C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:36 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Great thread!

I am a VA Beach native (stationed in Germany) but will be back for a bit this summer. If possible, I'd love to meet up with anyone in Tidewater area (should be there from July 5-12)

Anyway...
I think I read somewhere you might be going to Torque Thrust wheels? and you also implied you might be going to disc brakes?

You probably already know this, but the TT wheels need to have 3.5-3.7 back spacing to go over the discs. So the wheel you have with the drums might not fit over disc brake cars.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Lotsacubes (09-19-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dkleather
You have a beautiful car there! Glad to be of help!Dave
Couldn't gets the lines any better
Old 05-23-2017, 07:24 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Great thread!

I am a VA Beach native (stationed in Germany) but will be back for a bit this summer. If possible, I'd love to meet up with anyone in Tidewater area (should be there from July 5-12)

Anyway...
I think I read somewhere you might be going to Torque Thrust wheels? and you also implied you might be going to disc brakes?

You probably already know this, but the TT wheels need to have 3.5-3.7 back spacing to go over the discs. So the wheel you have with the drums might not fit over disc brake cars.

Cheers!
Definitely give one of us a shout when you're in town...theres at least 3 or 4 of us that are one here pretty regularly that are local.

As far as the TT wheels go....you are absolutely correct. The TT - D in 15x6 with 3.75 backspace will clear both the drums and the factory discs.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Greg, Revfan, you need to plan on a visit to the Landstown cruise in on Saturday afternoon. We have several new midyears in the area now and most show up on nice weather days.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Pretty car!

When you get a chance, the driver's side wiper arm park position needs to be adjusted - it should be below the pass. side arm, not above it.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Pretty car!

When you get a chance, the driver's side wiper arm park position needs to be adjusted - it should be below the pass. side arm, not above it.
Haha....Ill add it to the list that seems to be growing faster than I can check things off....gotta love old cars
Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Very lame update on the car....my steering box has been down at Van Steel for well over six weeks. I guess they're pretty back-logged which is understandable this time of year. They finally pulled mine apart and apparently when it was restored in the early 80's, it was filled with oil as opposed to grease.....so the internals were shot. This will never be an NCRS car (again), so instead of investing hundreds, if not thousands in finding the parts to rebuild my box, I told them to go ahead and send me a new one so that I can get back on the road. I also had to order a new rag joint because whoever put this thing together managed to cross thread both bolts in the rag joint. Hoping to have the parts this week....leaving for Maine vacation in the Suburban next week, but hoping to have the Vette sorted and back on the road in time for a Cars and Coffee appearance on Labor Day weekend.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I hear good things about the VS guys but I also really like Brian and the family at Bair's. I've visited them near Julie's parents hometown and even found some of my Repair fiberglass from their warehouses.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

To be honest, I had never even heard of Bari's...always heard great things about VS and in talking to them, they sound very knowledgeable....I guess its just that time of year when everyone is playing with their cars so they have a backlog of work.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:03 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
To be honest, I had never even heard of Bari's...always heard great things about VS and in talking to them, they sound very knowledgeable....I guess its just that time of year when everyone is playing with their cars so they have a backlog of work.
Bair's are one of the older names in the hobby and trailing arms and steering are one of their things. You will find their name in many threads over many year here. You can see their work in my build thread. Almost too beautiful to put under the car.

The West PA/Ohio tool and die industry has a rich heritage and they are staffed with real artists. Again, Matt has visited the folks at VS and says they're awesome as well.

The following users liked this post:
jc03 (08-12-2019)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The Van Steel guys are superb and even chased down some rare steering box parts in their "boneyard" to complete my original SWC box to NCRS specs...

Although there is a guy on the NCRS forum that claims he is the ONLY one that can really rebuild these boxes and everybody else uses junk, repro guts. Why even disparage other rebuilders ? Not enough work ?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

For the record I'm not disparaging VS, just giving what history I have on Bair's.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Could this be your car when it was new on the lot!

1964 Corvette Sting Ray Coupe
Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mjdart
Could this be your car when it was new on the lot!

1964 Corvette Sting Ray Coupe
Cool pic! Based on the way they're dressed, I doubt it....mine was sold out of Phoenix AZ when new. I've got all the paperwork down in the garage...Ill have to go dig up the actual dealership name.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

A few updates....got the new steering box and rag joint in....drives nice and straight now with no slop.

As every good project snowballs, I pulled the valve covers to replace the cork gaskets that were leaking horribly with some Fel-Pro pieces....while I was in the motor I noticed that many of the rockers were particularly loose...I checked a few different cylinders with the cam on its base circle for that particular cylinder and got lash setting anywhere from .028 to .034. I decided to go through, using SWCDuke's procedures that he published a while back for the solid lifter motors, and set the valve lash correctly. Once it was finished, I went back through and verified everything a second time in accordance with his procedures.

While I was doing a partial tune up, I figured Id check the plugs and wires as well. Plugs weren't terrible, but the wires were pretty hard and brittle, so I decided to to change those while I was already at it. Some will cringe, but I pulled all of the chrome heat shielding and went with Access 9000 wires with the ceramic boots and shielded wires to alleviate burnt boots and radio interference. I realize its not "correct", but I much prefer the look of neatly routed plug wires to the chrome shielding. It has all be carefully organized and packaged away for a later date should I decide to take the car back to stock.

Lastly I gave it a fresh oil change....I was actually shocked how clean the oil looked, but since I have no idea how long its been in there (only driven 365 miles since 1982) I figured it was cheap insurance. Along those lines, and this may be a dumb question, does the gear box and differential have drain plugs?....or does the fluid have to be sucked out the fill hole to replace it? I spent a good 15 minutes crawling around under the car and couldn't find the drain for either. Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 01:05 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,142 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Fun DIY stuff. Nice job. The only way to drain the transmission or the rear end is to siphon the lube out...as you found out, there are no drain plugs for either
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Fun DIY stuff. Nice job. The only way to drain the transmission or the rear end is to siphon the lube out...as you found out, there are no drain plugs for either
Figured that was probably the case....kind of a pain but not the end of the world...something to do Saturday morning I suppose.

Get notified of new replies

To My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe

Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

That looks awesome!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Greg, you need to get some Por 15 on those exhaust manifolds. Looking good.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC
Greg, you need to get some Por 15 on those exhaust manifolds. Looking good.
I agree but after media blasting them first.

Quick Reply: My Daytona Blue '64 Coupe