C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] disable drum brake self adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default disable drum brake self adjusters

I have a persistant squealing in my front drum brakes at very low speed. I tried about all imaginable solutions (including changing the brake pads, anti noise grease etc..) but nothing seems to work. My last guess is that the self adjusters bring the pads too close to the drum. To test the validity of this assumption, I would like to take out the self adjuster mechanisme (the lever/spring), set the pads a bit further from the drum and see how that goes.

Question: is there a (safety) problem converting to 'manual' adjustment?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
Question: is there a (safety) problem converting to 'manual' adjustment?
I don't know if it will take care of the noise issue but removing the self adjusters should not create a problem unless the paw/cable/spring performs some second function on the GM brake. I have a 67 Plymouth GTX with the standard 11 inch police brake package that are strictly manual adjustment. Some versions of the brakes in full size cars used automatic adjusters.

I would suspect the noise is due to the shoes not being radiused or trued to the actual drum diameter. Seems to be a lost art with everyone running disc brakes now.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The adjusters will not "over-adjust" -- that is not your problem. Look for the 1963 GM instructional video on YouTube about the self adjusters before you tear things apart or do something unsafe.

If you drive the car 200 or so miles the shoes will 'arch' themselves to the drums...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-19-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM
turbodave231
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have the dampner springs on the outside of the drums?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM
turbodave231
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Arc grinding linings.............yes a lost art. I have a friend suffering with Meso from these ancient practices.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

A forum member (I shall not name) was tasked with setting up an old-time brake service shop, with all the old equipment in a lab environment, to determine the amount of asbestos hazard to workers as part of the evidence in a class action law suit....
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The adjusters will not "over-adjust" -- that is not your problem. Look for the 1963 GM instructional video on YouTube about the self adjusters before you tear things apart or do something unsafe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6qTqJ-tdrE&t=81s

If you drive the car 200 or so miles the shoes will 'arch' themselves to the drums...
You referred to this great video some months ago when I was already struggling with the same problem. I watched it several times. The video was very helpful in fully understanding how the brake adjustment works. But the squealing problem remains...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turbodave231
Do you have the dampner springs on the outside of the drums?
I am not aware of any springs in the original, so I don't have them neither...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I don't know if it will take care of the noise issue but removing the self adjusters should not create a problem unless the paw/cable/spring performs some second function on the GM brake. I have a 67 Plymouth GTX with the standard 11 inch police brake package that are strictly manual adjustment. Some versions of the brakes in full size cars used automatic adjusters.

I would suspect the noise is due to the shoes not being radiused or trued to the actual drum diameter. Seems to be a lost art with everyone running disc brakes now.
It may be a lost art, but I happend to find a local shop that still does this. Entering the shop makes make feel like entering the 70-ies. They are going to turn the pads on monday.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

It may be a lost art, but I happend to find a local shop that still does this. Entering the shop makes make feel like entering the 70-ies. They are going to turn the pads on monday.
I can remember the 70's but you are a bit young .....No? then again, let me look at the pictures.....hmmmm....

Well, your other half looks much younger.....

Jack
Old 05-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I would take a few minutes and rough-up the shoes and drums with a bit of sandpaper...it could well be you've got some 'glazing' from too much heat. It'll only take about 20 minutes to do the front axle and your squeal may just disappear...
Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I can remember the 70's but you are a bit young .....No? then again, let me look at the pictures.....hmmmm....

Well, your other half looks much younger.....

Jack
I am the old timer (turning 60!) , and my other half the young(er) timer ;-) She is 53 but looks like she had a full body restore that took 10 years out of the 'ageing' equation
Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I would take a few minutes and rough-up the shoes and drums with a bit of sandpaper...it could well be you've got some 'glazing' from too much heat. It'll only take about 20 minutes to do the front axle and your squeal may just disappear...
Yep! You might also try swapping the drums side/side.

GM put the springs around the outside of the drums to prevent brake noise. Then they quit doing it. Did it work? I have no idea.

I don't think matching the shoes to the drum or removing the self adjuster will make a difference. But I've never had a self adjuster set the brakes too tight nor have I ever had a squeal from drum brakes that I recall. If I did, I probably didn't pay any attention to it.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

I have a persistent squealing in my front drum brakes at very low speed.
You don't drive the car enough and use the brakes hard enough. Get out and drive, don't baby the brakes; the squeal will disappear.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
Yep! You might also try swapping the drums side/side.

GM put the springs around the outside of the drums to prevent brake noise. Then they quit doing it. Did it work? I have no idea.

I don't think matching the shoes to the drum or removing the self adjuster will make a difference. But I've never had a self adjuster set the brakes too tight nor have I ever had a squeal from drum brakes that I recall. If I did, I probably didn't pay any attention to it.
my 'problem' is that I made the car very quiet (to C2 standards) so any noise gets noticed
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
You don't drive the car enough and use the brakes hard enough. Get out and drive, don't baby the brakes; the squeal will disappear.
3000 miles in the last couple of months should have done it, no?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Maybe in some cases but I was looking at my GTX's rear brake shoes several months ago that have about 4 - 5,000 miles on them and I could definitely see where areas of the shoes were not making good contact with the drums - the ends were showing the most contact. This was my rear brakes on what is a petty front heavy car so the front shoes may have arched themselves better.

The dampener springs on the drums is a good point. I don't have springs on the replacement front drums on my Plymouth and occasionally at low speed when they are cold I hear a little noise from them.

Get notified of new replies

To disable drum brake self adjusters

Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

I progressed in my testing. I bent the self adjusting arm away from click wheel, and turned the click wheel 4 clicks in. This inhibited the self adjusting function, and moved the pads a bit further away from the drums.
Then went out for a drive. The first hundreds of yards the squealing at low speed was still there, but then it disappeared (probably after some braking what centred the pads in the drums). It's difficult not to conclude that the noise is due to friction of the pads against the drums.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 PM
**Stumpy2
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodave231
Arc grinding linings.............yes a lost art. I have a friend suffering with Meso from these ancient practices.
In the past 25 years I have represented a number of men with mesothelioma following asbestos exposure from automotive work. It is a very real threat that all members working on pre-1990 cars should be aware of.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Brake Squeak

Take a file and chamfer the square edge on all the brake friction material. That's usually where squeaks & squeals come from.

Quick Reply: [C2] disable drum brake self adjusters