C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Axle Seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:26 AM
ByByeAmericanPie
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear Axle Seals

I recently replace the rear axle seals (O-rings) on my 61. Now I notice a leak again. What could be causing the issue to continue even with new seals?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

If you replaced the O-rings with those from one of the Corvette supply companies, beware that not all axle bearing use the same size O-rings.

Also, the axle housing, where the bearing/O-rings slide into and seat, must be smooth (may have been gouged or rusted).

I determine the O-ring size, and get a batch of new ones from McMaster-Carr, or a local bearing supplier. If you have a bearing supply company local, it may be better to just take the axle / bearing assembly to them (with an accurate measurement of the axle housing ID - where the O-ring seats), so that they can supply the correct O-ring.

Are you sure it is the O-rings that are leaking?

If you find that the axle housing interior surface is too damaged for a good seal, it may be necessary to add an additional seal barrier (clean the surface well with alcohol or laquer thinner, and add a bead of Ultra RTV around the axle housing to bearing junction). Of course, adding this extra RTV seal will make it a little more difficult to yank out the axle next time........

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 09-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Also, in addition to what has been said about the O-ring, it is quite possible that the seal INSIDE (seal between the races) the bearing is leaking (VERY common source of an axle leak). The ONLY fix for a leak at that location is to replace the bearing. SOME places sell separate seals for the bearing---------BUUUUUUUUT, they do not tell you that the bearing must be removed-----------------NOR, do they tell you that the seal they sell may not fit your bearing!!!!!!!!!!
The rear axle bearings were made by multiple manufacturers, and a replacement seal may or may not fit your particular bearing!!! In any case, to replace that seal, the bearing MUST come off. Now, in order to remove the bearing, the lock ring must be destroyed---------------------SEPARATE LOCK RINGS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!!!!! (read the bold, all caps part again)
IF, IF, IF the seal inside the bearing is the source of the leak, there is a VERY HIGH PROBABILITY that the bearing is going bad (maybe it's been wobbling and caused the seal to fail).
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, bottom line, if the inside seal is what's leaking, then the only fix is to replace the bearing.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 09-01-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:10 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Or you could put in a 9" Ford rear set up
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM
ByByeAmericanPie
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Also, in addition to what has been said about the O-ring, it is quite possible that the seal INSIDE (seal between the races) the bearing is leaking (VERY common source of an axle leak). The ONLY fix for a leak at that location is to replace the bearing. SOME places sell separate seals for the bearing---------BUUUUUUUUT, they do not tell you that the bearing must be removed-----------------NOR, do they tell you that the seal they sell may not fit your bearing!!!!!!!!!!
The rear axle bearings were made by multiple manufacturers, and a replacement seal may or may not fit your particular bearing!!! In any case, to replace that seal, the bearing MUST come off. Now, in order to remove the bearing, the lock ring must be destroyed---------------------SEPARATE LOCK RINGS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!!!!! (read the bold, all caps part again)
IF, IF, IF the seal inside the bearing is the source of the leak, there is a VERY HIGH PROBABILITY that the bearing is going bad (maybe it's been wobbling and caused the seal to fail).
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, bottom line, if the inside seal is what's leaking, then the only fix is to replace the bearing.
So, what do I do if I need a lock ring?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ByByeAmericanPie
So, what do I do if I need a lock ring?
It will come with the new bearing.
The following users liked this post:
ByByeAmericanPie (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by davekp78
It will come with the new bearing.
Correct. Sorry, I failed to mention that.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Axle Seals

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Seals