C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 vette , 327 ci distributor won't go in all the way???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 11:30 AM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default 62 vette , 327 ci distributor won't go in all the way???

I have a '63 that the distributor will not go in all the way. Goes all the way in but about 1/4 inch or so. I have alligned it with the oil pump and it seems to be alligned ok. I have tried it multiple times to no avail. Any ideas????BTW, 327 ci engine with original distributor and have put it it several times before with no problem. I did replace the distributor shaft with a new one because of the tachometer gear being badly worn. HELP

Last edited by MGB; 11-04-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Remove the ignition coil wire and 'bump' the key with the car in neutral a few times...the distributor will sit right down for you....you can even watch it happen through the windshield..
Old 11-04-2016, 05:20 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

I would use a remote starter or helper, and hold gentle pressure on distributor.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You can usually snug down the hold down clamp a bit to keep it from jumping...I've done more times than I can remember....the other methods is the Lars 'walking' method....which has been well documented here before...
Old 11-04-2016, 06:45 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm going to tell on myself. I rebuilt my 63 distributor and when try to put in engine, it would not go all the way in. I messed with that thing till I was blue in the face. I was almost ready to drop the pan to see if something was in the way when I decided to place another dist I had next to the one I rebuilt. After studying them both I said WTF, I had install the bottom gear upside down. After removing the gear and installing it correctly, dist slid right in.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:02 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,549 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I'm going to tell on myself. I rebuilt my 63 distributor and when try to put in engine, it would not go all the way in. I messed with that thing till I was blue in the face. I was almost ready to drop the pan to see if something was in the way when I decided to place another dist I had next to the one I rebuilt. After studying them both I said WTF, I had install the bottom gear upside down. After removing the gear and installing it correctly, dist slid right in.
You are one H***L of a man. That may be what the OP needed, but I am not sure I wouldn't have blamed it on my wife ----- or the kid ---- or the dog.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

My first thought. Don't ask me why...
The following users liked this post:
kinabub (11-12-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Nev Williams
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What you said !
Did exactly the same thing when installing my distributor - could not believe I had such a brain fade. .

Get notified of new replies

To 62 vette , 327 ci distributor won't go in all the way???

Quick Reply: 62 vette , 327 ci distributor won't go in all the way???