C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

could my distributor be "born with"

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 PM
jkredwing
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default could my distributor be "born with"

Years ago I bought a '66 basket case that so far seems to be a #s matching car. It has been sitting since the early '70s ,at least thats what I was told. It didn't have orig. carb(found one) or ex. manifolds (found a pair) so those parts aren't "born with". It's a mid Sept. '65 build, according to all date stamps so far. The distributor is the number for a '65 L79 and this car is a '66 L79 that should have a different part #. Could it be born with a left over '65 and are these two dist. any different?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

What's the tag on the base of the dizzy say? In case it is original, do not take the tag off.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,040 Likes on 675 Posts

JK - It's unlikely your 66 had left-over 65 parts, a lot of years have passed since 1966 and anything is possible. I scanned quickly through your other posts but didn't read them all individually. Have you posted up some pics of your project yet?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
JK - It's unlikely your 66 had left-over 65 parts, a lot of years have passed since 1966 and anything is possible. I scanned quickly through your other posts but didn't read them all individually. Have you posted up some pics of your project yet?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Back in the 70's no one looked at dates, if it fit, it went into your car. Every one just went to a local junk yard and took off parts from the cars stacked up.

Jack
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,040 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Back in the 70's no one looked at dates, if it fit, it went into your car. Every one just went to a local junk yard and took off parts from the cars stacked up.

Jack
That's true, I was commenting that it was unlikely that the 'factory' installed '65 parts on his '66. Once they were off the showroom floor, anything was possible.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
That's true, I was commenting that it was unlikely that the 'factory' installed '65 parts on his '66. Once they were off the showroom floor, anything was possible.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Yep, more likely a dealer/shop may have put it in during service early in its life
Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 AM
jkredwing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Yep, more likely a dealer/shop may have put it in during service early in its life
Thanks guys. I'm going to take a closer looks at the engine. It's wrapped in plastic on a stand at my rental home. I had to leave it there because I haven't built a garage at our current home yet. We're turning the house into a vacation rental so I'll be going there on a regular basis. I restore vintage guitars and it's not unusual to find parts from different years on guitars, especially Fenders. Leo Fender was known to use up everything, no part left behind. Because my car is very early in the '66 model year, maybe GM might have done the same. I'll try to get a good pic of the stamp pad so you can chime in. I wish to thank all of the forum members for the great info provided. I'm learning a lot. Now I gotta get to the Fri. funnies!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

How early is the VIN?

I don't know if it is impossible that a '65 casting might have found its way onto an early '65, but since you no compelling evidence that backs it up, judging would not consider it matching.

Odd to me; however, that a low-mileage C2 would require a dizzy swap.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM
jkredwing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
How early is the VIN?

I don't know if it is impossible that a '65 casting might have found its way onto an early '65, but since you no compelling evidence that backs it up, judging would not consider it matching.

Odd to me; however, that a low-mileage C2 would require a dizzy swap.
Engine is 6102204 F0917HT. So thats Sept. 17? The car has 90K on clock. I don't plan on any judging, just driving.

Last edited by jkredwing; 06-16-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:17 PM
jkredwing
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkredwing
Engine is 6102204 F0917HT. So thats Sept. 17? The car has 90K on clock. I don't plan on any judging, just driving.
Just got back from where this thing is stored and yes the crimped on
metal band around base of dist. is there with part #1111087 stamped on.
The stamp pad like everything else except valve covers and intake is coated with alum. paint, but broach marks can be seen although barely. The rocker nuts have been backed off so the pushrods are very loose. Crank turns fine. Seems like they thought it might be stored for a bit. Can't wait to dig into this thing. Oh and "I'll get by with a little help from my friends". Thanks all, JK

Last edited by jkredwing; 06-16-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Just got back from where this thing is stored and yes the crimped on
metal band around base of dist. is there with part #1111087 stamped on.
The stamp pad like everything else except valve covers and intake is coated with alum. paint, but broach marks can be seen although barely. The rocker nuts have been backed off so the pushrods are very loose. Crank turns fine. Seems like they thought it might be stored for a bit. Can't wait to dig into this thing. Oh and "I'll get by with a little help from my friends". Thanks all, JK
Sounds very interesting. I am overseas right now, or I'd be digging into my Colvin book to validate your numbers. If no one else jumps in here before I return, I will check it out.

Get notified of new replies

To could my distributor be "born with"

Quick Reply: could my distributor be "born with"