C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front Differential Mounting Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Front Differential Mounting Bracket

On the '66 I'm about ready to reassemble the rear suspension and differential. The front differential mounting bracket had 2 bolts that go through the bracket and diff housing and the front bolt had a castle nut and cotter pin. The rear bolt was just a regular hex bolt and nut. I don't have a AIM and I'm just wanting to get it right upon reassembly.

Why the castle nut and cotter pin and how tight? And I assume it was the front bolt that uses the castle nut because that's the way it came off. Is this to allow for some flex in the differential housing when under a load or what?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:04 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ILBMF
On the '66 I'm about ready to reassemble the rear suspension and differential. The front differential mounting bracket had 2 bolts that go through the bracket and diff housing and the front bolt had a castle nut and cotter pin. The rear bolt was just a regular hex bolt and nut. I don't have a AIM and I'm just wanting to get it right upon reassembly.

Why the castle nut and cotter pin and how tight? And I assume it was the front bolt that uses the castle nut because that's the way it came off. Is this to allow for some flex in the differential housing when under a load or what?

45-55lb's..Front bolt is where the castle/cotter/nut is just like what you would do your front bearings...part of the assembly process...

As far a 'flex' your guess is as good as any????
Old 10-13-2016, 09:47 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM
jbrinsfi
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
45-55lb's..Front bolt is where the castle/cotter/nut is just like what you would do your front bearings...part of the assembly process...

As far a 'flex' your guess is as good as any????
Jumping on this thread, I have also been doing some refurbishment in the area of the front differential bracket assembly and I found that the forward most fastener (the one with the castle nut) was fairly loose i.e. I could turn the whole assembly with my hand. I removed the cotter pin and attempted to tighten the castle nut down and no joy... the thing is very frozen. After soaking for weeks with penetrating oil, still not able to break it free. So my question is, should I even try to get it tighter or is this fastener simply a pivot point on the differential suspension that does not need to be tightened down to clamp the bracket to the differential housing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions
Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrinsfi
Jumping on this thread, I have also been doing some refurbishment in the area of the front differential bracket assembly and I found that the forward most fastener (the one with the castle nut) was fairly loose i.e. I could turn the whole assembly with my hand. I removed the cotter pin and attempted to tighten the castle nut down and no joy... the thing is very frozen. After soaking for weeks with penetrating oil, still not able to break it free. So my question is, should I even try to get it tighter or is this fastener simply a pivot point on the differential suspension that does not need to be tightened down to clamp the bracket to the differential housing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions
That needs to be tightened to the suggested torque...you'll need to either get it loose so you can get it torqued...or...cut it off and replace it...

I forgot to mention in the previous post...the rearward bolt/nut needs a torque of 45-55lbs...

Get notified of new replies

To Front Differential Mounting Bracket

Quick Reply: Front Differential Mounting Bracket