C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:55 PM
asolde
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Advice

I am going to look at a 1962 corvette tomorrow 6/29. What are some of the things I should look for? I know the front clip has been replaced and the engine has been replaced. Need some advice asap. Thanks Alex

Last edited by asolde; 06-28-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You need more help than you think. 1962 Corvettes do not have a birdcage..

If the front has been replaced across the front wheel arches that usually turns out badly as the years go by. A full front replacement is best. Look down the front of the radiator and make sure that the support is straight. I've seen wrecked cars where it was off by an inch side-to-side.

Look for rust in the kick ups (as shown), rear crossmember and the front where the "center link" is attached.

These first generation Corvettes are lightly fused (I'm being kind here); check for any burnt, Bubba-ed, or aged wiring....it can be dangerous.

I think there are some 'sticky' posts at the top of the forum web page that provide guidance in purchasing...
Attached Images     

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-28-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 PM
asolde
Advanced

Thanks Frankie I edited the bird cage question out.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Is it at a dealer? Do you have a link with pics or can you post pics? You'd be surprised at the amount of knowledge here that can pick apart a c1/c2.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If its a killer deal, he prob doesn't want to reveal much.
I understand; I've had somebody screw me out of a nice deal on a midyear..
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

documentation and maintenance history helps. Is the guy flipping it or cared about it lovingly. Did he spend the extra buck and go the extra mile with his car (as we all do here) or cheaped out to save a buck. Does car stop drive straight handle and remain smooth under full acceleration. If he kept car what was his plans to do or fix. Ask him what the car needs to make perfect. Does he have any concerns for car. Does he have a gas station locally that can use a lift for 15 min. See if all lights work. Do backwArd figure 8s . hit gas pedal and then deccerlate
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I would find someone local (ask the guys here) who knows C1's and have them take a look at it even if it costs you a few bucks. There are a lot of little things to go with the big to take a look at.

My more recent experience. About 11 years ago I drove about 400 miles to inspect a very nice looking '57 for sale that the only problem was a "bad spark plug". The dead miss in the engine didn't scare me. On the surface the frame looked good, but it did have some fiberglass repair on the left front around the headlight bucket. After further investigation we found that the reason for the dead miss in the engine was that the number one spark plug was against the frame near the steering gear unit and you couldn't get the spark plug out of the head, let alone get the spark plug boot and wire off. The reason for the miss was the plug wire arcing (shorting) to the frame. The whole frame was tweaked.

Do your due diligence.

Last edited by Randy G.; 06-28-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:51 AM
asolde
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. I will go and see this car this morning and get a good look at it. I will take plenty of pics and report back my findings. I hope it is a good deal and I buy it. If not I will keep saving my money and continue my search.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:32 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by asolde
Thanks for the advice. I will go and see this car this morning and get a good look at it. I will take plenty of pics and report back my findings. I hope it is a good deal and I buy it. If not I will keep saving my money and continue my search.
Dont forget some of us post on a thread here to show some for sale corvettes.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:58 PM
asolde
Advanced

Default 62 corvette

I went and looked the car today and took some pictures. I could see where the front clip was replaced. I could see the repair splice about 4" forward of the firewall on each side. When you look at it just right in the light glair you can see it. I could not get a good picture of it though. I could not find the vin tag on the steering shaft just past the firewall
Attached Images          
Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM
asolde
Advanced

Default more pics

more pics
Attached Images           
Old 06-29-2017, 02:06 PM
asolde
Advanced

Default 62 corvette

more pictures
Attached Images           
Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM
asolde
Advanced

Default 62 corvette

So I liked the car. What I need to know from you experts. Is what do you think this car is worth?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I can only speak on general terms, nothing on the value. If the owner has had it for some time (very subjective) and it appears he has taken care of it, but not driven it frequently. Appearance of greasing joints, replaced brake lines etc, and possibly the radiator. The dark areas on the carpet raise a question. Is that because of a water leak at the windshield? Dennis
Old 06-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well -- not the worst I've seen. Those partial front clip repairs almost always come back to haunt a car. Frame rust is not awful but I'd make a big effort to clean that up right off.

Heater core burst at some point I'm betting.

I think the car could be a driver with some work and if bought for a decent price. It'd take a lot to bring it to "the next level" though...
Old 06-29-2017, 03:14 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I think if you can get it for 30k or less you'll be safe. If you intend to clean it up and drive it, you'll be fine at that price. If you intend to restore it to former glory, look for another car. I like what I see, and have seen much worse. Still, anything over 30k for this car is too much, IMO.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Looks a lot like my frame... which sat parked for 40 years in a hanger that on rare occasion, would flood. Lots of scary surface rust, but the frame was sound under it all. As long as you check the key spots that Frankie mentioned, it should clean up pretty well.

I would go a litter higher on value.. perhaps to $40K.. just on the fact that with a series of pretty common projects (frame clean up, heater core, carpet, etc.) you would have a pretty nice driver.

Does it run?

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice

Old 06-29-2017, 03:42 PM
asolde
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I can only speak on general terms, nothing on the value. If the owner has had it for some time (very subjective) and it appears he has taken care of it, but not driven it frequently. Appearance of greasing joints, replaced brake lines etc, and possibly the radiator. The dark areas on the carpet raise a question. Is that because of a water leak at the windshield? Dennis
I believe he had rinsed it off before I got there to see it. The carpet was wet in those areas. The engine was cold though. So if the windshield is leaking then I would need to take a better look in that area at the frame right?

I got a set of quick jacks or I can arrange to bring it to the local shop put it up on the lift and look at it a little harder. I am going back to look at it again next week.

He don't drive the car it just sit mostly in the garage. He is not mechanically inclined so he relies on his buddy to keep it running.

Last edited by asolde; 06-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM
asolde
Advanced

Originally Posted by SDVette
Looks a lot like my frame... which sat parked for 40 years in a hanger that on rare occasion, would flood. Lots of scary surface rust, but the frame was sound under it all. As long as you check the key spots that Frankie mentioned, it should clean up pretty well.

I would go a litter higher on value.. perhaps to $40K.. just on the fact that with a series of pretty common projects (frame clean up, heater core, carpet, etc.) you would have a pretty nice driver.

Does it run?
Yes it runs good. I need to drive it two of the tires were down low so he didn't want me to drive it.

This guy has owned this car for a long time and before that his brother owned the car and before that his best friend owned the car. Lots of documentation dating way back to 1983, two folders completely full of history.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by asolde
I believe he had rinsed it off before I got there to see it. The carpet was wet in those areas. The engine was cold though. So if the windshield is leaking then I would need to take a better look in that area at the frame right?

I got a set of quick jacks or I can arrange to bring it to the local shop put it up on the lift and look at it a little harder. I am going back to look at it again next week.

He don't drive the car it just sit mostly in the garage. He is not mechanically inclined so he relies on his buddy to keep it running.
The C1s have an "X" frame that the body sort of sits on top off requiring a different superstructure in the cockpit area (e.g. called "steel reinforcement".

The C2s have a "ladder" frame you sort of sit down in with an associated birdcage (both coupe and convertible).

To wit, a leaking windshield in a C1 usually results in a messy, damp interior and, rarely, serious rust in some of the steel reinforcements...like those behind the kick panels. An inspection camera and/or strong light up under the dash will tell the story pretty quickly - a lot easier than on a C2.

A dump of fluid on the carpet like shown in the picture is from an old heater core leak or possibly the cowl vent gasket deteriorated all to hell. When the owner rinsed the car off, he made a flood inside the cockpit.

You can examine a lot of the "steel reinforcement" components as shown in the second picture.

I hope you can buy the thing and give it some TLC...a scaly, rusty frame on a car with bright, shiny, new looking mag wheels. Well - the car deserves better...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-29-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Advice