C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

tach noise 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
Default tach noise 60

the tach cable on my 1960 makes a whining noise.
what kind of lube is best to lube the cable and from which side is easiest to remove the inner cable?

gen driven tach

thanks

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 02-14-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
the tach cable on my 1960 makes a whining noise.
what kind of lube is best to lube the cable and from which side is easiest to remove the inner cable?

gen driven tach

thanks
A graphite base lube like Kable Ease works well. You will need to remove the cable from the dash side as there is a bulb on that side of the cable that prevents you from removing the cable on the engine side.
The following users liked this post:
Twan Sloot (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

will use such lube

and I didn't know about those bulbs at the end, I was planning on pulling from the Gen side, you saved me time and frustration
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
will use such lube

and I didn't know about those bulbs at the end, I was planning on pulling from the Gen side, you saved me time and frustration
You can disconnect at the generator end and hold that end up way high and shoot some graphite in the end give the cable a good shake to work the lube down then repeat a few times. Pulling and pushing slightly on the inner cable will help work the stuff downward - it doesn't take much to silence the cable...

That will often work its way to where it's needed. Don't have to remove the inner cable. Wrap a towel around the cable while doing this; its messy.

You haven't lost anything if it doesn't work.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-14-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can disconnect at the generator end and hold that end up way high and shoot some graphite in the end give the cable a good shake to work the lube down then repeat a few times. Pulling and pushing slightly on the inner cable will help work the stuff downward - it doesn't take much to silence the cable...

That will often work its way to where it's needed. Don't have to remove the inner cable. Wrap a towel around the cable while doing this; its messy.

You haven't lost anything if it doesn't work.
You are right on that one, I will try it first. If it works it will only be a 5 minute job.

Get notified of new replies

To tach noise 60

Quick Reply: tach noise 60