C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body Tag Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:20 AM
roadster64
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Tag Question

Hi I have a bit of a situation, My corvette has had the vin tag and body tag under the dash removed. I have the vin number but what i am after is how to figure out what the body trim tag would have had stamped on it by the vin number? I know the exterior and interior colors are not factory as the reason is the car was a stolen recovery when my dad bought it from an auction. I would like to get replacement tags and not sure how to decode or figure out what would have been on my body tag.

Thanks for any help
The following users liked this post:
Tloner (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I could be wrong (I am a lot ) but, without a trim tag I don't believe that there's any way to determine what the original interior and exterior colors or options (ie, vinyl or leather, etc.) were.

To my (limited) knowledge the VIN # will only help in regards to the date of manufacturer and plant it came from.

Gary
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default If you look real hard, you will find

Somewhere on the car with original color! Get out a flashlight and start looking! That will give you the best guesses on the interior color! If the car has vinyl seats, then it would probably have been vinyl before! If leather now, don't know!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Don't. Anyone who cares about the trim tag will be able to spot a fake one
Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 AM
66/427
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I noticed you are in B C If that car was sold new in Canada from a Chev. dealer GM Heritage should have the order info for this vehicle. That will give you the exterior colour interior colour engine option, trans, but I do not believe you will get the body no. The car has to have been sold new not imported from the USA

RIC
Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Somewhere on the car with original color! Get out a flashlight and start looking! That will give you the best guesses on the interior color! If the car has vinyl seats, then it would probably have been vinyl before! If leather now, don't know!
That's a good suggestion and it may lead you to the exterior color as well. It was hard to find any of the original "exterior" color (since it had been painted black, TWICE!) on my car BUT I did find a bit behind the kick panels.

That said, I still would have had a hard time figuring out exactly what color it REALLY was without the trim tag since it was 50 year old Laguna blue factory paint.

Try looking there and under the door sills. If you you're lucky you may find a spot that a paint or body shop may be able to match. Good luck.

Gary
Old 05-06-2016, 08:48 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 66/427
I noticed you are in B C If that car was sold new in Canada from a Chev. dealer GM Heritage should have the order info for this vehicle. That will give you the exterior colour interior colour engine option, trans, but I do not believe you will get the body no. The car has to have been sold new not imported from the USA

RIC

Bill
Old 05-06-2016, 10:40 PM
roadster64
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Canadian info as i do believe it was originally from Alberta. But never know, basically i dont really care if its exactly matching as the car is not really stock or will be a full stock restoration. I more or less want it as a formality ie. in the event i am asked to show it at a border crossing ect. I would like it to look factory as i am quite sure anyone asking about it wont have a clue what the codes on the tag actually are. And if thats the case i will just make something up then and roll with it. Thanks again everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Tag Question

Quick Reply: Body Tag Question