C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sidepipe Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Freakinhobo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sidepipe Cover Replacement

A number of years ago there was a small accident due to a stuck throttle. Car sideswiped into a brick mailbox destroying the driver side pipe. Since then I have had the exhaust portion replaced, but the cover was bent (impacted the center) and ripped out of the fiberglass.

I finally have got to replacing the cover and had a question as to the best way to do this. I was going to attempt some minor fiberglass repair or simply fill with resin, but I'm wondering if I even need to do that. Below you can see the passenger side that was installed almost 10 years ago using large rivets. I'm wondering if I could take it to a shop and have them simply rivet the cover on the driver side similar to the passenger side. Thoughts?

Old 05-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Where is the trim retaining strip? You should do it right with fiberglass repair. Dennis
Old 05-30-2016, 05:27 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Yes - they kind of took a short cut with that pop rivet. You need to install the retainer bar to secure the molding that goes over the top of the cover. As an option to repairing the fiberglass at this time you might be able to use some of those flat steel nut plates. Not sure what the correct term is for them but they are the little rectangular, slightly curved, spring steel pieces with a screw hole in the center.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:28 PM
Freakinhobo
Racer

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Yes - they kind of took a short cut with that pop rivet. You need to install the retainer bar to secure the molding that goes over the top of the cover. As an option to repairing the fiberglass at this time you might be able to use some of those flat steel nut plates. Not sure what the correct term is for them but they are the little rectangular, slightly curved, spring steel pieces with a screw hole in the center.
I have those retaining nuts.. but what is this retainer bar? I mean have have the trim strip but I thought that went on over the side exhaust cover.. I took the passenger one off to take pics.

Last edited by Freakinhobo; 05-30-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:28 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's a piece of strip steel roughly 1 inch wide from memory with a rolled bead top and bottom. The upper rocker molding flange secures behind it to hold it in place. When installing the screws that secure the metal strip and the cover, you have to leave them a little loose so the rocker molding will be able to slide down over it. It's a bit tricky as it can scratch the paint above on the fender areas. Some have removed a wheel and slid them on from the end. Just about any Corvette parts house will have them and except for shipping they should be pretty inexpensive.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Freakinhobo
Racer

It's a piece of strip steel roughly 1 inch wide from memory with a rolled bead top and bottom. The upper rocker molding flange secures behind it to hold it in place. When installing the screws that secure the metal strip and the cover, you have to leave them a little loose so the rocker molding will be able to slide down over it. It's a bit tricky as it can scratch the paint above on the fender areas. Some have removed a wheel and slid them on from the end. Just about any Corvette parts house will have them and except for shipping they should be pretty inexpensive.
I see it.. they seem pretty cheap. I'll have to open it and see exactly how it fits.. hard to tell from the diagram. Wonder why that's not included in the installation/mounting hardware I got years back?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:26 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I may be incorrect on this but I believe that retainer strip is used for both the standard under-car exhaust rocker moldings and the side pipe exhaust rocker moldings. So, it's probably not specific to the side pipe cars. Not sure of this - both C2 Corvettes I've owned had side pipes.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Paster
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I may be incorrect on this but I believe that retainer strip is used for both the standard under-car exhaust rocker moldings and the side pipe exhaust rocker moldings. So, it's probably not specific to the side pipe cars. Not sure of this - both C2 Corvettes I've owned had side pipes.

You are correct, the same retainer strip is used for both side exhaust trim and the standard rocker panel moldings.

-Michael

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipe Cover Replacement

Quick Reply: Sidepipe Cover Replacement