C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restomod Engine Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Restomod Engine Wiring

OK lets see pictures of how ya hid your engine wiring harness on your restomod.....

I installed my engine wiring harness & I'm not happy.....
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Two questions for you:
1. Is the priority showing the car, vs. driving and maintaining it?
2. Are you planning to paint the engine compartment body color or satin black?
I went round and round on this issue when I built mine. I did mine a few years ago and used a 2004 LS6 which has a larger PCM and harness than the newer LS3's.
I ended up not running hidden wiring for the sake of ease of maintenance. That said, I did run everything through black conduit, and hiding the wiring that had to go across the engine by making a simple cover over the windshield wiper motor recess and running that wiring behind it. But I also went with satin black engine compartment so the conduit is much less obvious.
I'm using an SR III chassis that I had silver powder coated, so when someone looks in my engine compartment their eyes are drawn to the motor and the chassis. The wiring harness is certainly visible but not blatantly so.

Good luck with the project,
Rick
Old 04-15-2017, 06:37 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Here is one of my last 69 restomod and one of my first 63 restomod. I run the front light, a/c and fan wiring thru the top of the wheel wells. All my cars are driven regularly so I don't want to make impossible to service.
Mark

Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Vet
OK lets see pictures of how ya hid your engine wiring harness on your restomod.....

I installed my engine wiring harness & I'm not happy.....
Well show us what you did!

I'm open for suggestions also
Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

It's impossible to hide all of the wiring. Where it's visible, I cut the cheap corrugated plastic off then install braided wire wrap over the wires. I heat shrink the ends where possible.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:18 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Old thread died quickly. Found it while planning the wiring on my C2 LS3 resto-mod. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a couple pics of my 54. I put the computer behind pass interior kick panel. I made a metal cover to hide the wiring running from engine over towards passenger side.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Its reassuring to know I'm not the only one with wood in their Corvette.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:05 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMoon
Old thread died quickly. Found it while planning the wiring on my C2 LS3 resto-mod. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
i am a novice but here are pictures of what i have....i didn't really want the show car look, rather a clean (enough) practical approach....so see pictures...i have the ecm under passenger fender and the fuse box under driver fender....in engine compartment.....have a 150 amp curcuit breaker....by the battery....its neat because it cuts off all power past the starter if need be....have a positive junction from heavy wire to drivers side to supply power to ls fuse box and the electric power brake motor....and I have multiple grounds all over the system, most if not all going back to the neg battery connection....just getting it up and running and all seems to work...i used the braided loom from Summit Racing for all....if you havent bought your harness i suggest American Autowire modified harness.....it is a good deal....

Get notified of new replies

To Restomod Engine Wiring

Quick Reply: Restomod Engine Wiring