C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

L88 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:40 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Thomas also supplied a conversion kit to put a MK-IV into a solid axle Corvette. In '69 I bought a 396 out of PA that came with that kit, including headers, a bracket for the Z-bar and a few other things that I can't remember.
I appreciate your history about Thomas having Doug build headers. I never knew if he made his own or not in the '60s.

Verne
Actually Bill Thomas projects were dependent on how busy he was or the time frame or deadlines. He was capable of building headers there in his shop. Sometimes he would mock them up, but the production of a bunch of units was generally farmed out. On some cars, he did make them. The Nickey/Thomas car was built with the thought of going into production, so he I am sure from memory, mocked up the variation for the prototype, and then had Doug's do them. Doug's was a Whittier Boulevard shop outfit, and Bill Thomas did a lot of Don Steves Chevrolet Cars there on Whittier Boulevard also (my home stomping grounds), so they knew each other well. The racing community around the famous Hot Rod Cruising Boulevard of Whittier was a hot bed of famous guys that all knew and did work for each other or who raced each other. On some of the Bill Thomas Race Cars, Doug's is identified on some of those cars. I forgot my Log Ins for both of my Jalopnik User ID's, but if you key in Whittier Boulevard Hot Rod and that site, you will probably find some of my last and only TCracingCA posts, before forgetting what my password was. There for awhile, I started to just use one Name, instead of all of my forum aliases.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-09-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I hesitate to derail this thread from L-88s but this latest information has me pic'd. The Dan Gurney '61 Impala had a set of headers on it. They were unique in that they had round collector flanges and I've been on a quest to figure out who made them. Thomas did the engine blueprinting on it, with the help of Bill Fowler who worked at Frank Arciero's shop in Montebello. The car was bought through Don Steves, who along with Bill and Dan watched it being built at the Van Nuys plant.
Verne
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I hesitate to derail this thread from L-88s but this latest information has me pic'd. The Dan Gurney '61 Impala had a set of headers on it. They were unique in that they had round collector flanges and I've been on a quest to figure out who made them. Thomas did the engine blueprinting on it, with the help of Bill Fowler who worked at Frank Arciero's shop in Montebello. The car was bought through Don Steves, who along with Bill and Dan watched it being built at the Van Nuys plant.
Verne
On this Camaro topic, we are talking about the same families in a particular era of engines as the thread topic. So we are on the boundaries of the thread topic, as we are talking about cars generally that used the very special good parts from the Chevrolet HiPo Parts line.

Hey Verne, I can put that on my list of things to watch out for! I have so many requests for tidbits of info from people. Like just before this I had Fred Yeakel see an old posting where I posted Fire pictures of the burned out Bill Thomas Shop. Then I pulled them down, lost a hard drive and then forgot I had them completely, and then remembered I did etc. (sign of getting older). I did find some pictures of close ups of Cheetahs I thought looked burnt, so I posted one of those, but wasn't sure if they were or weren't fire damage shots, and they weren't but of another Cheetah tragedy. So I am now looking again for those pictures I am sure I can one day find again, and now can't at the moment. With me, if I am on a subject and you want to know something more, you have to hit me up while I am on that subject or have that stuff out, and can look. If you let it pass, then I may not come around to it again, when I am in one of these sharing moods (which is getting rarer)!

There was an independent header maker that was for awhile was the go to outfit for Dana Chevrolet for a short period. I just can't remember the guys name. Not much in print on Dana. Dana Camaro, is the guy to hit up on Dana, as he knows far more than me. But all of us with true Dana Connections are a pretty tight club, and some things still don't get shared. No promises. I do have Directories from the Mid 60s on practically every speed shop or performance outfit in the entire US in a book, and one from the same source from about 1972. It has been rare that an outfit of notoriety pops up that isn't in one or the other publication I have (those books are like the 1969/70 yellow pages just for Hot Rod shops. Now I would have to look for those. One of my Cars is a Don Steves Sponsored racer that ran the tracks 1959/70, and I knew him (Don Steve’s) personally, but never with him delved into his NASCAR efforts, but have on just about everything else. The MacDonald family is pretty studied up on their history, during there Dad's, Brother, Husbands, racing days prior to the fateful day at Indy (RIP). They know a lot of Don Steves history too, and somehow I was looking at Corvette Race registry on something or other and accidently rejoined that Group?, not knowing I did it when it happened. I quit the Group back awhile ago, and have no plans to be a know it all member and participate, but the MacDonald son is on there frequently, and they have a website. You might want to link up with him, and ask. I think he has done a great job on Dave MacDonald's racing history (one of the best efforts I have seen), a true tribute. I spotted one anamoly in a sponsorship and tried to help him correct, not knowing that he had already corrected it, as I was looking at older data he posted up. Thus got him confused about it, but that happens. His stuff is real accurate. He might be the leading Don Steves expert, of similar knowledge as the 68 Dana expert (I am not good remember names). I am further down on the ladder, as I study too broad of an area of car culture and racing. I don't specialize in anything in particular, so I have been critized, because sometimes I am not a match for someone who lives, eats, and breaths a particular narrow area pertaining to a specific guy (racer or car builder), shop, or outfit, dealership etc.. And sometimes I pull up things that no one else has or knows about! One thing I do, is listing the chosen components for these special tuner builds. What brands they used, but have never done it for anything NASCAR.

I see this thread is getting views, as it is historical type stuff. And the players were involved usually in all things Chevrolet, to include our beloved Corvettes. As long as we stay totally interesting to the general forum and don't get into a pissing contest, we will probably be allowed to exchange. If the investor types come in and start saying we are all wrong on things, I will try to bite my tongue, and leave, and go back to PRC.

Arciero's I have had a number of conversations, but never with them about Chevrolets. I am not even sure if they are still local, as they were over near or in Anaheim Hills near the 55 and 91 junction. And if I have ever ran into Fowler, I didn't know who he was, or know to talk to him about anything. I don't think I know him, except by name.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-10-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ps Dan Gurney, Phil Hill and Carrol Shelby and the like we’re all members at one time or another of Corvette Super Sports Club and attended Race club meetings there on Whittier Boulevard, which met out of Don Steve’s Chevrolet! This was actually a Club for racers, and then changed to a club of race enthusiasts and presently just your typical Club, with their own Annual Car Show that I have visited a few times, but never entered a car, except in I think either 1983 or 1985, sticks in my head. But back in the day, they organized the Car Corral at like the Times Grand Prix events, being racing enthusiast. Me knowing Don Steves I attended some meetings in the 80s/90s? One of my girlfriends even bought one of their jackets that I still have. They have a club historian, but I spun his head around one afternoon with asking about some of this history and he just stared back blankly. Pretty much any history is documenting 2000 and up events and happenings (who in the club got a new car or had a baby type stuff)!

Most Of these Corvette clubs have nothing except a paragraph on their clubs ancient history and memberships. When going thru some US Navy schooling out of Vallejo California (early to mid 80s), I hung out with NCCA (oldest Organized Corvette Club) who was all into autocross and a picture of me and my group, showed up in Vette Vues even. But going back and making inquiries nets no find of anyone active who knows squat about the history! But maybe I just haven’t found the right people to talk to at these clubs!

You would think these clubs would know something about the car and history and Dan Gurney, but I doubt it. I don’t fit in with the modern focus of polish and shine crowd, so I don’t join.

PS Mickey Thompson did some custom round tube headers. Maybe some pictures of those could be compared to what under the car you are inquiring about!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-10-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:10 AM
W Guy
Drifting

Here's a picture of Bill Fowler with Thomas discussing the modifications to be made to Dan's Impala. Fowler is still alive (in his 80s) and I've talked to him. He doesn't remember who did the headers on the car. The Thomas catalog I have doesn't list headers so I don't think they were marketed.
Name:  Fowler & Thomas. engine compartment.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  62.6 KB
Interesting that you brought up Dave MacDonald. After Dan's Impala was done, he tested it at Riverside and set the track record, besting Dave's time (in a Corvette) by .8sec.
Here's another photo of the engine after they were done with it. You can see the round collector flange on the headers.
Name:  Engine after rebuild.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  64.6 KB

Verne
Old 03-10-2018, 09:23 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Here's a picture of Bill Fowler with Thomas discussing the modifications to be made to Dan's Impala. Fowler is still alive (in his 80s) and I've talked to him. He doesn't remember who did the headers on the car. The Thomas catalog I have doesn't list headers so I don't think they were marketed.
Attachment 48262553
Interesting that you brought up Dave MacDonald. After Dan's Impala was done, he tested it at Riverside and set the track record, besting Dave's time (in a Corvette) by .8sec.
Here's another photo of the engine after they were done with it. You can see the round collector flange on the headers.
Attachment 48262554

Verne
One of our cars was minorly sponsored by Cone Chevrolet out of Fullerton! So I have tracked Dealership related sponsorship and race related interest of them! A clue for you was Bill Thomas did the engine for the Hayden Profit Car (the red Drag race championship winning car) in those same early years, sponsored by Cone. I bet whoever did some of the header work on that car, was the go to guy for the Don Steves car’s headers on those NASCARS.

That Car is still around, so I would hit up the Owner, if you can find a way to find and contact that person.

Sorry for my bizarre process! As someone hits on something, you see how my brain travels the circuit of connected outfits and people close in association or involved with something for a moment or period of time. And it now, has caused me to give you the Hayden Profit Z-11 clue! Heck Vern I bet we could now search that car on the internet and come up with some of the build specs and brands of parts used on that car, which would be in the exact same date range of the Don Steves sponsored NASCAR you are inquiring about, as both car’s engines were done by Bill Thomas!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-10-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:29 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ps a set of those old unique header flanges was selling on eBay last week! These can be used to replicate the units you may be inquiring about!

I think they were at like peanuts around $250 for the pair! I don’t do big blocks, with only a 396 1966 SS Chevelle ownership in my history (short time and flipped it for major Profit). I have the best of the best (baddest a$$ produced parts ) of the Chevrolet Performance Small Block wares as some of you know! So I am not a bidder on those flanges or they would have been gone already!

If they are still available, you better get them quick or Rex L88 will probably own them!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-10-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:45 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Ok just read the super cool Super Chevy article of the Hayden Profit Bubble top Impala drag car and it has some issues here and there on the history in that article, but is really good and a fun read!

I bet 100%, that Jardine built those headers! PS he was a Corvette racer running in the C/SP and B/SP drag classes with my Dad and John Mazmanian (Whittier guy we all know and was President there for awhile of Corvette Super Sports Club that I mentioned) all racing out here in SOCal against each other (Schiefer, Bones, and all of the others). He had the Green Drag Corvette Coupe (Marrs Brothers/Blairs in Pasadena)with the beam front suspension. I will have to look up where Jardine shop and operation was based out of! Most went into the Gasser ranks, as the early SP- Sports Car was essential killed by the new rule rewrites, I think in 1968! But Gassers was a run what you brung class originally, but still indexed A, B, C etc. (A/G or AA/G etc).
I track and collect data and notes on famous Drag Corvettes running out here too, is a sideline of mine!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

One of our cars was minorly sponsored by Cone Chevrolet out of Fullerton! So I have tracked Dealership related sponsorship and race related interest of them! A clue for you was Bill Thomas did the engine for the Hayden Profit Car (the red Drag race championship winning car) in those same early years, sponsored by Cone. I bet whoever did some of the header work on that car, was the go to guy for the Don Steves car’s headers on those NASCARS.

That Car is still around, so I would hit up the Owner, if you can find a way to find and contact that person.

Sorry for my bizarre process! As someone hits on something, you see how my brain travels the circuit of connected outfits and people close in association or involved with something for a moment or period of time. And it now, has caused me to give you the Hayden Profit Z-11 clue! Heck Vern I bet we could now search that car on the internet and come up with some of the build specs and brands of parts used on that car, which would be in the exact same date range of the Don Steves sponsored NASCAR you are inquiring about, as both car’s engines were done by Bill Thomas!
I'm in touch with Hayden. The headers on his '62 Belair were S&S
Name:  Profitt.'62.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  70.6 KB
BTW: Gurnery's Impala was not NASCAR. It was built for Saloon racing in England.

Verne
Old 03-10-2018, 01:14 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I'm in touch with Hayden. The headers on his '62 Belair were S&S
Attachment 48262626
BTW: Gurnery's Impala was not NASCAR. It was built for Saloon racing in England.

Verne
Darn! I thought we figured it out maybe! I will still pull those Directories out, as I had them out recently and look for different Companies! On many Companies, I started a list on when they were founded and in business, but just for Southern California, but haven't got too far on that!
I will look up S&S and Jardine etc.

and we we don't know for sure if the guys with such a car have it all accurate 100% of the time!

I will have to pull out and see see if I have records of this car running in European events! As usual I have a whole weekend of plans already! But maybe at night I can do some looking.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-10-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

Darn! I thought we figured it out maybe! I will still pull those Directories out, as I had them out recently and look for different Companies! On many Companies, I started a list on when they were founded and in business, but just for Southern California, but haven't got too far on that!
I will look up S&S and Jardine etc.

and we we don't know for sure if the guys with such a car have it all accurate 100% of the time!

I will have to pull out and see see if I have records of this car running in European events! As usual I have a whole weekend of plans already! But maybe at night I can do some looking.
Don't waste your time looking up records for that '61. I have it's full history. It only ran one race at Silverstone on May 6th. It led 6 3.8 Jags all the way until the next to the last lap when it lost the left rear wheel. Sold to Laurie O'Niel and shipped to Australia. He raced it a few times then it went through a number of owners. It is now in my garage but will soon be shipped to a new owner in England. I'm doing some restoration work on it before it goes

Verne

Quick Reply: L88 Engines