C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electronic Tach Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:29 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Electronic Tach Conversion

These conversion kits are being sold by the venders. I would like to here how they work and if they eliminate the needle bounce. My tach works well with the typical bounce. If I take my dash out again I am going to consider this change. It would be nice to have a needle that was accurate, steady and didn't bounce.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 AM
Aussi-66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark I have done the electronic tacho conversion and am very happy with it. If you already have the dash out it is a relatively easy conversion. If you have to pull the dash to get at the tacho then it is not difficult but it is a lot more work. figure on at least a day for getting the instrument panel out and on to the bench, doing the conversion and re installing the instrument panel. I actually did my speedo at the same time using the same tacho conversion module with a couple of minor modifications, it also works very well. Glad to send or post the information I have if you decide to go ahead.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Readers should note that most (all?) of these kits will NOT work on 63/64 cars because of the conical shape of the dash gauges. To wit, read the fine print before purchase !!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Aussi-66
Hi Mark I have done the electronic tacho conversion and am very happy with it. If you already have the dash out it is a relatively easy conversion. If you have to pull the dash to get at the tacho then it is not difficult but it is a lot more work. figure on at least a day for getting the instrument panel out and on to the bench, doing the conversion and re installing the instrument panel. I actually did my speedo at the same time using the same tacho conversion module with a couple of minor modifications, it also works very well. Glad to send or post the information I have if you decide to go ahead.
At this point I have no plans to pull the dash as everything works. If a reason to pull it comes along I will probably go electronic. My speedometer and tach are accurate but the tach bounces a lot when accelerating. Thanks for the feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Tach Conversion

Quick Reply: Electronic Tach Conversion