C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Remember John Mazmanian's 11-Second 1961 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
Derek, I can't speak for anyone else, but I love reading your accounts of the racing culture (street & track) back in those days. Since you mentioned Don Steves & Bill Thomas, I thought I'd throw this in.
Dan Gurney bought this '61 409 from Don Steves and immediately had it "gone through" by Thomas before shipping it to England for a race at Silverstone.

Attachment 48070396

That's a Don Steves plate frame but it's hard to read in this photo.
Attachment 48070397

Verne
Cool adds on the Don Steves stock cars and Gurney! You can see why the car addiction gets into the blood of us local guys like John M.

Don Steves was quite the personality! I was interacting with him, just before his death! I think it was a bright spot for him (memories and car talk), but for some reason he ended his own life on the side of a road here locally! Chevrolet pulled the Dealership franchise out from under him, because he won't relocate his operation to a location adjacent to a freeway! I don't want to disrespect the family in discussing his personal, but in hindsight it seemed like he was working to conclude his life's business!

I got with my car the red lettered plate frame (older Vintage Don Steves frames)! And over time I have picked up the newer Dealership stamping sand even the modern plastic ones!

It is unfortunate that the Corvette Suoer Sports Club history out of Don Steves isn't better remembered by that club! It started in the 50s as a racers club and had like Dan Gurney, Carrol Shelby, Ken Miles, Bob Bondurant, and so many others meeting to discuss and socialize about racing, all out of lowly La Habra California and Don's Dealership! The club evolved into a racing enthusiast club and set up events to convoy to events like the Times GP were put on the calendar! They set up like the Corvette Corral at the race track! And got a lot of VIP perks! La Habra was kind of central to the whole Los Angeles, Orange County and Inland Empire areas, and the early memberships were guys into racing from all over and from far ranging ! And have to throw in a plug for good ole Whittier again, but meetings were usually Friday night affairs with fine food planned after the car talk. La Habra has some actual good little Restaurants around, some of those into the modern, but Italian was a common favorite and unknown to most current club members, they still to this day meet at an Italian Restaurant for the eats because of that early tradition! They also ventured to like the Cattleman over in Hacienda Heights where you slid down the entry door slide to get in ( dresses and all)! The fish aquarium Restaurant over in I think Montebello. They went to the White House over in Anaheim and other cool Restaurants in the area! And all of these guys had to come down Whittier Boulevard in their fine machinery to attend club meetings with all of us damn local deplorables! Yes Shelby Cobras, Scarab, Italian Tipo machinery, Allard-Cadillacs, Porsche exotica, etc etc all coming occasionally thru Whittier down the Boulevard!

Some of the stuff I pictured belonged to my car and Don Steves had it stored from way back and just handed it all to me, telling me stories about the type of stuff I sometimes share with you guys! I am about the most social recluse or hermit guy that everyone has met, but nobody knows! I am a nobody that has got the opportunity to talk cars with some very great and famous car guys! I love the history stuff, and glad some enjoy hearing about it!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
W Guy (03-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Remember John Mazmanian's 11-Second 1961 Corvette?