C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air cleaner base for double pumper on 327

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 PM
dados66
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Air cleaner base for double pumper on 327

For those of you who are using a double pump Holley carburetor rather than the original style, what air cleaner base has worked well? The standard air cleaner base does not fit carbs with double accelerator pumps according to Paragon's website and my own experience in the past (when I just got out the Dremel--don't want to do that this time).

I am using an L79 intake on my 66's 327 as pictured. Forums for other makes have suggested this intake base as a solution for other applications since apparently this base was installed in cars came with double pump carbs. But I don't know about any other factors, like the draft tube it looks like it has.

Thanks!
Attached Images   

Last edited by dados66; 06-14-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: edit photos
Old 06-14-2016, 04:30 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

The 65-67 SB base fits just fine with a vac carb. they say the secondary accelerator linkage hits the base... I dunno....
The base in your link may clear the secondary linkage but it will not work with your 327 draft tube.

Now, you "could" take that base (if it does indeed clear the linkage) and custom mod the draft tube to the right side (BB and 350s had the draft tube plumbed to the valve covers on the left side) Takes a little work but doable...

I like your fuel line solution.
Here is mine...

Last edited by DucatiDon; 06-14-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

that base you have a link to fits double pumpers, L88 , and is for a 14" diameter air filter. By draft tube I assume you mean the oil fill tube which is more than 7" from the center stud of the carburetor.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:36 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I have used the Z-28 units or the big block or spacers or shields

Typically cars that used double pumper type carbs usually the solid lifter type cars running 780 -850 units!

Make sure shatevrr you buy, that you can return it, if it does t quite do it!

I run the insulation plates, but those alone don't marry well with a DP carb!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:38 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default I have used the Z-28 units or the big block or spacers or shields

Typically cars that used double pumper type carbs usually the solid lifter type cars running 780 -850 units!

Make sure whatevrr you buy, that you can return it, if it does t quite do it!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:31 PM
dados66
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
The 65-67 SB base fits just fine with a vac carb. they say the secondary accelerator linkage hits the base... I dunno....
The base in your link may clear the secondary linkage but it will not work with your 327 draft tube.

Now, you "could" take that base (if it does indeed clear the linkage) and custom mod the draft tube to the right side (BB and 350s had the draft tube plumbed to the valve covers on the left side) Takes a little work but doable...

I like your fuel line solution.
Here is mine...

It's a mechanical secondary carb. Thanks for the info on the draft tube...it looks like I will have to find another way...

Thanks--it's a stock '68 Z/28 fuel line. I like that it's a stock Chevrolet solution even if it's not Corvette. I like yours too! And the heads look fancy too!

Originally Posted by MelWff
that base you have a link to fits double pumpers, L88 , and is for a 14" diameter air filter. By draft tube I assume you mean the oil fill tube which is more than 7" from the center stud of the carburetor.
No...I think it is part of the road draft tube system.

Originally Posted by TCracingCA

Make sure shatevrr you buy, that you can return it, if it does t quite do it!

The engine has a moderately aggressive hydraulic roller cam and the carb is a 650. My engine builder tuned the carb for the engine. I don't have an original carb.

Last edited by dados66; 06-14-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Air cleaner base for double pumper on 327

Quick Reply: Air cleaner base for double pumper on 327