C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Mini-rant; If This Is True ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SW Vette
I don't think millenials have anything to do with the restomod trend. More likely it is a byproduct of the many recent TV series showcasing custom fabbed bikes and cars, the fact that many of the desirable cars are old and in need of renovation, the original drivetrains are long gone anyway, new engine and suspension technology is leaps and bounds ahead of 50 year old stuff, and on and on.

To me, any car that doesn't have a rare or desirable born-with engine, or has significant frame rust and deterioration, is a good candidate for restomodding.

The car in the OP was obviously not Top Flight caliber, or it would never have been used.
I don't doubt the above is a factor at all...

A few salient facts:

Like the resurrection of the Honda Civic-looking GTO, Ford tried the same thing with the T-bird and it flopped too. Capturing the vintage car mindset with a modern offering is a dice roll and GM apparently is not in the game.

My 93% Second Flight NCRS car is driven 2-3 times daily and I know others that drive theirs...however MANY owners do NOT.

dcaginni and some other restomod drivers with cars worth over $100K drive them a lot as well. A '62 restomod owner I know drives his nearly weekly..

Just to straighten out some misconceptions.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
most these cars sit in garages under covers with 23 coats of zaino on them.
Here's a friends (blue) NCRS, body off restored '67. He drives it all over the place, far and wide. He may be the exception but I appreciate the fact that he doesn't hesitate to drive it just about anywhere I would take my driver quality '65 (the red one parked next to it).
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Mini-rant; If This Is True ...