C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 54 parking brake switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 03:27 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Default 54 parking brake switch

Mine is not functioning and I have found a guy with NOS switch for 55-57 ? Is there compatibility or keep looking?

thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The brake switch is a 2 pin
I dont know if there is a difference....
One side is orange and one side is a white wire (I think)
The switch is a pass thru
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Is it the switch or the flasher? The rectangle black plastic piece with the round ends is the flasher. I would have to look at mine but I think the switch is just a set of contactors that open and close when the little spring lever lands on the button on the emergency brake pull shaft.

Last edited by Randy G.; 06-28-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Is it the switch or the flasher? The rectangle black plastic piece with the round ends is the flasher. I would have to look at mine but I think the switch is just a set of contactors that open and close when the little spring lever lands on the button on the emergency brake pull shaft.

That is really helpful. In the one photo of mine you can see the metal band bent way out of shape. The second photo I tried to bend it closer to resemble yours, but it appears there is a part missing. Third photo shows pieces apart.

Do you have a photo of how it is installed and interacts with the brake shaft handle?

Is there a way you think I could salvage this switch?

Thanks for your expertise!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Yours looks pretty bent up. The clamp part with the bolt and nut is supposed to be 90 degrees to the switch part. And it looks like the plunger (contact) is missing as evidenced by the open tear drop shaped hole in the spring piece you bent up. It's not a usable piece in my opinion.

When the assembly is clamped in place the switch makes contact at all times, except when the little metal button on top of the the brake rod pushes the little 90 degree tip you bent...up, lifting the contact away. That happens when the parking brake is released and the hand pull lever is all the way in instead of pulled out. That's what turns off the flashing brake warning light under the speedo.

I looked for quite a while to find an original one for under $200. (about 7 years ago) and finally got one in good shape. They are very hard to find. There's one on eBay right now for $99 but it's a mess. I wouldn't buy it. Check with Carol at Grossmueller's. They have a repro for $375, but she may have an original.

I'll try to get a picture of mine installed. You can almost see it here. Look on the E-brake rod just up and to the left of the brake pedal. It has a bright phillips head screw holding the clamp:

Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Yours looks pretty bent up. The clamp part with the bolt and nut is supposed to be 90 degrees to the switch part. And it looks like the plunger (contact) is missing as evidenced by the open tear drop shaped hole in the spring piece you bent up. It's not a usable piece in my opinion.

When the assembly is clamped in place the switch makes contact at all times, except when the little metal button on top of the the brake rod pushes the little 90 degree tip you bent...up, lifting the contact away. That happens when the parking brake is released and the hand pull lever is all the way in instead of pulled out. That's what turns off the flashing brake warning light under the speedo.

I looked for quite a while to find an original one for under $200. (about 7 years ago) and finally got one in good shape. They are very hard to find. There's one on eBay right now for $99 but it's a mess. I wouldn't buy it. Check with Carol at Grossmueller's. They have a repro for $375, but she may have an original.

I'll try to get a picture of mine installed. You can almost see it here. Look on the E-brake rod just up and to the left of the brake pedal. It has a bright phillips head screw holding the clamp:

Thank you good sir, much appreciated. She is supposed to be back in at grossmeullers Thursday or Friday.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

BTW your interior is awesome... with my OCD I can't imagine putting my feet in that car... you must leave your shoes outside the car...
The following users liked this post:
Randy G. (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by keeks2915
BTW your interior is awesome... with my OCD I can't imagine putting my feet in that car... you must leave your shoes outside the car...
LOL. My shoes and I stay outside of the car. I actually put a towel down, or I drive my '62. It has black carpeting.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

That is the E brake flasher - attaches to the E brake assy - the Tung Sol Flasher is what makes the Red light in the center of the steering wheel dash flash
Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Originally Posted by csherman
That is the E brake flasher - attaches to the E brake assy - the Tung Sol Flasher is what makes the Red light in the center of the steering wheel dash flash
Exactly. The black plastic piece is a Tung Sol flasher. It pushes on a pin on the switch assembly shown. The other end has a terminal that pushes on it to make the connection to the e-brake light over the steering wheel.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

I climbed under the dash today and took a couple pictures of my switch and flasher installed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Randy G.:
aalvis (06-07-2021), DAN70 (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:58 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

I climbed under the dash today and took a couple pictures of my switch and flasher installed.

I can't thank you enough! happy July 4th!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by keeks2915:
aalvis (06-07-2021), Randy G. (07-02-2017)
Old 12-26-2019, 01:05 AM
david bogosian
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't thank you enough! happy July 4th!!!

sorry to bring back a super old post but working on my flasher for my 56. How did you wire it? I have the 650 attached to the clip and my lights installed If I read correct is one end plugged into the flasher the other into the fuse box, and that wiring harness attaches to the light?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 PM
kim nixon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brake switch 56

Mine is not functioning and I have found a guy with NOS switch for 55-57 ? Is there compatibility or keep looking?

thanks in advance
hello. I am looking for the e brake switch bracket for a 56 or 57. Do you have a connection for one?

thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 54 parking brake switch

Quick Reply: [C1] 54 parking brake switch