C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Headlight & ammeter quit working on same-day.. Coincidence or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 AM
eblood
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight & ammeter quit working on same-day.. Coincidence or not?

Hi guys,

few days ago, my passenger headlamp (stuck in open position) and the ammeter quit working on the same day..

Do you thing is pure coincidence or these two issues are related?

The ammeter is stuck doest move at all, needle is all left, below zero.

Thank you.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It's not an ammeter, but it should not be related to the headlights unless the headlight's motor drew enough current and produced enough voltage drop at the horn relay connection to peg the battery gauge to the negative side and it stuck. If it stays left with key off, I'd try gently tapping on the back of the gauge on the housing, not the connector. If it goes back to center with key off, post back and I'll give you some more ideas.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-26-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:29 AM
eblood
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It's not an ammeter, but it should not be related to the headlights unless the headlight's motor drew enough current and produced enough voltage drop at the horn relay connection to peg the battery gauge to the negative side and it stuck. If it stays left with key off, I'd try gently tapping on the back of the gauge on the housing, not the connector. If it goes back to center with key off, post back and I'll give you some more ideas.
Thank you. I will try to play as you mentioned and test the gauge with a AA battery this afternoon.. I hope the gauge is not dead.

Last edited by eblood; 07-27-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 AM
eblood
Advanced

Originally Posted by hedgehead
No prom'.. Good to see it with the morning coffee
Old 08-01-2017, 02:43 PM
eblood
Advanced

Hi.

Play a bit under the dash and I think find out what is going wrong.. This Condensator was not anymore attached to the wire.. Do you think is the cause?

Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM
eblood
Advanced

Sorry I'm talking about battery gauge failure.. Not headlight
Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

The condensor failure itself will not cause a problem. It's just a noise suppressor for am radio. But, if it pulled off one of the other two leads on the battery gauge, it would not move as you said, but shouldn't be stuck left. Movement may have pegged there and is stuck. You don't really need the condensor in the car.
I'd still try connecting the 1.5v aa or aaa battery across the two lugs on the battery gauge MOMENTARILY to see if the gauge moves. One direction of polarity should move it back to the right and it may work after that with wires all connected.
A possiblity, but not likely, when the condensor came loose it shorted one of the wires to ground and that could easily fry the gauge with 12v flowing current to ground. It's a very sensitive meter and will swing full scale with the aa battery.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-01-2017 at 03:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eblood (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:20 AM
eblood
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The condensor failure itself will not cause a problem. It's just a noise suppressor for am radio. But, if it pulled off one of the other two leads on the battery gauge, it would not move as you said, but shouldn't be stuck left. Movement may have pegged there and is stuck. You don't really need the condensor in the car.
I'd still try connecting the 1.5v aa or aaa battery across the two lugs on the battery gauge MOMENTARILY to see if the gauge moves. One direction of polarity should move it back to the right and it may work after that with wires all connected.
A possiblity, but not likely, when the condensor came loose it shorted one of the wires to ground and that could easily fry the gauge with 12v flowing current to ground. It's a very sensitive meter and will swing full scale with the aa battery.
Thank you for your time.. Actually I think gauge works because by pulling off the pin behing the gauge , cleaning them and put it back it works for a while. The needle was between the middle and the full right. Activate turn signal triggered a small move to the left so I guess everything was ok. I turn on the engine and it stops again working.

PS ; I ve tested the voltage on the two pins going into the gauges and the figures were very small.. less than 12V (something like 0.02 Volts) , is it normal ?

Thank you have a nice day

Last edited by eblood; 08-02-2017 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM
eblood
Advanced

Hi I have tested gauge.. Not very satisfying. With an AAA battery, it makes a small move of 1mm.. See the video below. I 've plugged a voltmeter onto the wires entering into the gauge and we see a difference of voltage when I'm activating accessories. Shall I need to change the gauge? Do you think its easy to fix if the gauge is broken ?

Last edited by eblood; 08-04-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: ommission
Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM
eblood
Advanced

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight & ammeter quit working on same-day.. Coincidence or not?

Quick Reply: [C2] Headlight & ammeter quit working on same-day.. Coincidence or not?