C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fitech efi on my 64

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default fi tech issues

Originally Posted by 1963nova#1
I would like to tell everyone my experience with Fitech. First of I ordered the 30004 model with the fuel command center. My order came to $1600 through Summit racing. I ordered the unit in June and received it in October. I was very excited to finally receive the unit. I schedule it to be installed the very next day. They promote this unit to be very easy to install. It was on the car in a little over a hour at the shop which was good at $100 per hour. However now for the problems, the car would not idle. After 4 hours of trouble shooting at the shop rate, Cody the fitech tech said it was a bad ecu right out of the box. I had to pay to have it shipped both ways to fitech to get a new unit. I received the new unit back only to again have leaning issues under load. Under direction from Cody we replaced the plug and plug wires and the MSD 6AL ignition unit, Fixed nothing. He continued to give reasons why it was not the fitech's issue. However I was well over $3600 into a $1600 upgrade. So I ordered a Holley terminator 550-406 model $2400 with a 2bar map censor and installed it in the place of the fitech and it worked perfectly. Now I have a $1600 fitech pile in my trunk and have spent hours on phone getting to know Cody from fitech. I would not recommend this unit to anyone to put on any car.

Summit racing- and I quote from the service rep "we are the Walmart of the parts world, we only sell parts, we don't stand behind them. If you want your money back go to fitech"

Fitech- "We repair or replace" "We stand behind our product but don't pay for anything" "We have Thousands on units on cars, sorry your having issues with ours."

Fitech is not the same as Holley in my eyes- They have a product that works!!!!!!

I can see why you are unhappy with their product. the comment from summit is also disappointing. they are the world leaders in aftermarket auto. many people got fi tech units that worked well for them. some did not. having said that, I don't think anyone can make a unit that is truly plug and play. every engine combo is different and so are it's demands. in most cases but not all, the fine tuning choices they build into the unit will take out any issues. but, when their is an issue with a unit that cannot be resolved, I think they should authorize you to send it back. there are others who have gotten refunds and/or replacement units from them. I think fitech should have agreed to swap out the complete system in your case. from what you paid, you must have used the fuel command center. they were known originally to be full of glitches. I paid 900$ for mine from summit after rebate. I consider the fuel pump, filters, and hoses to be part of any system. I already had this in place. I don't have the kind of money you had to spend. I would have just started after fitech for any satisfaction I could get and moved on as you did. if mine does not perform well in the long haul, I will pull it off and replace with another brand. the fitech unit is the second system I have had on my car. I hope you are able to enjoy your new holley unit.
phil
Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM
1963nova#1
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fitech- EFI

Originally Posted by candipogo
I can see why you are unhappy with their product. the comment from summit is also disappointing. they are the world leaders in aftermarket auto. many people got fi tech units that worked well for them. some did not. having said that, I don't think anyone can make a unit that is truly plug and play. every engine combo is different and so are it's demands. in most cases but not all, the fine tuning choices they build into the unit will take out any issues. but, when their is an issue with a unit that cannot be resolved, I think they should authorize you to send it back. there are others who have gotten refunds and/or replacement units from them. I think fitech should have agreed to swap out the complete system in your case. from what you paid, you must have used the fuel command center. they were known originally to be full of glitches. I paid 900$ for mine from summit after rebate. I consider the fuel pump, filters, and hoses to be part of any system. I already had this in place. I don't have the kind of money you had to spend. I would have just started after fitech for any satisfaction I could get and moved on as you did. if mine does not perform well in the long haul, I will pull it off and replace with another brand. the fitech unit is the second system I have had on my car. I hope you are able to enjoy your new holley unit.
phil

Phil
I don't have that type of money either. I spent the money on desire to get away from the tuning issues of a carb. The big promise of exactly what your looking for every time is what they are selling. The easy, cheap solution is in every advertisement you see on fitech. However when there is a problem they make you send their junk in and pay to get it back. I am out a lot of money with no other solution then spend more, was the answer I received. I was sick to my stomach when I was given the bill and still had my carb on the car. So in order to save someone from running out and buying the easiest and cheapest efi unit, I would like to worn them run from this unit. The different motor combinations, then they should also stop marketing to the horse power ratings. I have a very simple SBC, that puts out 450hp and they stumbled at that. I would hate to have had a twin system on a blower. I would have lost even more!!!!

Thanks but no thanks to fitech!!!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:49 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds just like the Boss powerjection units from a few years back. I pissed away about 3 grand and countless hours trying to get a $2,000 system to run. I finally pulled it off and sold it for $900.00. I switched to a mass-flo EFI system which fired up right away and never had any issues.
I know the "self learning" FAST systems have a lot of issues as well. The XFI units are apparently excellent though.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-07-2021, 11:39 AM
alsalp
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the Corvette regulator work with the FITECH fuel regulator? Does it just provide 58 psi to the TB regulator and it doesn't have to adjust pressure? Any special settings?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:10 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 482 Posts

I have torn down countless small block Chevys with 150 to 250K on them where the bore was still almost perfect. You can attribute that to having fuel injection mixture control. The Fitech 400HP on my stock 327/300 gives me that mixture plus outstanding throttle response and easy starts. I'll admit it took some tweaking, but the internet provided the needed info. Old dogs can learn new tricks if they have to. The set up, including tank, in-tank pump, lines, filter, and the unit was about $1600. Pretty easy install if you have a lift. I run a big cap HEI so I don't have fancy timing control.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 PM
candipogo
Racer

Originally Posted by alsalp
How does the Corvette regulator work with the FITECH fuel regulator? Does it just provide 58 psi to the TB regulator and it doesn't have to adjust pressure? Any special settings?
the fitech throttle body systems have a built in fuel pressure regulator. You don6need another regulator in the system. It provides constant 58psi.
be safe
Old 03-07-2021, 07:37 PM
alsalp
6th Gear

Originally Posted by candipogo
the fitech throttle body systems have a built in fuel pressure regulator. You don6need another regulator in the system. It provides constant 58psi.
be safe
The point is that the Corvette regulator is set at 58 psi and saves from having to run a long return line which is appealing. I just want to understand how that would work.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:58 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

alsalp, I'm guessing you looked at this whole thread. On page 1 there is a pic of my C5 fiter/reg. at the rear just below gas tank. This thing flows at 58 psi and the fuel press. reg at the front on the TBI also flows at 58 psi making this a good combination for working well together. Plus the expense of the C5 reg. is hardly worth the sweat. I change mine every couple yrs. Four years later and I'm still running this combo. The only thing that's changed was I switched from the Fitech TBI to the Sniper TBI.

65-StingRay
Wayne
Old 03-07-2021, 10:26 PM
alsalp
6th Gear

I have a Fitech I'm going to run. Did you have a problem with the FITECH? I posted this question on a FITECH group and one experienced guy said it was a risky setup another said he did it without a problem. Did your FITCH fail?
The following users liked this post:
candipogo (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:08 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

In my opinion and having installed all three on various engines over the last 15 years, I would rate the three most commonly used on a scale of 1-10. Plus these are the only three I’ve used:
  • Easy EFI (3 - reliability issues and tuning requires more parts)
  • Fitech EFI (5 unless you use the command module, then 2)
  • Snioer EFI (8 - while you don’t have to buy the Holley intank pump/regulator it make the install much easier and you can use it on the other two also)
These ratings are based on ease of installation, reliability, ability to tune (all self-tune, but you may make tweaks or want a different map for racing), required additional parts, and tech support.

The C5 filter/regulator makes plumbing easier, but you still need a return. The Holley intank pump/regulator is a bypass type regulator that sits in the tank and requires no return. Both are deadhead style regulators and you simple cap off the return fitting on the throttle body. Some people freak out about “deadhead” but this is not an issue with EFI.

I currently have a Sniper on my ‘64 coupe with a 427 sbc and the Easy on my ‘69 coupe with a 396 sbc. Both run great, but the ‘69 acts up now and then. At some point I will replace it with a Sniper.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:03 AM
alsalp
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Factoid
In my opinion and having installed all three on various engines over the last 15 years, I would rate the three most commonly used on a scale of 1-10. Plus these are the only three I’ve used:
  • Easy EFI (3 - reliability issues and tuning requires more parts)
  • Fitech EFI (5 unless you use the command module, then 2)
  • Snioer EFI (8 - while you don’t have to buy the Holley intank pump/regulator it make the install much easier and you can use it on the other two also)
These ratings are based on ease of installation, reliability, ability to tune (all self-tune, but you may make tweaks or want a different map for racing), required additional parts, and tech support.

The C5 filter/regulator makes plumbing easier, but you still need a return. The Holley intank pump/regulator is a bypass type regulator that sits in the tank and requires no return. Both are deadhead style regulators and you simple cap off the return fitting on the throttle body. Some people freak out about “deadhead” but this is not an issue with EFI.

I currently have a Sniper on my ‘64 coupe with a 427 sbc and the Easy on my ‘69 coupe with a 396 sbc. Both run great, but the ‘69 acts up now and then. At some point I will replace it with a Sniper.
Doesn't the C5 filter regulator have a return?
Old 03-08-2021, 11:10 AM
candipogo
Racer

Default F

I have a Fitech I'm going to run. Did you have a problem with the FITECH? I posted this question on a FITECH group and one experienced guy said it was a risky setup another said he did it without a problem. Did your FITCH fail?
fitech efi
I have a fitech unit mounted on a 421 sbc(400 stroker). I have around 3500 miles on it in about 4 years. So far, no issues. I am not using the command center or the fitech ignition control. The performance of the engine under throttle is flawless. My idle is a bit rough. But, I have a somewhat aggressive cam. No gripes, really.
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Doesn't the C5 filter regulator have a return?
Yes it does, a short one as it is normally mounted near the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: fitech efi on my 64