcar is a better production than some....I'm glad these shows are on...they have entertainment value....lighthearted television...much better than politics...
Old 04-17-2016, 09:33 AM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

I was surprised by the comment on the 340 cam but always thought Legendary Motorcars was a decent show. Peter Klutt is a serious collector and a big time vintage car racer. Seems like a good guy. I am sure some of the vintage racers who post here can comment on Peter's skills. He seems to be giving his son more time on the shows.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:35 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,392 Likes on 684 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

PK is first and foremost a used car dealer, judge accordingly.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ1
Peter Klutt is a serious collector and a big time vintage car racer. Seems like a good guy. I am sure some of the vintage racers who post here can comment on Peter's skills.

it is easy to win when you go to a knife fight with a fully auto AK47
The following users liked this post:
jerry gollnick (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 56early
...beats watching reruns of I Love Lucy!
Now hold on, I agree about the phoniness of many "reality" car shows on TV, but "I Love Lucy" will STILL be running on direct-brain-implant video when your grandchildren are grandparents!

Always suspected GM gave Desi that ('55 Pontiac?) convertible when the Ricardos and Mertzes drove to Hollywood. Cheap advertising for a couple of weeks exposure on a #1 rated program!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1591995279
I think Jessie Combs has a background doing "real work" based on her appearances in other shows, Bogie prob does too. The other 'window dressing' gals - can't say....[/QUOTE]

I'm not enamored with Jessie in any way but I'll give Jessie her dues since some here really put her down.

Unlike most people on these shows she:

She has a degree in Custom Automotive Fabrication from WyoTech and graduated at the top of her class.

She opened a metal fab shop for women who are serious about cars.

She won the King of the Hammer off road race and took a class championship.

She's pushed a land speed car to a top speed of 440 miles per hour.

Probably makes way more money with the TV and product endorsements , more power to her.

Beats the hell put of "Here, take this sanding block and pretend you're doing something" on most shows.

Legionary can stick it U can't believe anything they say now.

Ed's a good wrench ...................but he's still a used car mechanic.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikelj
PK is first and foremost a used car dealer, judge accordingly.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

There is a lot of buffoonery on "Graveyard Carz" , but this past seasons episodes have improved dramatically. Enough people complained and they got the message to concentrate on the restoration process and less on the dim-wits and drama. I agree that Legendary Motorcars is better than most, also Chasing Classic Cars is good too. The was one show that was an accurate represention of Automobile restoration, I forgot the name but it was based in Texas and the entire season consisted of 10plus episodes of them restoring a 1956 Buick. It was slow paced and there was no fake drama...of course it seems to have been cancelled..too bad.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefttp
There is a lot of buffoonery on "Graveyard Carz" , but this past seasons episodes have improved dramatically. Enough people complained and they got the message to concentrate on the restoration process and less on the dim-wits and drama. I agree that Legendary Motorcars is better than most, also Chasing Classic Cars is good too. The was one show that was an accurate represention of Automobile restoration, I forgot the name but it was based in Texas and the entire season consisted of 10plus episodes of them restoring a 1956 Buick. It was slow paced and there was no fake drama...of course it seems to have been cancelled..too bad.

Unfortunately, that's the reason it WAS cancelled. It was REAL!

Gary
Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Bill32
I'm not enamored with Jessie in any way but I'll give Jessie her dues since some here really put her down.

Unlike most people on these shows she:

She has a degree in Custom Automotive Fabrication from WyoTech and graduated at the top of her class.

She opened a metal fab shop for women who are serious about cars.

She won the King of the Hammer off road race and took a class championship.

She's pushed a land speed car to a top speed of 440 miles per hour.

Probably makes way more money with the TV and product endorsements , more power to her.

Beats the hell put of "Here, take this sanding block and pretend you're doing something" on most shows.
And she's got great dimples. As to Chasing Classic Cars it just doesn't "hit me where I live". I grew up around '60s muscle cars that teenagers modified, raced, and sometimes ruined, on high-schoolers' budgets..

$5M Ferrari barn finds and Pebble Beach brass-era cars may as well be castles in the south of France to someone of my means...
Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

And she's got great dimples. As to Chasing Classic Cars it just doesn't "hit me where I live". I grew up around '60s muscle cars that teenagers modified, raced, and sometimes ruined, on high-schoolers' budgets.....
So did I.

I blew up my first car (60 Chevy, 348, 3 duces, factory 4 speed) on the strip.

Shoulda given more thought to " high-schoolers' budgets" before hand.

Getting back on the school bus for 3 months was a bitch.

Quick Reply: Just learned on Legendary Motorcar that a 63 340 horse car had hydraulic lifters!