C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlight Bucket Problem Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Headlight Bucket Problem Need Help?

1965 Corvette driver side bucket when close has a good 2 inches of play in it. The bucket won't open unless I push down on it a little and then it will open It will close fine but won't reopen unless you push down on it. When it is close you can rotate it to the open side about two inches until it gets tight?

Any Ideas???
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The headlight motor can be removed with ease. Its a hairpin clip, a small bolt and an electrical connector. Once removed you can operate the bucket by hand. A flip with two fingers should fully open or close it; if so you're already ahead because the headlight motor needs overhauled.

Gummed up lubricant but more likely the big main gear galled....easy to fix...
The following users liked this post:
Corvette ED (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The headlight motor can be removed with ease. Its a hairpin clip, a small bolt and an electrical connector. Once removed you can operate the bucket by hand. A flip with two fingers should fully open or close it; if so you're already ahead because the headlight motor needs overhauled.

Gummed up lubricant but more likely the big main gear galled....easy to fix...
I had the motor on and off 10 times today. All the stops are adjusted the bucket lines up good. When I install the motor back on the shaft the bucket will move to the open position about an inch before it gets tight. So you think the problem is in the motor?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I had the motor on and off 10 times today. All the stops are adjusted the bucket lines up good. When I install the motor back on the shaft the bucket will move to the open position about an inch before it gets tight. So you think the problem is in the motor?
Yes. The main gear is stripped.

Last edited by mike coletta; 07-24-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Corvette ED (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I agree. The fact that you can push on the bucket a bit and it will start to move most likely means that you are forcing the motor onto a sound gear tooth and so it takes off...

Here are the rebuild instructions and the repro parts are quite good now. I've done...hmmm..4 or 5 rebuilds now and they all came out perfectly..

Do not do the 180* flip of the main gear as the instructions state...that's a crap shoot that you'll get engagement past the galled gears. Buy a new main gear...

Do both motors...as having them operate unevenly is a major factor in the gear getting munged up...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Headlight_Motor_Rebuild.pdf (864.2 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Corvette ED (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree. The fact that you can push on the bucket a bit and it will start to move most likely means that you are forcing the motor onto a sound gear tooth and so it takes off...

Here are the rebuild instructions and the repro parts are quite good now. I've done...hmmm..4 or 5 rebuilds now and they all came out perfectly..

Do not do the 180* flip of the main gear as the instructions state...that's a crap shoot that you'll get engagement past the galled gears. Buy a new main gear...

Do both motors...as having them operate unevenly is a major factor in the gear getting munged up...
I agree with everything said above, I also understand everything being said except frankie's last sentence.

"Do both motors...as having them operate unevenly is a major factor in the gear getting munged up..."

Why? The motor stops as soon as it's reached the Y stop end right, how are the two headlights intensifying the wear on eachother, when one runs bad?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
I agree with everything said above, I also understand everything being said except frankie's last sentence.

"Do both motors...as having them operate unevenly is a major factor in the gear getting munged up..."

Why? The motor stops as soon as it's reached the Y stop end right, how are the two headlights intensifying the wear on eachother, when one runs bad?
Here is my theory - in which case the race does NOT go to the swift!

There are no electrical limit switches on the motors...the so-called limit switches just light that sexy dash LIGHTS warning bulb...

The faster one will come up (or down) and grind away waiting for its slow-poke brother eventually galling its main gear until the driver lets up on the dash switch.

You can add true electrical limiting micro-switches (there is a Youtube video on the process) but that's its own PITA...

The other reason is that the internal lube turns to clay and the motor has to drive hard enough to operate to start chewing away at that pot metal main gear...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2017 at 05:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Corvette ED (07-24-2017), Twan Sloot (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Not trying to hijack the thread but one small question remains, just to confirm: at the point both headlight buckets are completely down and I would put the dash switch down as well, it's just eating gears? There is nothing inside the motor telling to stop grinding? Not the best GM engineering

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 07-24-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you want to a test then check for 12V at the headlight motor connectors while somebody holds the switch down after the other motor has reached full transition. I've never done it but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts there is voltage there...

I wouldn't say the motors continue to 'grind' but over decades the wearing on the gear starts to worsen.. This is my theory.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-24-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

That's one things like the Detroit Speed electronic conversion were developed; they have 'current sensing' to stop the motors when they hit the stops...

If you want to a test then check for 12V at the headlight motor connectors while somebody holds the switch down after the other motor has reached full transition. I've never done it but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts there is voltage there...
I am sure there is voltage there because when I press the switch down while the buckets are down too, (so no movement) you can see the courtesy light in the interior slightly dim.

So we can conclude it's just eating gears when holding down with buckets reached stop

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 07-24-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I am sure there is voltage there because when I press the switch down while the buckets are down too, (so no movement) you can see the courtesy light in the interior slightly dim.

So we can conclude it's just eating gears when holding down with buckets reached stop
Here is the video for adding true limit switches -- that part starts about 1/2 way through:

Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Thanks Frankie, already saw that video some time ago but at the moment I saw the guy drilling in the alu, I'm out, not especially because he is drilling in an original part but I was thinking "how on earth can you get a power drill behind there
Old 07-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I can rebuild a set of motors on a Saturday morning, its really not a monumental deal whatsoever..
Old 07-24-2017, 07:25 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

I can rebuild a set of motors on a Saturday morning, its really not a monumental deal whatsoever..
No sliding the motors off is easy done that a week ago to align my bucket, rebuilding them I don't know haven't done that yet but if you say so

Now I should stop hijacking this thread sorry
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

No sliding the motors off is easy done that a week ago to align my bucket, rebuilding them I don't know haven't done that yet but if you say so

Now I should stop hijacking this thread sorry
Ha!

As the old saying about bricklaying; after the first one, the rest are 'experience'...
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Update,

Took motor apart and found the gear worn bad. Replaced it and everything is good. Thank you to everybody who helped me.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Bucket Problem Need Help?

Quick Reply: Headlight Bucket Problem Need Help?