C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Gauge studs Insulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 01:11 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Gauge studs Insulator

I'm having issue on my 62 with my fuel gauge blowing the fuse. I checked the wire connection posts for the isolator and don't see any.
What do they look like?
Where can I get them?
Which gauges suppose to have them?
Can they be made by using an O'ring?

Last edited by Dale002; 10-30-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Is this the insulator you're referring to?

http://valleyvettes.net/5862.html
Old 10-30-2016, 06:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I would try heavy gasket paper or maybe some small nylon washers for under the nuts if you can find them....the fuel gauge 'spiked' insulator across the terminals could also be gasket paper. That's only until I could find the correct parts for a permanent fix...
Old 10-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I would try heavy gasket paper or maybe some small nylon washers for under the nuts if you can find them....the fuel gauge 'spiked' insulator across the terminals could also be gasket paper. That's only until I could find the correct parts for a permanent fix...
Frankie,
I have the divider strip on the fuel gauge but, I'm still having a grounding issue with the positive wire going to ground. I think what's happening is the stud is contacting the can as it go through the can hole.I don't think it's grounding from the washer or nut making contact with the can.
I don't know what these things look like nor where I can purchase them. Common sense would dictate that I would need them on all the gauges that have 12v to them. I have no issues with the other gauges at this time but I don't see any insulator between the post and the can on them either. I just think the studs are perfectly center on the can but could ground at any time if the post nut loosen.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You're right to be concerned. ANY electrical issue on these lightly fused C1s is a source of worry... Maybe you can get a 'junker' gauge off eBay and get the insulators or maybe call Bill Harrison in Florida or Corvette Specialties of Maryland and see if they'll send you one...both top gauge restorers...
Old 10-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

You're right to be concerned. ANY electrical issue on these lightly fused C1s is a source of worry... Maybe you can get a 'junker' gauge off eBay and get the insulators or maybe call Bill Harrison in Florida or Corvette Specialties of Maryland and see if they'll send you one...both top gauge restorers...
What do they look like? I have the square black piece of what seems to be gasket material that goes on the out side of the can. Does the fuel gauge require one on the inside?
I loosen the stud nuts and pushed an o'ring on the stud and position it between the gauge and the inside of the can and have temporary correct the issue.
If it need to have the same piece of gasket looking material on the inside then I don't have that. I would need to take the gauge out of the can and make one as you suggested. I was under the impression the insulator would be something like is on the tach, which has a rubber hat bushing around the stud.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can't say what the exact configuration is unfortunately; my '61 has been sold...the attached fuzzy pic is all I have. It seems the issues are whether you need to center the stud in the middle of the gauge housing and you may have accomplished that..
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Dale002 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

I can't say what the exact configuration is unfortunately; my '61 has been sold...the attached fuzzy pic is all I have. It seems the issues are whether you need to center the stud in the middle of the gauge housing and you may have accomplished that..
Yes, I agreed. I will be taking the gauges out to recondition them and convert the Tach to electrical. At that time I will install a pad on the inside to be safe and install an O'ring on the studs to keep them center. The O'rings along don't do the trick as that was the first thing I tried. I'm checking them out incase I need to replace some of them. So far they work great just need a face lift. I wish their was a conversion for the oil gauge to electrical. My car is a 62 resto with a Billy chassis but, I'm choosing to keep the original look of the car and not interested in the Dakota set up.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Dale002
Yes, I agreed. I will be taking the gauges out to recondition them and convert the Tach to electrical. At that time I will install a pad on the inside to be safe and install an O'ring on the studs to keep them center. The O'rings along don't do the trick as that was the first thing I tried. I'm checking them out incase I need to replace some of them. So far they work great just need a face lift. I wish their was a conversion for the oil gauge to electrical. My car is a 62 resto with a Billy chassis but, I'm choosing to keep the original look of the car and not interested in the Dakota set up.
I thought I read on here recently that you CAN convert the mechanical oil gauge to electrical and that some popular vendor can do it.

You may want to check further on that...

Get notified of new replies

To Gauge studs Insulator

Quick Reply: Gauge studs Insulator