C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 IRS question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:04 PM
David H.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 IRS question

my '67 sits lower on one side and i also would like to raise it up about 1-1/2' in the back. i know what the IRS looks like and all but i don't know if it can be adjusted for right height. is this possible? thanks in advance

Dave
Old 03-09-2017, 06:47 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

If the spring still has arch to it when it's loaded maybe you just need different length bolts out on the ends where they attach to the trailing arms.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Steve Stone
Racer

Received 836 Likes on 167 Posts

First I would be sure that the bolts at the spring ends are both the same length measured from the bottom of the leaf to the top of the nut. If they are the same length and there is different ride heights, I would suspect a leaf is weak or broken. If these inspections are OK then you should be able to adjust the ride height. I do this by remembering that longer is lower. This means the longer the distance from the spring leaf to the nut the lower the ride. Conversely a shorter length will raise the car. It also raises the car more than the changed length. I have sometimes used a double nut on each bolt to retain the nuts since the adjustment may not be able to use the cotter pin holes. I have been able to adjust my ride height and have the bolt distance be the same or really close to the same length.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Problem Could Be Front Coil

If you jack the car up under the centre of the rear spring and the car sits level from side to side the front springs are OK . A weak front coil on one side will raise the apposite rear corner .
The following users liked this post:
Chuck Gongloff (03-12-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

You'll be hard pressed to get any significant adjustment of the rear ride height with the original type trailing arm to spring bolts. The pic below is what they looked like.

Take a look at your AIM, UPC 4, Sheet B5 and perform the "D" measurement on both sides. It will tell you if your spring is within ride height spec regardless or tire size. Midyear rear leaf springs do wear out and replacement may be in order. If you get to the point of wanting to replace the spring, do a search for Eaton Detroit Spring.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 PM
David H.
Intermediate

you know, i should have noticed that the wheels are literally hanging - albeit upside down - from the bolts attached to the leaf springs. common sense tells you shorter bolts will raise the car. thanks for all the tips and info, guys.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 PM
David H.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve Stone
First I would be sure that the bolts at the spring ends are both the same length measured from the bottom of the leaf to the top of the nut. If they are the same length and there is different ride heights, I would suspect a leaf is weak or broken. If these inspections are OK then you should be able to adjust the ride height. I do this by remembering that longer is lower. This means the longer the distance from the spring leaf to the nut the lower the ride. Conversely a shorter length will raise the car. It also raises the car more than the changed length. I have sometimes used a double nut on each bolt to retain the nuts since the adjustment may not be able to use the cotter pin holes. I have been able to adjust my ride height and have the bolt distance be the same or really close to the same length.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve, being a surveyor and quite well-versed on geometry, i have to ask...how does the raised height differ from the bolt length? common sense tells us that a 10' bar, secured at one end, raised 1' in the middle is raised 2' at the other end, but i would think that the bolts on this suspension are close enough to the wheel that it would not make a big difference. am i missing something?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Steve Stone
Racer

Received 836 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by David H.
Steve, being a surveyor and quite well-versed on geometry, i have to ask...how does the raised height differ from the bolt length? common sense tells us that a 10' bar, secured at one end, raised 1' in the middle is raised 2' at the other end, but i would think that the bolts on this suspension are close enough to the wheel that it would not make a big difference. am i missing something?
I do not have the explanation for why this is. It probably is related to the spring and how it provides lift. I suspect that the tighter the spring is (spring length shorter) the more it raises the car. I have been using this information for many years of dealing with leaf springs & simply wanted to share it. I do not use stock bolts since there is not enough threads on them for when I adjust the ride height on my Vette. I pull a trailer with mine & load the back with items that a slung on the back of my Vette so do need the adjustment to the ride height.

Steve
Old 03-09-2017, 08:58 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

The reason is quite simple. The spring wants to arch excessively unlike the way it looks while the car is sitting on it causing it to flatten out. The downward force that the spring naturally is trying to do is allowed by using longer bolts resulting in less upward lift on the rest of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Stone (03-09-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:14 PM
David H.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ILBMF
The reason is quite simple. The spring wants to arch excessively unlike the way it looks while the car is sitting on it causing it to flatten out. The downward force that the spring naturally is trying to do is allowed by using longer bolts resulting in less upward lift on the rest of the car.
I get all that, but I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. My point is that it would seem that a 1" shorter bolt would raise the back of the car 1". The bolt is almost directly under the end of the half-shaft, therefore the difference in bolt length from stock will result in an adjustment of equal amount....or so it would seem.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
David H.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve Stone
I do not use stock bolts since there is not enough threads on them for when I adjust the ride height on my Vette.

Steve

it would be great if there were 3-4" of thread on the bolts to provide for plenty of adjustment. where did you go to get your bolts?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by David H.
it would be great if there were 3-4" of thread on the bolts to provide for plenty of adjustment. where did you go to get your bolts?
If you need that much adjustment your just covering up the fact you need a new rear spring.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:19 AM
David H.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
If you need that much adjustment your just covering up the fact you need a new rear spring.
probably so

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 IRS question

Quick Reply: 1967 IRS question