C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dart sbc 427 and AFR heads...Is there anything in a Gen 1 that's more desirable??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
thats a great combo, if you go EFI use a bigger single plane that motor will use every bit of it. pm tpi421vette he builds these every day he can help you out.

only other gen 1 looking option is the SB2.2 those are getting cheap...big power! member here has a 440ci sbc with a HR cam making 720chp and while lumpy still driveable.

I say build what you posted about youl love it. jim can get you a smoking deal on a new set of AFRs too been dealing with him for many yrs.
Thanks for the post..and yep on the intake...and as AZDoug mentioned hood clearance is a problem.

I have 2" more hood clearance with Billy Dawson's chassis...but still only have 3/8" clearance over a real drop base Corvette air cleaner.

I've been considering a Holley Terminator Stealth efi ..that along with a single plane intake will hit the hood with most s.p. intakes.

Weiand makes a couple of short single plane intakes, one is 4" and a 4 1/2"...but the test show a lot of horsepower lost over the taller intakes. A necessary evil I guess. Probably won't matter much with a small tire cruiser...but you still want your cake and get to eat it too..lol.
I have zero experience in the last 30 years on a Torker style intake...with the cam profiles available theses days...it may not be that big a deal.

To show my ignorance what is a SB2.2? ...and Jim "who" regarding the AFR heads?

Thanks...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:45 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Big torque with a "era appearing engine" is the primary criteria.

I DO know all the advantages of the LS (and there are many) but they are just not my cup of tea. Engines reminiscent of my youth are much more important to me than the latest model technology.

Thanks...Stan
Agree that early looks are vastly more appealing than the cognitive dissonance of seeing an LS motor in a C1 or C2.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (07-12-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

If I were building a big cube smallblock I'd be looking at 12 degree cylinder heads.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LouieM
Agree that early looks are vastly more appealing than the cognitive dissonance of seeing an LS motor in a C1 or C2.
Well I think so too..but when you have a 100K plus in a car when finished ...you really want it to have value AND be appreciated by others.

I've spent a ton on this car already...and am now considering another $10-15K on fuel injection and a Dart engine.... and a transmission upgrade to handle the torque.

It seems more and more that the only restomods that have value AND are appreciated....are the LS cars... hence the thread.

I guess I could I could put a new LS3 in it and sell it...it's only got 85 miles on it. Then go buy a nice hot rod...lol! ..???

Thanks for the ...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-11-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
If I were building a big cube smallblock I'd be looking at 12 degree cylinder heads.
I'm vaguely familiar with those...what's the main advantage?
Thanks...Stan
Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

tpi421vette@comcast.net
hes in the C4 tech section a lot
in 10 yrs noones going to want an LS1 in their old hot rod...there will be later versions with more power of course but the orig LSx is long in the tooth. Keep a Gen 1 under the hood.
12 or 18 heads will make more power. You can make tons as it is with 23 deg pieces question is how much can you get to the ground and when it is ever enough
Stan's Customs (07-12-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
tpi421vette@comcast.net
hes in the C4 tech section a lot
in 10 yrs noones going to want an LS1 in their old hot rod...there will be later versions with more power of course but the orig LSx is long in the tooth. Keep a Gen 1 under the hood.
12 or 18 heads will make more power. You can make tons as it is with 23 deg pieces question is how much can you get to the ground and when it is ever enough

That's what I have always thought too...but don't see much happening with Gen 1 engines in the high dollar restomods right now.

Makes me wonder sometimes if I'm just burning "more" money to stay with a Gen 1....so I am searching for the "timless engine".

You are right I believe...The new kids on the block will think LS engines are obsolete some day...to say nothing of a Gen 1....unless it's super special, whatever it is.

The car will be in the family quite a while after I'm gone....but you never know what health issue or something else could cause a need to sell off toys...so retaining value is always something to consider when upgrades can be way over 10K.

Maybe the thread should have been titled "What is a timeless Gen 1 sbc engine...the best of the best??"

I suppose that's what I'm looking for, in all reality.

Stan..

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-12-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Hey Stan,

Like many others, I just can't bring myself to the LS menu yet. Especially in an old C1, or C2 series Corvettes.

I guess that means I'm becoming a Dinasaur, or have already hit that status.

But you know what.....I'm "ok" with that!

Pat
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Some days are better than others for me Pat..LOL

I ain't appreciating getting old as much as I should...but my beloved late stepfather told me once, that old age beats the "alternative"!

I believe he had a valid point...and in the end it doesn't matter who you please as long as you please yourself. (...or so I keep telling myself. Then I start an argument with myself about it...heh, heh!)

Thanks for the
Stan..
ptjsk (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:09 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I would say your plan to build a SBC 427 is grand! Just think of the smiles each time some yuppy in a modern car is shocked by the torque this old school monster will have as low as 2,000 RPM. No doubt the LS engines are a better design but it would take a good running one to play with your 427 in a car that weighs 3,000 pounds.
Build it and have fun.
It will be half the cost of a LS conversion and that will more than pay for all the fuel it uses for the rest of its life.
I found a standard bore 400 SBC that will end up as a 406 with AFR heads. I think it will be enough for me but a step down from your beast.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

A small block 400 and AFR heads is probably the smart thing to do...in fact what got me started on this.

I still have a 400 block with a 350 crank from days of old...(377cid ifir?) BUT..it's tired and it was bored to begin with, so I'm not sure it could be bored again. It was killer boat motor though..19' Baja! I was in good health and livin' the dream then. Heck, I was still waterskiing when I was in my 50's.

Thanks for the input...Stan
Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

I'm vaguely familiar with those...what's the main advantage?
Thanks...Stan
Chamber is more like a hemi head with less shrouding around the valves. Valve angle (wedge) is smaller and runners have less turns in them so a straighter shot into the chambers. LS/LT, Ford Coyote and other modern heads have smaller valve angle than the original 23 degree design of Gen I and II SBC, which is a big part of why they flow so well.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 07-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Chamber is more like a hemi head with less shrouding around the valves. Valve angle (wedge) is smaller and runners have less turns in them so a straighter shot into the chambers. LS/LT, Ford Coyote and other modern heads have smaller valve angle than the original 23 degree design of Gen I and II SBC, which is a big part of why they flow so well.
Hmm..I didn't know that. I'm waay outa the loop anymore though.

Are intake manifolds and accessory drive packages expensive for that set up?

thanks...Stan
Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

thanks...Stan
When you go to a 12-15 degree head you are in a totally different ball game. Depending on who you get those style heads from you will need offset solid roller lifters, a shaft rocker system T&D or Jesel, and a few you can use off the shelf higher end manifolds. Then you get to the pistons all custom as the valve locations are different even between two 15 degree head MFG's. It is a total package and not something a novice can put together. The intake port volumes are quite large also not really for a street type motor.

I am in the planning process of building a 15 degree engine for my Nova what you must understand every part bolted to the motor is based off of whatever head you get.

If you want some options look here RFD: http://raceflowdevelopment.com/

or at CFE Heads: http://www.cferacing.com/

The prices for these heads alone will scare 95% of the people away.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:09 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

thanks...Stan
What Dave said, although I would not agree that one would have to be building a full race engine. Edelbrock and maybe others make off the shelf intake manifolds for many of these heads. Custom headers are usually required even for a good set of raised/D-port aluminum conventional 23 degree heads, so there's nothing extra involving the headers as customs are needed either way.

Pro-Filer makes very high quality products. Cast and machined in the USA, for about 2/3 the price of more glamorous names like AFR, etc. Chad Speier can CNC machine and tweak them for you if you buy standard (not CNC) ports.

I have had a set of them on my engine for some years now, and they are EXCELLENT value and amazing flow/performance.

https://www.profilerperformance.com/...ree-heads.html

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 07-12-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

op your car is so light 400+ cubes with a nice head will give you more power than you could imagine putting to the ground in Gen 1 23 deg form, go for it!.big torque on the st is where its at
Stan's Customs (07-17-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:37 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

What Dave said, although I would not agree that one would have to be building a full race engine. Edelbrock and maybe others make off the shelf intake manifolds for many of these heads. Custom headers are usually required even for a good set of raised/D-port aluminum conventional 23 degree heads, so there's nothing extra involving the headers as customs are needed either way.

Pro-Filer makes very high quality products. Cast and machined in the USA, for about 2/3 the price of more glamorous names like AFR, etc. Chad Speier can CNC machine and tweak them for you if you buy standard (not CNC) ports.

I have had a set of them on my engine for some years now, and they are EXCELLENT value and amazing flow/performance.

https://www.profilerperformance.com/...ree-heads.html
I have a set of Profiler heads done by Chad on my 365 SBC in the Nova now. Very nice for a 23 degree head.
Stan's Customs (07-12-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Dart sbc 427 and AFR heads...Is there anything in a Gen 1 that's more desirable??

Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
I have a set of Profiler heads done by Chad on my 365 SBC in the Nova now. Very nice for a 23 degree head.

Yes they are. Mine flow 290 plus through 203 cc intakes. Enough to make almost 500 horsepower on chassis dyno from a .030 over 327.

My next project should be an all aluminum 427 SBC, streetable torque monster, making 650 plus horsepower. All engine.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 07-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
When you go to a 12-15 degree head you are in a totally different ball game. Depending on who you get those style heads from you will need offset solid roller lifters, a shaft rocker system T&D or Jesel, and a few you can use off the shelf higher end manifolds. Then you get to the pistons all custom as the valve locations are different even between two 15 degree head MFG's. It is a total package and not something a novice can put together. The intake port volumes are quite large also not really for a street type motor.

I am in the planning process of building a 15 degree engine for my Nova what you must understand every part bolted to the motor is based off of whatever head you get.

If you want some options look here RFD: http://raceflowdevelopment.com/

or at CFE Heads: http://www.cferacing.com/

The prices for these heads alone will scare 95% of the people away.
After looking at the cost of a few things related to a 15 degree engines...I can relate.

I have a Dana 3.33 rear and 15 inch rims, with wide whitewalls. No way I could utilize the hp available with these heads (on a big inch sbc to boot). I can see that 20k could be spent on the long block by itself without too much effort.

That maybe a little out of my comfort zone..lol, but very hard to not like, as in very cool!

Thanks for the information...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes they are. Mine flow 290 plus through 203 cc intakes. Enough to make almost 500 horsepower on chassis dyno from a .030 over 327.

My next project should be an all aluminum 427 SBC, streetable torque monster, making 650 plus horsepower. All engine.
Something along that line is more in my comfort zone...and as said earlier...something cool in any language about "427".... All aluminum is a little twist that's nice as well. The Dart cast block is really nice also...either would have some bragging rights it seems to me?

Quick Reply: Dart sbc 427 and AFR heads...Is there anything in a Gen 1 that's more desirable??