C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water pump replacement. What kind of sealant to use on the gaskets and bolt threads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

I can't even guess at how many water pumps that I've replaced over the decades without any sealer, at all, and without any leaks.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I use it extensively on tapered pipe threads.

I tried using it on head studs and had massive coolant leaks. Never again!!!

The Right Stuff is simply amazing. Pricey, but well worth it!
Interesting on the head stud application, I'll keep that in mind.

The thing about The Right Stuff (no, I don't use it on threaded parts) is that you can drive the car right after tightening the bolts. We use it at the track when changing gear ratios on the older gearboxes.
Putting the gearbox covers on with RTV will leak immediately, TRS won't leak at all. We don't have the time to let the RTV set up at the track.
I used it on my LT1 waterpump and intake china walls 10 years ago, still no leaks.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

First i want to thank my fellow Corvette Forum members for all the good advice on what kind of sealer I should use on the gasket and threads

I have tried to get hold of Permatex No 2 and ARP Thread Sealer but i found out that they do not sell Permatex No 2 or ARP Thread Sealer
up here in northern Europe

One suggestion was to use Loctite #565 thread sealer on the threads on the bolts for the water pump and Loctite #565 is no problem to get here where i live.

I will check if i can get Permates The Right Stuff here as well

I found out that the Permatex Supra Blue is the same product as Ultra Blue. It is just called Supra Blue here in Europe

I think i will go for Permatex The Right Stuff and Loctite #565 thread sealer

I need to flush the cooling system as well so i have bought Valvoline VPS radiator flush.
I am not fond of using radiator flush thinking it may cause leaks but i need to use it since it was Dex Cool coolant in the cooling system of the car so i can get that flushed out properely
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheSaint; 09-29-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill32
Interesting on the head stud application, I'll keep that in mind..
It happened when I freshened my racing engine. I'd had good results with the ARP sealer on pipe threads and thought it could be a good choice on the head stud threads which invade the water jacket.

Was I ever wrong!!!

In this picture you can see the milky coolant (water + soluable oil) around the head stud and valve spring:

And in this picture, you can see coolant clinging to the shank of the head stud:

Never again!

The thing about The Right Stuff (no, I don't use it on threaded parts) is that you can drive the car right after tightening the bolts. We use it at the track when changing gear ratios on the older gearboxes.
Putting the gearbox covers on with RTV will leak immediately, TRS won't leak at all. We don't have the time to let the RTV set up at the track.
and this is a huge advantage of TRS.

My bride came in one time at Laguna Seca with oil all over the windshield from a valve cover gasket which had failed.

I Brakleen-ed everything, laid down a bead of TRS and mooshed the valve cover back on and she went back out.

Try that with any other sealer. Just try!

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement. What kind of sealant to use on the gaskets and bolt threads?