C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Engine ID number location & distributor ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 PM
egerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ID number location & distributor ?

On the 58 C1 I recently bought, I was told the original engine had been replaced with a later model 327. I would like to be able to document the info on the current engine.

Where do I look for any stampings that will ID the engine? are they easy to find? I assume once I find the stampings , there are web sites that will help me decode the info.

I would like this info in order to get the proper specs for the CURRENT engine and not depend on timing info that may or may not still be accurate for the engine installed.

Also did the 58 have conventional distributor with points and distributor or an electronic type? If conventional, where can I find the info on the settings needed for proper tune-up?

thanks
ED G
Old 04-25-2017, 08:20 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Look here: http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.html#balance and in the Camaro Research Group site http://www.camaros.org and in the FAX section of this forum. All sorts of info.

If you find the numbers, I am sure some of the guys here will help you out in the interpretation.

CAUTION: THIS NUMBERS THING BECOMES VERY ADDICTIVE. Pretty soon, you'll be looking for numbers on you fruit of the looms.

Last edited by R66; 04-25-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Your engine should have a series of letters and numbers stamped into the machined pad on the right front of the block. One set of numbers will have a letter for the engine assembly plant (F or X for Flint and T for Tonawanda), 4 numbers for the assembly month and day, and finally a code made up of 1 to 3 letters, to identify the engine. Depending on what the engine came from, it could also have a partial VIN number, for the car it was originally installed in.

On the left rear of the block, on the flange that the transmission bellhousing bolts to, there should be a casting number, cast into the block. On the flange on the right will be a date, identifying when the block was cast.

There are an assortment of sites that can be used to decode the info you find on your block, but you can post it on the Forum also, to get it decoded.

Depending on what engine was originally installed in your 58, it could have had a single or dual point distributor. Electronic ignition wasn't offered until 1964. Timing and point gap are available in the ST-12 53-62 Corvette Service Guide, and possibly in the 58 owners manual, both of which are available as reproductions.

It's not a great example, but below is a picture of what the pad on the front of the block should look like.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine ID number location & distributor ?

Quick Reply: [C1] Engine ID number location & distributor ?