C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Reproduction dated glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Reproduction dated glass

You replace the windshield purchasing a replacement " date coded " piece of glass for judging....... Is this considered original in the eyes of the judging world ? Does the false date add value, appease judges, or perfection in the eyes of the owner ?
Many condemn restamped engine blocks even though the block is correct in every other way. How can five plus decade new non original manufacturer product be considered " correct " because a company adds a false date ? Who fools who in this process ?
A person steals twenty dollars, another steals a thousand dollars. Are they both thieves or is the lesser crime considered normal behavior ?
Not being sarcastic , arrogant , or stepping on toes, I am looking for the justification of purists desiring the perfect piece of paper declaring their object is of the highest standard. If judges inspect air cleaner studs and wing nuts are these parts considered justification for a total score ?
I believe NCRS dos a great job of diseminating accurate truthful restoration information. Its original once as many believe. The judgement aspect must be somewhat forgiving for owners to reach the highest standards.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Repro glass will not get you full originality points. IIRC the repro glass, even if properly date coded has a DOT logo on it somewhere, others will correct me if I'm wrong...

As to the other editorializing there are only about 50,000 threads on here discussing the topic to death and beyond...
Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
You replace the windshield purchasing a replacement " date coded " piece of glass for judging....... Is this considered original in the eyes of the judging world ? Does the false date add value, appease judges, or perfection in the eyes of the owner ?
Many condemn restamped engine blocks even though the block is correct in every other way. How can five plus decade new non original manufacturer product be considered " correct " because a company adds a false date ? Who fools who in this process ?
A person steals twenty dollars, another steals a thousand dollars. Are they both thieves or is the lesser crime considered normal behavior ?
Not being sarcastic , arrogant , or stepping on toes, I am looking for the justification of purists desiring the perfect piece of paper declaring their object is of the highest standard. If judges inspect air cleaner studs and wing nuts are these parts considered justification for a total score ?
I believe NCRS dos a great job of diseminating accurate truthful restoration information. Its original once as many believe. The judgement aspect must be somewhat forgiving for owners to reach the highest standards.
I think you are confusing the terms.

I've never met a single person ever who described a restoration as "original."
The following users liked this post:
seb67 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM
seb67
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Seems to me that people continue to miss or ignore the R in NCRS. After 50+ years, it's unusual for a vintage car to be completely original down to every last nut and bolt, but not so much restored to original condition or configuration. In the case of windshield glass, I believe the dot markings may get covered by the seal. Someone else may have the definitive answer on this.

Last edited by seb67; 02-08-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by seb67
Seems to me that people continue to miss or ignore the R in NCRS. After 50+ years, it's unusual for a vintage car to be completely original down to every last nut and bolt, but not so much restored to original condition or configuration. In the case of windshield glass, I believe the dot markings may get covered by the seal. Someone else may have the definitive answer on this.
NCRS never states it must be original to get full points. It must appear to be original in fit, finish, date, configuration, and condition. If a part has all five of those it will get full points. If a part fails at any of those then points will be taken away. It's that simple

In the terms of glass the configuration of the tint, and logo will fail everytime
Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Went thru the Nationals last year with my new windshield, no deducts.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:40 PM
seb67
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

In the terms of glass the configuration of the tint, and logo will fail everytime
From what I have heard, Pilkington Classic has addressed the tint issue.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

As to the other editorializing there are only about 50,000 threads on here discussing the topic to death and beyond...[/QUOTE]

I don't down grade your posts. Please respect mine.

I have a valid point worth consideration. In two hours 120 plus readers read with interest, one way or another. I ask a lot of questions to gain knowledge. The internet has a tremendous volume of information. I form opinions based on common sense responses. Some ( I ) don't have vast knowledge involved in the hobby and ask dumb questions if there are such inquisitions. From this point forward I will read and not respond as my level of comprehension is substandard.... apparently.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by seb67
From what I have heard, Pilkington Classic has addressed the tint issue.
My dad bought one 3 years ago and it didn't get full points. So maybe my they fixed it since then. I haven't herd
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

As to the other editorializing there are only about 50,000 threads on here discussing the topic to death and beyond...
I don't down grade your posts. Please respect mine.

I have a valid point worth consideration. In two hours 120 plus readers read with interest, one way or another. I ask a lot of questions to gain knowledge. The internet has a tremendous volume of information. I form opinions based on common sense responses. Some ( I ) don't have vast knowledge involved in the hobby and ask dumb questions if there are such inquisitions. From this point forward I will read and not respond as my level of comprehension is substandard.... apparently.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't downgrading anything. It's simply a fact that the issues you cite have been covered repeatedly on here as well as in the NCRS Judging Reference Guide. Post whatever you like -- I do.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

I bought a correctly dated re-pro and I have not gone to an NCRS event with my car yet. Even if I receive a deduction, it's no biggie, I just like to have the correct date on the glass. I knew this going in.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
seb67
Instructor

From the rumor mill: I heard that someone told Pilkington that the tint band was incorrect at Bloomington recently and that they were not aware of it. A friend visited them at SEMA this last fall and they said they have or were in the process of making corrections to make the tint band as it was originally. I know the SEMA part for a fact. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I need a new windshield but it's not urgent. When I order one, I am interested in the date and the tint band. My current windshield is tinted correctly but it was replaced early on and the dates and manufacturer are not correct for factory glass.

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction dated glass

Quick Reply: Reproduction dated glass