C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Building a scale `67 Corvette L-88 version of the $3.5 million car, or Irwin Kroiz`s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Hawk312
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Building a scale `67 Corvette L-88 version of the $3.5 million car, or Irwin Kroiz`s?

First of all, let me know if you guys would rather not see my posts here. For the past 7 or 8 years, I have been dropping quite a few of these threads on you.

Soooo, here we go yet again.

Some of you remember the first c2 L-88 from back in 2009:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-finished.html

And then I shared with you an identical follow up back in 2010:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-take-two.html

More recently, I shared my interpretation of the Barrett Jackson $3.5 million car that was auctioned off in 2014:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...llion-car.html

So the time has come, and I am starting another one. For this one, I haven`t yet decided if I am going to build one similar to the red and black Barrett Jackson car again, or Irwin Kroiz`s black and red car, which I personally like just a little bit more.

For those unfamiliar with what is involved, I am starting with a kit from the early `80s, which is a tri-power kit with turbine wheels, and is fully optioned. That means that the entire intake on the engine has to go and be replaced by a scratch built intake. I will also be casting an adding my own `67 style Rallye wheels. The dash will need to have all of the accessories removed. And that`s just to start. Many other modifications will need to be made.

Here is what I have so far. It`s not much, but I hope to make much more progress soon.

Body with only the automotive lacquer base coat. This is what it looks like before all the clear and polishing:

Just a start on the engine. Seams removed, painted, and oil pan slightly polished, but not too much:

As always, I appreciate your input! Over the years, I received sooo much information from this group, in particular here in the C1 and C2 forum, and it has really help me to improve my builds!! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I followed the last one you put together...loved the craftsmanship and detail...

How about after you finish this one you do the 'Corvair' motorama car..."Mike Terry' and 'Vette Daddy' and ...
Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

Keep your posts coming. The detail of your work is incredible. I've enjoyed them all. In the right photographic setting, I would have a hard time telling your models from the real thing.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:14 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I am a model builder also

It is Ok for this forum! I thought your sharing was cool being on the C2 as the die cast forum mostly just talks about what is for sale!

I have a 1:12 Scale Nichimo Greenwood Corvette and I was going to scratch build it up with one of the 1967 chassis and engines! I will have the Australian decal guy to make me a special 1:12 decal set for it!

I wanted to do both the Dana Chevrolet race 1967 L88 cars, but would have to pull a resin mold from my big 1:12 Metal 1967 Corvette and convert the coupe to a convertible!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-13-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Hawk312
Pro

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
It is Ok for this forum! I thought your sharing was cool being on the C2 as the die cast forum mostly just talks about what is for sale!

I have a 1:12 Scale Nichimo Greenwood Corvette and I was going to scratch build it up with one of the 1967 chassis and engines! I will have the Australian decal guy to make me a special 1:12 decal set for it!
I`m sorry....I`m not familiar with this kit. Which kit is this?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 AM
dserge
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I love your work , please keep posting.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Gary D. Jaynes
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Love your work, so keep posting. love the black/blue, would love to see a black one with blue interior. You do have the patience.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:44 PM
jpcarter48
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work, have you ever considered building cars for others?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Hawk312
Pro

Originally Posted by Gary D. Jaynes
Love your work, so keep posting. love the black/blue, would love to see a black one with blue interior. You do have the patience.
I like that scheme too. This one might end up black and red. I`m not sure yet, and am kind of torn between the choices. I have to keep in mind that this will be going to someone else too, so that will weigh in on my decision...
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I don't think these were sold in the US

Originally Posted by Hawk312
Thanks guys!

I`m sorry....I`m not familiar with this kit. Which kit is this?
I am a static detailed model guy and not a radio control guy! But it is kind of cool as it is! I tried for years to find a second one of these, but zero luck!
Ps for scale I put my 1/18 scale Greenwood to show you the scale on this 1:12 scale car! I do need to check the actual scale on that big car to ensure it isn't actually 1:10 scale! If it isn't scale appropriate to 1:12, then the conversion idea would be a bust!

Also because I now have the 1;18 scale car, I also am wrestling with doing an actual model conversion!

Maybe I put it to you guys!

Should I change the radio control to a static professionally built model or keep it as a jumbo radio controlled Greenwood!

I bought this car in Belgium along time ago and it is the only one I have ever seen! I have a lot if weird stuff that is Corvette related in my house as you guys have seen over time!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Hawk312
Pro

I am a static detailed model guy and not a radio control guy! But it is kind of cool as it is! I tried for years to find a second one of these, but zero luck!
Ps for scale I put my 1/18 scale Greenwood to show you the scale on this 1:12 scale car! I do need to check the actual scale on that big car to ensure it isn't actually 1:10 scale! If it isn't scale appropriate to 1:12, then the conversion idea would be a bust!

Also because I now have the 1;18 scale car, I also am wrestling with doing an actual model conversion!

Maybe I put it to you guys!

Should I change the radio control to a static professionally built model or keep it as a jumbo radio controlled Greenwood!

I bought this car in Belgium along time ago and it is the only one I have ever seen! I have a lot if weird stuff that is Corvette related in my house as you guys have seen over time!

That`s cool. I have to say I`ve been into R/C for quite a long time and never seen that one before. I think converting it to a model is a cool idea. I don`t know about those proportions though. Looks a little squished lengthwise? Have you looked into the Otaki 1/12 kit? That would make a nice display model of a c3 in 1/12 scale:

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Hawk, no one ever gets tired of seeing great craftsmanship, large or small. Keep up the good work and never stop posting here.

Claysmoker
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Your attention to detail and skill level are at a level others can only aspire to achieve.
Please keep the pictures coming. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:06 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I got Otaki stuff also

That`s cool. I have to say I`ve been into R/C for quite a long time and never seen that one before. I think converting it to a model is a cool idea. I don`t know about those proportions though. Looks a little squished lengthwise? Have you looked into the Otaki 1/12 kit? That would make a nice display model of a c3 in 1/12 scale:

I am now thinking of pulling a mold from it and working on the accuracy! I have never done one that big yet! My brother thinks it would be cool to keep it as a radio control! I have about 200 started model projects I haven't finished yet!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-15-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,037 Likes on 1,251 Posts

You are an artist! Keep the posts coming!
Old 06-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Hawk312
Pro

Thanks Louie!

I am now thinking of pulling a mold from it and working on the accuracy! I have never done one that big yet! My brother thinks it would be cool to keep it as a radio control! I have about 200 started model projects I haven't finished yet!!
200?!! Wow. I don`t feel like a procrastinator anymore. How do you manage to get up to 200 started projects?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default This is an honest answer, but if you want something released in Diecast

Thanks Louie!

200?!! Wow. I don`t feel like a procrastinator anymore. How do you manage to get up to 200 started projects?
I will start a kit build and when I am 1/2 way done, guarantee someone will release a Diecast of exactly what I was scratch building and didn't previously exist!

I was making a Batmobile from an actual Ford Futura plastic kit and out it came from Polar lights and then Diecast by Mattel.

I started on all five Grand Sports and then those came out!

I started many a muscle car and out comes a Diecast car, and I threw up my hands to surrender when Hwy 61 and Lane came along!

I scratch build the first ever 1/24 1973 Porsche 917-30 and then Umi and Fisher came out followed by Exoto 1/18, so I have all of those also!

I was making a Corvette GTP from the Dealership promo and out comes a complete resin kit!

Like I have three McCormick and Hardcastle Coyote cars cut apart and two Accurate Minature 1/24 1969 McLarens trying to scratch build one accurate scale 1/24 1969 McLaren M6 GT right now, so watch for the Diecast any time now!

And it has happened like 50 times! Plus like I have every early McLaren ever made in 1/43 all freshly painted and Things like that are sitting there! I have 5000+ 1/43, 2500+1/24 and 1/25! Not counting slot cars like I have 1963-70 Sports Racers and GT cars of every type! I have every significant Ferrari and Porsche race car in 1/24 many started! I kind of need therapy!!!!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-17-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Building a scale `67 Corvette L-88 version of the $3.5 million car, or Irwin Kroiz`s?

Old 06-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Hawk312
Pro

Progress is a little slow this time.
So, I lost my mold for the intake in the move to our new house. So I had to create a new one with modeling putty. I think this one came out better than the previous one I used on the Barrett Jackson car at least. The mold is in the upper right corner. I am going to cast it at see how it looks, and hold on to the original master in case it needs tweaked.

Since there was no radio, the radio and all the controls needed to be removed in the dash. Its tricky trying to pull that off and not damage the sides of the dash. It is a tight area.

And the heater core detail on the firewall needed to be removed.

I am still really torn on the color. Not sure what to do.

Last edited by Hawk312; 06-25-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:03 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These builds are fascinating, your patience and attention to detail are just incredible. Just wondering if you have ever considered building a replica of the Bob Wingate FSO Corvette? Because I saw that car all the time growing up it is kind of burned into my mind what a 1967 Corvette should be. Looking forward to following your build on this one.
Bruce
Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Hawk312
Pro

Originally Posted by b_pappy
These builds are fascinating, your patience and attention to detail are just incredible. Just wondering if you have ever considered building a replica of the Bob Wingate FSO Corvette? Because I saw that car all the time growing up it is kind of burned into my mind what a 1967 Corvette should be. Looking forward to following your build on this one.
Bruce

Thanks!
And do you mean this:

Yeah, definitely. I have some pictures of that car for reference! Someday I want to build one!

Quick Reply: Building a scale `67 Corvette L-88 version of the $3.5 million car, or Irwin Kroiz`s?