C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Wheelwells

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:35 PM
milano maroon
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Default C2 Wheelwells

Hey everyone, as I continue prepping my car for primer I have come across another area where I need some advice. The previous owner of my car had run large wheels and tires, wide enough that they hit the upper portions of the wheelwell and wore some of the fiberglass lip away. I have attempted to rebuild the lip using resin and mat and need to know if I am on the right track.

Does the width of the area between the top of the wheelwell and the belt line look correct? When I built the lips back up I basically only had to re-work the center 12" to 14" of the wheel well. The horizontal portions leaving the front and rear upper radius' were OK. But when I look at the assembly manual I'm not sure what I have matches that. Am I being too picky? I measured these areas on my brother-in-laws '67 convertible and his wheelwell to belt line measurements were about 3/4", which if what I tried to achieve. I am hoping to get this side right before starting on the other.

What do you guys think? Thanks again for your help.
Attached Images         
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I get 3/4's of an inch at the rear on my car which has never been hit.

Can't say the same for the front though.

Gary
Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I measured front and back of my no hit 67. Both are about 5/8".

Ed
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,041 Likes on 693 Posts

The flat part of the top of the wheel well opening looks too flat to my eyes. The height looks good, but I think the arch starts down earlier in each corner. If you are off, it won't be by much though.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 AM
milano maroon
Racer

Thank you for the replies so far. I appreciate all of the opinions. I have attached two pictures of other wheelwells gleaned from this forum for comparison. Maybe mine are a little too flat on top but I don't think I added any material to the original fiberglass. Or maybe decrease the distance between the top of the wheelwell and the belt line. What do you guys think?

Or should I leave it alone?
Attached Images     
Old 04-19-2017, 01:21 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Nows the time to make sure it's ok or that YOU can live with it. It's hard to tell but as I look at mine, it seems like mine angles in more than yours appears to. In other words yours looks parallel to the wheel where mine seems to angle in a just a bit. It makes the body line look more profound. This makes it hard to compare the 3/4 vs 5/8.

Is there another Vette nearby you can look at to compare it to?

Ed
Old 04-19-2017, 01:26 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
The flat part of the top of the wheel well opening looks too flat to my eyes. The height looks good, but I think the arch starts down earlier in each corner. If you are off, it won't be by much though.
I noticed that too - but not sure if it's an illusion or what. Particularly in the rear side of the rear wheel openings, it looks like the top edge extends to far back before curving down. But could be an illusion because the car is sitting pretty high on the suspension. I guess if he has only worked on the inner lip and only the center most area - then the rest of the wheel opening profile should be stock GM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Here's a few pictures of my front wheel well. If I hold a level under the lip and keep it level with the ground, it looks like the angle is about 12 degrees off of 90 degrees.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 PM
milano maroon
Racer

Thank you everyone for the advice and for the pics of your car Ed. I am leaving for 2
weeks and when I get back will do something. Not sure what yet, will have to think about it a bit.

When I was reconstructing the lip I added resin and mat and probably over built portions, at least the center 12" to 14". I think I need to remove some
of the lip which will also start to in ease the ramp up from the radius's and not make it look quite so flat. Will see how I feel about it when I get back.

While they are close I don't think they are quite right yet.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

My pleasure. If there are any more pics you need, let me know.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Wheelwells

Quick Reply: C2 Wheelwells