C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:44 AM
shiky
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gas tank

hello everyone just realized I have a pin hole in side of my gas tank from previous owner screwing in a leather panel on back of seat.i will be pulling tank out and just asking if anyone had any problems pulling the rubber neck where you fill up.also would like to know if anyone has ever used permatex gas tank repair.thanks
Old 06-11-2016, 08:51 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Personally, I would not put a bandaide on it. Remove it and have it professionally repaired. Dennis
Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You could try the Permatex 'patch' but I agree .. a proper fix is best.
I tend towards 'overkill' on safety items, gas tanks and brakes being two of those areas...
Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have known some that have shot a bigger diameter screw in the hole to seal it for a permanent repair.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

If the tank is in otherwise good condition and you can reach this spot, one idea would be to take a small SS sheet metal screw and screw it in to the hole to stop the leak. If it's visible (and it bothers you) you could even file the screw head nearly flush and ad a dab of JB Weld.
Sure beats removing the tank and having to get it welded some place. Pilot Dan
Old 06-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Donn21
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my gas tank a few years back. Wasn't a real tough job, having side pipes instead of the standard exhaust made life a lot easier. If you think your tank can be salvaged, don't screw around. Take it out and have it done right. Safety is paramount. A C2 on fire is not good theatre.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

New correct tanks are relatively cheap. They look and fit just like orginal. I wouldn't even think about repairing one if its old. Chance are that pin hole isn't the only one that will show up. So buy a new one and have peice of mind for the next 50 years
Old 06-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
If the tank is in otherwise good condition and you can reach this spot, one idea would be to take a small SS sheet metal screw and screw it in to the hole to stop the leak. If it's visible (and it bothers you) you could even file the screw head nearly flush and ad a dab of JB Weld.
If you are going to do the screw job, use the special screws that are used for the filler neck. They come with a rubber seal just for that purpose as they enter the tank when used to connect the the neck to body

Jack
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jackfit
If you are going to do the screw job, use the special screws that are used for the filler neck. They come with a rubber seal just for that purpose as they enter the tank when used to connect the the neck to body

Jack
Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by shiky
hello everyone just realized I have a pin hole in side of my gas tank from previous owner screwing in a leather panel on back of seat.i will be pulling tank out and just asking if anyone had any problems pulling the rubber neck where you fill up.also would like to know if anyone has ever used permatex gas tank repair.thanks
Year? Your post doesn't say, and there's ZERO information in your profile.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I have used various adhesive products to try to repair pin holes. Found none permanent. After a few years, they started seeping.
I vote for getting it welded if the tank is sound. Second is the screw with a gasket under the head or a blind rivet with a gasket under the head. These are permanent repairs.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Just to be clear, I would only recommend the screw repair as a quick fix to an otherwise perfect rust free tank that got a pin hole from the OUTSIDE IN not the other way around (to fix rust). If it comes down to removing the tank, just replace it. That's a no brainer, they are cheap, and not worth welding an old one which likely has some fine rust after 50 years.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

The screws used to secure the filler necks to the tank have a tapping ring spotwelded inside the tank that have adequate threads for the screws. Since it has to come out anyway, I suggest you replace the tank just like all the others have recommended.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 06-12-2016, 08:22 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

It's all what you can afford.
Best: Buy a new tank if you have the funds. $$$$
Second best: inspect the tank inside and out for rust and corrosion. If none or surface rust with no pitting, have it welded. Clean up the surface rust and coat it. Unless you are going for the GOLD. $$
Third best: inspect the tank inside and out for rust and corrosion. If none or surface rust with no pitting, sheet metal screw with fuel resistant washer for a quick, cheap, but not permanent repair. $
Fourth: Hole in rusty tank, pitted and on the edge of additional leaks other than the BUBBA puncture - Bite the bullet, sell the kid's candy and video games and pawn the wife's diamond, buy a new tank. $!$! They will forgive you in 20 or 30 years, maybe.
Good luck.
I don't have an answer to the rubber neck question, last time I dealt with one was not on a gas tank, but a red head. Anyone give him pointers on the RUBBER NECK??
Is this a C1 or C2???

Last edited by R66; 06-12-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Rubber neck question
Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 PM
shiky
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
It's all what you can afford.
Best: Buy a new tank if you have the funds. $$$$
Second best: inspect the tank inside and out for rust and corrosion. If none or surface rust with no pitting, have it welded. Clean up the surface rust and coat it. Unless you are going for the GOLD. $$
Third best: inspect the tank inside and out for rust and corrosion. If none or surface rust with no pitting, sheet metal screw with fuel resistant washer for a quick, cheap, but not permanent repair. $
Fourth: Hole in rusty tank, pitted and on the edge of additional leaks other than the BUBBA puncture - Bite the bullet, sell the kid's candy and video games and pawn the wife's diamond, buy a new tank. $!$! They will forgive you in 20 or 30 years, maybe.
Good luck.
I don't have an answer to the rubber neck question, last time I dealt with one was not on a gas tank, but a red head. Anyone give him pointers on the RUBBER NECK??
Is this a C1 or C2???
sorry about the profile I am new to this.the car is a 54 vette.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Even as a small boy I thought to myself. This woman needs to get out of her rocker and help the poor old man out!

Replace the tank

Last edited by jimh_1962; 06-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Used JB weld on Carburetor gas finally came thru didn't hold .
Just saying that's my experience .
Old 06-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rtruman
Used JB weld on Carburetor gas finally came thru didn't hold .
Just saying that's my experience .
No surprise there.
In this case, the SCREW would plug the leak and the JB weld would lock it in place from the outside. Not suggesting to use it as a sealer by itself which sounds like what you did.
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Replace the tank - no-brainer. They're cheap.

Get notified of new replies

To gas tank

Quick Reply: gas tank