C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

where to connect grounding Horn Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default where to connect grounding Horn Relay

Out of the ignition harness comes this ring terminal (encircled yellow), it's definitely a grounding wire, in the DocRebuild plastified diagrams I believe it's the Horn relay ground. I checked out the horn relay and it already 'sees' ground on the enclosure (through its mounting screw to the radiator support). Where does this ring terminal fit then?
Second, looking at the diagram, this ground wire goes to the alternator ground (encircled blue), and only there. Does this mean that the alternator is grounded through this ring terminal?
Attached Images   
Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

The ring terminal in your picture fits under the head of the mounting screw for the horn relay. It provides a hard wired ground connection for the radiator support.

The other black wire with ring terminal in the portion of the wiring diagram is fit on the ground terminal of the alternator.

There should also be one more black wire with a ring terminal along side the connector for the voltage regulator. That ring terminal fits under one of the three mounting screws for the voltage regulator.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Avispa
There should also be one more black wire with a ring terminal along side the connector for the voltage regulator. That ring terminal fits under one of the three mounting screws for the voltage regulator.
Thanks!
There is no separate ring terminal to go to the VR. That being said, I mounted a VR715 (Solid State) on rubber mounts. I presume I need to ground the casing by passing a ground loop over the rubber?
Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
There is no separate ring terminal to go to the VR.

There should be. This pic is for a '66 but should be similar.
Yellow arrow is Alternator ground.
Orange arrow is Voltage Regulator ground.

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Avispa
The ring terminal in your picture fits under the head of the mounting screw for the horn relay. It provides a hard wired ground connection for the radiator support.

The other black wire with ring terminal in the portion of the wiring diagram is fit on the ground terminal of the alternator.

I thought this one went under the screw on the side of the VR that holds the capacitor to the VR??
Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 PM
buns
Safety Car

AlexanderVDR, I checked your profile and found that you have a '64 with A/C. These cars mounted the voltage regulator to the rad support underneath the horn relay, so no need for a ground wire. Now looking at your first picture I see that's where you have it mounted.

For future reference:

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2016, 03:25 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by buns
AlexanderVDR, I checked your profile and found that you have a '64 with A/C. These cars mounted the voltage regulator to the rad support underneath the horn relay, so no need for a ground wire. Now looking at your first picture I see that's where you have it mounted.

It's an aftermarket A/C (Vintage Air). I wired everything with new LectricLimited harness. The VR and Horn relay are on the passenger side, the alternator on the driver side (using a harness extension) . The VR is mounted on rubber feet and isolated from the radiator support. Even if not necessary as you say (I am not sure though..), I assume there is no problem grounding the metallic VR casing?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
I thought this one went under the screw on the side of the VR that holds the capacitor to the VR??
No, that ground wire, if you have it, goes under one of the three screws that mount the VR to the inner fender. If your VR is mounted on the radiator support no extra ground wire is needed, but putting one in won't hurt anything
Old 09-14-2016, 02:51 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

I added one, just to be sure. Thanks all
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
buns
Safety Car

I found this at Corvette Central. Apparently in '64 and '65, the ground wire for the voltage regulator was not part of the harness. Second pic is of the rubber "well" nuts that mount the regulator. So you definitely need to use a ground wire no matter where the regulator is mounted.

Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To where to connect grounding Horn Relay

Quick Reply: where to connect grounding Horn Relay