C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Rarest Of The Rare" 1957 Corvette Super Sport "Debuts" At The Amelia Island Concours

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:31 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default "Rarest Of The Rare" 1957 Corvette Super Sport "Debuts" At The Amelia Island Concours

Neat story here.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/a20147/19...-Concours.aspx

Al Unser is the Amelia Island Concours Honoree this year and we've recently been told he may remember this car when it was in Albuquerque in late 50's. He's lined up to view the car there at the event and will be fun to meet him.

A few Videos here from a few weeks ago after we finished the electrical and mechanical tasks and then its first start. That was a very fun day.

Last edited by HilltopClassicCars; 03-03-2017 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brian VH McHale (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by HilltopClassicCars
Neat story here.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/a20147/19...-Concours.aspx

Al Unser is the Amelia Island Concours Honoree this year and we've recently been told he may remember this car when it was in Albuquerque in late 50's. He's lined up to view the car there at the event and will be fun to meet him.

A few Videos here from a few weeks ago after we finished the electrical and mechanical tasks and then its first start. That was a very fun day.

HCCars......Just for the sake of accuracy, it may have been best if you iterated that the text below your second line was actually quoting the thread from the NCRS post that you copy/pasted. This may be confusing to some.

Rich
It doesn't bother me, but it may bother them.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Hemmings just ran the story and announcement of this Concept show car! And it ended up going to Dick Doane's dealership and being sold!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 PM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich5962
HCCars......Just for the sake of accuracy, it may have been best if you iterated that the text below your second line was actually quoting the thread from the NCRS post that you copy/pasted. This may be confusing to some.

Rich
It doesn't bother me, but it may bother them.
Rich you are correct, I was just passing on what was already written and did not mean to confuse anyone or misrepresent anything, I personally had nothing to do with these goings on.
The following users liked this post:
rich5962 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HilltopClassicCars
Rich you are correct, I was just passing on what was already written and did not mean to confuse anyone or misrepresent anything, I personally had nothing to do with these goings on.
I got a little chuckle when I read your post. I thought it looked familiar......Because I wrote it.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Hemmings just ran the story and announcement of this Concept show car! And it ended up going to Dick Doane's dealership and being sold!
Right...Here.

GM sold it to Dick Doane Chevrolet. www.facebook.com/Doanechevrolet/
Dick Doane sold it to Ralph Poole Auto Sales in Albuquerque. Ralph's son Larry drove it home to NM from Illinois where he picked it up from the airport where it was on display. When he arrived, a local newspaper did a story and photographed the car at the Davlos Chevron Service Station. The helmet worn by Larry on the trip, and the car itself, was covered with bugs, as told by the 2 young sons of the Station owner, Bob and Ron.

The helmet can be seen on the seat.

The Hemmings news release, which was rewritten by Kurt Ernst at Hemmings, originated from Bill Warner who leads the Amelia Island Concours. Bill sent it to us for review before he published it. The only thing we changed was his terminology "SS". We decided to change all "SS" notations to "Super Sport" notations. We did this so that future reference to the car would not be confused with the Duntov XP-64 (Super Spyder) racer, then designated SS. The Super Sport was never officially designated SS. The Media did that.

Work began on the Duntov SS race car in July of 1956.

The Super Sport was done at the Styling Department under work Order# 90181 and began some time after June of 1956. It was completed in late December.

Over the last 60 years, the two have constantly been confused with each other. In April of '57, Motor Trend did a article discussing the Jaguar XK SS and the Corvette SS. Even then, within the article itself, the Corvette was depicted as having some special race equipment, which it never did. Whoever wrote the article 60 years ago, also confused the two, the Duntov SS and the Super Sport.

Last edited by rich5962; 03-14-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 AM
HilltopClassicCars
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich5962
I got a little chuckle when I read your post. I thought it looked familiar......Because I wrote it.
Well glad I was able to make you chuckle, which is almost a laugh, which it is claimed makes one live longer!

Get notified of new replies

To "Rarest Of The Rare" 1957 Corvette Super Sport "Debuts" At The Amelia Island Concours

Quick Reply: "Rarest Of The Rare" 1957 Corvette Super Sport "Debuts" At The Amelia Island Concours