C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Overheating Left Rear Brake Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,090 Likes on 4,740 Posts
Army

I'll try one last time...put the emergency brake back on and drive the car a while using ONLY the emergency brake to stop repeatedly in some super safe area ?

The emergency brake does not involve the rear wheel cylinders or rubber brake hoses; its all mechanical and not hydraulic...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-24-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 PM
williamarthurascs
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your inputs, earlier (two weeks ago before removing the differential) I removed the entire emergency brake lever, bolt, nut bracket and washer, from the LR wheel (secondary brake shoe) leaving only the loose end of the e-cable in the backing plate........IE No emergency brake on LR wheel. Drove 20 miles applied the brakes 8 times during that test run and the drum and wheel were smoking hot and you could smell the shoe material smoking. STICK A FORK IN ME I AM DONE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I think you misread my post.

You apparently have a heat-related failure in a hydraulic part of the brake system that keeps the brakes engaged after a repeated number of stops. Typically this is internal "hour-glassing" of a brake line hose or a wheel cylinder that may have a rust line in the bore from disuse.

With new parts it'll be a defect.

What I propose eliminates hydraulics; if it works I'd replace the LR brake line, wheel cylinder and small metal connecting line on principle...

I would prob do that even if the test did NOT work.

To test the hard T-line I would completely loosen or even remove the LR bleeder valve and give the brakes a pump, if fluid jets out (watch the paint) that line is NOT your problem...

You're clearly frustrated and if this suggestions will only cause you more angst you can certainly ignore them - my feelings won't be hurt a bit...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-24-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:54 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Raise the car on jack stands and run the rear axle, just like you're driving it and watch/listen to what happens and when.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
Raise the car on jack stands and run the rear axle, just like you're driving it and watch/listen to what happens and when.
That works only if he has posi though ? Right Mike ? We're talking LR
Old 05-24-2017, 07:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I am suggesting raising both rear wheels off the ground and spin the axle.

If one wheels tries to seize, he'll know it whether he has positraction or not.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
I am suggesting raising both rear wheels off the ground and spin the axle.

If one wheels tries to seize, he'll know it whether he has positraction or not.
Got it!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:21 AM
iamq
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 60 Posts

I had this happen on my Camaro after the rebuild, drove me nuts... Finally took the drums to NAPA and had them turned.... Problem solved....
Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The point of my test above was to test the mechanical parts (e.g. drum/shoe contact) vs the hydraulic parts (hoses/cylinders). Never tried it before but it seems valid. Plus, I thought this fella had swapped drums once already but I can't keep track.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

could it be a crushed (or obstructed) left rear brake metal line? If it's all but fully crushed, it would let fluid go to the cylinder after multiple braking, but keep the brakes too long under pressure cause the fluid takes time to flow back through the obstructed line. Just trying to help

Last edited by alexandervdr; 05-24-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

For the cost of a new, another rubber hose, I would replace that first.
If that does not fix it I would replace the wheel cylinder
I had a rubber hose act like a check valve, would bleed great but when hooked up to wheel would hold pressure when brake was applied
Steel line from "T" to wheel clean and clear?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Sometimes, if your brake pedal doesn't come back all the way up, it will not relieve the pressure in the line, and it will keep building pressure with every pump of the brakes. But that would not explain why it's only happening in that one wheel. You might crack the bleeder when the brake is dragging to see if there is pressure in the line.

Gerry
Old 05-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

There is a residual valve in the master cylinder that could cause the problem, the only way it could affect only one wheel would be if the return springs on that wheel were substantially weaker than on the other three wheels.

Remove and cap the line and try it, remember the left rear brake is not functional, if it heats up the problem in mechanical (drum and lining), if it doesn't it is hydraulics.

Bill
Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

With all the heat that has been generated during this testing, the brake shoes must by now be exhibiting a wear pattern. Would you share this with us?
Old 05-26-2024, 10:47 AM
Bowtiemike
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I know it's an old post but did you ever solve the problem?

Originally Posted by williamarthurascs
I recently purchased a 62 on a 58 frame (MUTT) and completed a brake overhaul. All shoes, drums, cylinders, hardware, fluid, rear brake hose and steel lines, and rear axle shaft bearings. I have adjusted the shoes multiple times but the left rear get's smoking hot after driving about 5-10 miles. I removed the linkages inside the drum for the emergency brake thinking maybe a cause of dragging but no change. Can someone give me a clue as to what might be causing a single wheel to overheat after all of this maintenance? I am down to condeming the rear differential gear cluster causing the axle to overheat?
Did you ever solve the problem?

Quick Reply: [C1] Overheating Left Rear Brake Assembly