C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Let there be light - but which one bulb or lens

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:58 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,037 Posts
Default Let there be light - but which one bulb or lens

FYI,
So I asked which is better - LED bulbs or LED infused lenses. I will not go into the Vendors thing, only trying to pass on what I have found.
RJ1 donated a couple of LED bulbs to me and I got a 15 LED lens to use as a comparison. Thanks Ray. I used a dark garage and the garage door as I figure that is what the car behind would see.

Here are the pics. It is your call:

The first pic is an 1157 bulb in the right tail light and the LED lens in the left tail light with only the tail lights on.

The second pic is an 1157 bulb in the right tail light and the LED lens in the left tail light with the tail lights on and hitting the brakes.

The third pic is RJ1's LED bulb in the right tail light and the LED lens in the left tail light with only the tail lights on.

The fourth pic is RJ1's LED bulb in the right tail light and the LED lens in the left tail light with the tail lights on and hitting the brakes.

Keep in mind the right tail light is on the left in the reflections.

The 1157 bulb with tail lights only is rather scary to me. The 1157 brake light seemed adequate.

I am split between the LED bulb and 15 LED lens. I am leaning toward the LED bulb as it radiates more like the 1157 lamps. But see little difference in the LED bulb to LED lens.

Your thoughts or not? Just info if you are looking to upgrade.
Attached Images     

Last edited by R66; 07-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I like the led bulb better than the lens assy. Do you have a part number for the led bulb?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sky65
I like the led bulb better than the lens assy. Do you have a part number for the led bulb?

Thanks
Tom
No part number on the bulbs Tom,
Here are a couple of pictures of the bulb. It is amazing that there is only one very small red chip in the end of the bulb that I could see. The end of the bulb is concave. There is no p/n on the bulbs.

I was going to put the car outside in the dark and try to take some pictures, but we got an electrical & wind storm last night (no rain).

I may PM one of the administrators to see if they will let me publish what I believe to be the manufacturer of both the bulb and lenses.
I don't want to step on the supporting vendors toes as they provide funding to keep the forum going and also provide discounts to forum members.

I am trying to do this as I don't want to throw $$$$ away for inferior products and believe a picture is worth many $$$$s more than words.

Ron
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2017, 02:20 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

I received guidance from a Forum Administrator to allow me to provide information on the two systems I tested:

The infused tail lights are (I believe) manufactured or imported by United Pacific Industries who markets lights for almost everything thru their distributors. I may be wrong. It appears UPI only sells thru their distributors. An inquiry to our Supporting Vendors may find they are distributors.

The LED bulbs appear to be from Superbrightleds.com. who appears to be an importer of only LED bulbs. The model number I tested appears to be 1157-R3W which is on clearance and appears to be on it's way to being discontinued. They may have a better replacement now.

I found a couple of Supporting Vendors that offer the infused tail lights at a competitive price to others, but do not state (or I didn't find) who the manufacturer is. A couple also offer LED bulbs, but I didn't find the model I tested.

PLEASE, I am only trying to show a comparison of the two that I tested, not recommend a retailer whether they be supporting vendors or not. I also am not trying to recommend one type over the other.

I welcome challenges to my unscientific test that find it invalid or inferior to another product. Also add your posts of a better light and show me where I failed.

Ron

Last edited by R66; 07-11-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I recently tried the Sylvania - Zevo LED replacement bulbs in another vehicle (Zevo LEDs are available at most FLAPs). They were a big disappointment for any tail or parking housing that has a clear lens. The Zevo units have a reverse illuminating group of LEDs that are aimed to the rear of the bulb, to reflect off the housing reflector, but do not aim any light straight forward. Since a standard incandescent bulb has an almost completely spherical output, an LED cluster has difficulty in mimicking that light output in a lamp housing with a clear lens, without some of the LED elements aimed forward.

Don't know how they would work in a C1 or C2 application, but did not work for my clear housing application.

Plasticman
The following users liked this post:
R66 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:44 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Close for review
----------

Guys, it seems that the OP is desperately trying to continue to obtain LED information within the forum rules, despite the fact these threads are continuously derailed by people who know better.

I have already removed 2 posts that still found it necessary to go on about the sales of the banned same Non Supporting Vendor whose constant references get these threads closed. One by name. Please try to have some consideration for the OP and not get his thread closed.

And seeing how its not clear, similar posts will be viewed as promotion of a Non Supporting Vendor, even if you dance around his name or reference him in some other clever, creative way. I prefer to not close or review and edit every LED thread thats started, so these postings will be sanctioned if repeated. Rather than sanction the removed posts, I'm making this post to clarify how they will be handled in the future. Thanks for the co-operation moving forward.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 07-11-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R66
I received guidance from a Forum Administrator to allow me to provide information on the two systems I tested:

The infused tail lights are (I believe) manufactured or imported by United Pacific Industries who markets lights for almost everything thru their distributors. I may be wrong. It appears UPI only sells thru their distributors. An inquiry to our Supporting Vendors may find they are distributors.

The LED bulbs appear to be from Superbrightleds.com. who appears to be an importer of only LED bulbs. The model number I tested appears to be 1157-R3W which is on clearance and appears to be on it's way to being discontinued. They may have a better replacement now.

I found a couple of Supporting Vendors that offer the infused tail lights at a competitive price to others, but do not state (or I didn't find) who the manufacturer is. A couple also offer LED bulbs, but I didn't find the model I tested.

PLEASE, I am only trying to show a comparison of the two that I tested, not recommend a retailer whether they be supporting vendors or not. I also am not trying to recommend one type over the other.

I welcome challenges to my unscientific test that find it invalid or inferior to another product. Also add your posts of a better light and show me where I failed.

Ron
Ron. I for one appreciate your practical test of the LED comparison. Personally I like he separate bulb option. The bulb number you listed is a red LED. Is that what you used? Any thoughts on white behind the red lens?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Ron. I for one appreciate your practical test of the LED comparison. Personally I like he separate bulb option. The bulb number you listed is a red LED. Is that what you used? Any thoughts on white behind the red lens?

Thanks
Tom
Tom,

The bulb I tested is from the generosity of RJ1 (Ray) and his lovely bride. Would love to meet them someday.

I cannot attest to the exact P/N, however it is a RED LED and appears to be the one I quoted. You would have to PM RJ1 to get confirmation.

The LED manufacturers state that you should use a RED LED with the RED lens as any other color lens blocks the red light, back to 10th grade physics. I don't know. Other posts that I have read said a white LED was less bright with a red lens and provided an orange light with a red lens. I have not tried this, but could if you want to send a white LED.

The pics I posted are with the original red lens.

Then I got to thinkin' my wife hates that, and if the infused LED tail lights go out on a trip and the IL cops stop me for a tail light out, where am I going to buy a lens to go with the 1157 bulb that I can buy to get me home? I like the infused LEDs, but I am OLD enough to know that a 100,000 hour guarantee is worthless to pay the tow bill and fine in bankrupt IL over a tail light.

I thank the Forum Administrators and Moderators for allowing this post to continue. I am just trying to sort out the question and really have no answers, just providing the options which seem to confuse an OLD MAN like me.

I would really like to see other forum members step up and provide better options.

PS, Tom, would like to meet you all and talk car shop someday. Isn't that what it is all about??

Last edited by R66; 07-11-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R66
Tom,

The bulb I tested is from the generosity of RJ1 (Ray) and his lovely bride. Would love to meet them someday.

I cannot attest to the exact P/N, however it is a RED LED and appears to be the one I quoted. You would have to PM RJ1 to get confirmation.

The LED manufacturers state that you should use a RED LED with the RED lens as any other color lens blocks the red light, back to 10th grade physics. I don't know. Other posts that I have read said a white LED was less bright with a red lens and provided an orange light with a red lens. I have not tried this, but could if you want to send a white LED.

The pics I posted are with the original red lens.

Then I got to thinkin' my wife hates that, and if the infused LED tail lights go out on a trip and the IL cops stop me for a tail light out, where am I going to buy a lens to go with the 1157 bulb that I can buy to get me home? I like the infused LEDs, but I am OLD enough to know that a 100,000 hour guarantee is worthless to pay the tow bill and fine in bankrupt IL over a tail light.

I thank the Forum Administrators and Moderators for allowing this post to continue. I am just trying to sort out the question and really have no answers, just providing the options which seem to confuse an OLD MAN like me.

I would really like to see other forum members step up and provide better options.

PS, Tom, would like to meet you all and talk car shop someday. Isn't that what it is all about??
Thanks Ron. Red bulbs it is.
I also wonder about what to you do if the LED light assy fails. We do long trips in the car and serviceability is a valid concern. That's another reason I prefer the LED bulb solution over the assys.

We just came through IL a few weeks ago on the Power Tour. Oh well. We plan to do a Rt 66 run next year. I'll save you to my "visit" list. See you then!

Tom
Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Depending on the bulb orientation, it's hard to beat the projector LED bulbs for brightness. As long as the bulb actually points in the direction of the light as they do in our taillights, they're fantastic.
The following users liked this post:
R66 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Thanks Ron. Red bulbs it is.
I also wonder about what to you do if the LED light assy fails. We do long trips in the car and serviceability is a valid concern. That's another reason I prefer the LED bulb solution over the assys.

We just came through IL a few weeks ago on the Power Tour. Oh well. We plan to do a Rt 66 run next year. I'll save you to my "visit" list. See you then!

Tom
Sorry I missed you on the power tour. We went to Mount Zion, IL to watch the cruise from Champaign and may have seen you, but only saw one C2. PLEASE put us on your list.

If you do the RT66 tour, please PM me and I'll give you my number. We have plenty of space (5 bedrooms) for you all for a lunch break or overnight during your Rt 66 tour. Will even move the wife's Furrin' car out of the garage to accommodate your car. She is a car girl and loves car girls and car guy's girls.

Please, if you find a better LED product, post it for others to compare and find the best product for all of us. It is about safety too.

Ron and Mary - R66

Get notified of new replies

To Let there be light - but which one bulb or lens

Quick Reply: Let there be light - but which one bulb or lens