C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 454 developed sudden loud hammering sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:57 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Pull the plug wires one at a time and see if the knock softens.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:02 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgehead
Pull the plug wires one at a time and see if the knock softens.
I wouldn't run the motor given everything I've heard. Some great advice thus far. Good luck, I hope it's not a bearing.

Ed
Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 PM
DJH
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No bent spark plug electrodes. I carefully cut the oil filter open using shears to avoid making my own metal fragments and checked the filter media. No apparent sparkles or observable metal pieces. I purchased a higher quality endoscope and and found nothing abnormal in the cylinders. Drained the pan and the oil was already a bit dark (not black) and looked like it might have metal flakes in it but if so they were the size of dust particles. My honey is pushing me to finish 3 major projects on house and land before the rains start in October so I'm working only in the evenings on the Vette. Every one of you guys have given me thoughtful and insightful suggestions which I much appreciate. Question: If a piece of RTV made it passed the filter and lodged in an oil passage how will I ever determine that happened or even find it without pulling the engine and field stripping it and/or running a rifle brush though the lines?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would doubt that silicone would cause any issues.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:17 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

I have seen Silicon sealer destroy a few caterpillar engines.
a blocked port by a bead of silicon can have catastrophic results.

The trend to use silicon on the front and rear of BB manifolds these days, could cause problems.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by DJH
No bent spark plug electrodes. I carefully cut the oil filter open using shears to avoid making my own metal fragments and checked the filter media. No apparent sparkles or observable metal pieces. I purchased a higher quality endoscope and and found nothing abnormal in the cylinders. Drained the pan and the oil was already a bit dark (not black) and looked like it might have metal flakes in it but if so they were the size of dust particles. My honey is pushing me to finish 3 major projects on house and land before the rains start in October so I'm working only in the evenings on the Vette. Every one of you guys have given me thoughtful and insightful suggestions which I much appreciate. Question: If a piece of RTV made it passed the filter and lodged in an oil passage how will I ever determine that happened or even find it without pulling the engine and field stripping it and/or running a rifle brush though the lines?
Short answer, you won't. But it's not likely silicon made it past the filter - unless it was installed downstream of the filter originally.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Fine metallic particles are normal. For silicone to be an issue it would have to be pretty good size. A piece big enough to cause problems wouldn't go through the pickup screen on the pump. I'm not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely. One more thing to try is push the crank to the rear then lightly pry it forward from the rear of the balancer. It should move no more than .015". You will be checking to make sure the thrust bearing isn't worn out. The lack of metal or cylinder damage is at least good. Have you gone through each valve to make sure none backed off?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM
DJH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robert61
Fine metallic particles are normal. For silicone to be an issue it would have to be pretty good size. A piece big enough to cause problems wouldn't go through the pickup screen on the pump. I'm not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely. One more thing to try is push the crank to the rear then lightly pry it forward from the rear of the balancer. It should move no more than .015". You will be checking to make sure the thrust bearing isn't worn out. The lack of metal or cylinder damage is at least good. Have you gone through each valve to make sure none backed off?

The lifters are hydraulic but I checked for collapsed or broken plus bent push rods or valve spring issues and found none. When the tappets are on the heal of the cam each rocker has a slight amount of pressure which leads me to the conclusion the hydraulic lifters are okay. The trunnions on the roller rockers appear intact as well. I'm pulling the pan to have a look at the bottom end and if I find nothing I will pull the heads to look further. Odd problem and even more so on what caused it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:05 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I had neglected to put the block spacer on a Lakewood bellhousing on a race motor a bunch of years ago, and upon taking the Doug Nash out of the car to repair a bad synchro hub, I heard a loud THUNK! I had completely wiped out the rear thrust to the point that the rear flywheel bolts were within 1/16" of catching on the block surface. Completely silent
Old 08-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

A spun rod brg will leave a lot of copper in your oil and oil pan. Spun bearings usually continue to get louder the longer you run.
If you are running aluminum bearings they will Gaul to your crankshaft bearing surface in failure but not put much in the pan.
Both failures normally happen do to oil starvation.
I have seen an oil screen on the pick up tube 75% plugged by a builder that overdosed with silicone and many chunks got into the oil system.
On cold start up most Chevy pick up screens flex open and unfiltered oil is pumped through the engine. As the oil warms the by pass closes and you get filtered oil.
That is how chunks flow to cause you issues.
I have seen a piston hydro lock where it slightly bent a connecting rod. Enough that the piston hit my head with every revolution. Left a small dent on one side of the piston and a small shiny spot in the head. Engine ran perfect other than the knock. Leaking fuel or coolant can cause hydro lock.
I would pull the heads first. That repair can be done in the car.
If the problem does not show up there you will be removing the engine to repair crank and rod damage.
Not a bad idea to check the thrust bearing clearance front to back movement as that could potentially be repaired in the car and I have seen some make knocking noises.
Is this an automatic car? Turbo 400's are known to balloon and pressure the thrust.
If it's a 4 speed did you recently work on the clutch?

Last edited by Westlotorn; 08-09-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 PM
ToolMaker427
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thinking about this I remembered an incident from the 80s. I was supervising a shop where we built 40 performance motors a week. All of the sudden a pattern developed where big blocks were crashing intake valves. We had a book with serial numbers to track who built each engine. I quickly figured out all of the motors, 9 in total, were built by the same guy. I grabbed a timing chain set went to his assembly area and laid it on the bench. I said now show me how you are timing your engines. The timing sets were the three key way sets that have been used forever. He goes about showing me how he's doing it. I watched him and I said that is what I was afraid of. He had installed everyone of them with the cam three teeth advanced. Some only bent the valves, some had not been cranked and we were able to do the easy fix, and one dropped a valve and destroyed the engine. Are you certain one that is timed right and two you had enough piston to valve clearance. When you say you installed a cam with milder manners I assume that means smaller and therefore should have more clearance. But if it's not timed correctly you could have trouble.
I had a "friend" install my new timing chain and cam while I was at work. I think I still have the broken valve top in my tool box!
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thinking about this I remembered an incident from the 80s. I was supervising a shop where we built 40 performance motors a week. All of the sudden a pattern developed where big blocks were crashing intake valves. We had a book with serial numbers to track who built each engine. I quickly figured out all of the motors, 9 in total, were built by the same guy. I grabbed a timing chain set went to his assembly area and laid it on the bench. I said now show me how you are timing your engines. The timing sets were the three key way sets that have been used forever. He goes about showing me how he's doing it. I watched him and I said that is what I was afraid of. He had installed everyone of them with the cam three teeth advanced. Some only bent the valves, some had not been cranked and we were able to do the easy fix, and one dropped a valve and destroyed the engine. Are you certain one that is timed right and two you had enough piston to valve clearance. When you say you installed a cam with milder manners I assume that means smaller and therefore should have more clearance. But if it's not timed correctly you could have trouble.
i had something kinda/sorta similar happen. I had a big block race motor built by a VERY well known NHRA class racer who also built race engines. From day one, i had problems with bent valves. Short version of the story is that the cam was GROUND exactly ine tooth off! He should have caught that when he degeed the cam in, but he didnt It wound up being very frustrating and expensive. Probably doesn't happen often, but it does occasionally.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I hope the OP lets us know what it was once he finds out.
The following users liked this post:
Stan's Customs (08-15-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:33 AM
DJH
Instructor

Guys I'm not ignoring all your helpful ideas/suggestions, I'm just deep into getting water and electric service run to my new shop plus some concrete projects I promised by better half would be done before the rains start.
I did a compression test and all 8 cylinders are at 225 lbs (+/- 5 lbs).
I removed the pan and there is no evidence of RTV in the pump screen or the filter. I tried to move each of the rods perpendicular to the crank throws and felt no movement. With a fair amount of effort they will move side to side but minimally...maybe .010" or so and they're all about the same. I'm down to pulling rod bearing caps just to look see anyway but I do not think it's a rod. I'm hoping for some more free time so I can get a small jack under the crank to take up the weight so I can check for any main bearing movement. There are no broken skirts or metal pieces of any sort in the pan. What the heck could make such an enormous hammering sound and still have the engine run is still the mystery.
Any quick ways to check main bearings other than lifting up the weight of the crank/rods/pistons to measure play? Thanks and please don't give up on me I just have other irons in the fire at the same time. Cheers.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 AM
DJH
Instructor

I should also state there is very minimal front/rear movement of the crank so I think the thrust bearing surface is intact.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 AM
DJH
Instructor

Can anyone describe just how loose a rod bearing should feel to make a solid and loud hammering sound? I can pry the rods minimally front to rear using a large screwdriver but none at all lateral to the crank throws.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:53 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

If you had enough lateral rod clearance at the crank to cause noise I believe it would be very apparent. I have a Mopar that probably has close to .10 inch and it's pretty quiet. Better to be a little large than too tight. I would keep looking.

Have you checked to make sure your pressure plate bolts are not coming through the forward side of the flywheel and hitting the block?

Last edited by DansYellow66; 08-16-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 454 developed sudden loud hammering sound

Old 08-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I am reminded of a situation that happened to me. I replaced the heads on our car, and at startup there was a loud racket coming from one side of the engine. Wife said, "That sounds like s**t". I was so glad she told me that.
Anyway, while replacing the heads, a 9/16 wrench had slipped down into the top of the open side pipe and was making a LOUD racket in there when the engine was running.

You didn't say anything about disconnecting your exhaust, so that can't be the problem though.

Gerry
Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
I am reminded of a situation that happened to me. I replaced the heads on our car, and at startup there was a loud racket coming from one side of the engine. Wife said, "That sounds like s**t". I was so glad she told me that.
Anyway, while replacing the heads, a 9/16 wrench had slipped down into the top of the open side pipe and was making a LOUD racket in there when the engine was running.

You didn't say anything about disconnecting your exhaust, so that can't be the problem though.

Gerry
That thought occurred to me also although it would seem like something I would check into immediately. If an undercar pipe is not centered in the transmission cross member openings, or a sidepipe is too close to the underside of the frame and rotating up into it - it would raise a racket.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 08-16-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM
65BotaHam
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

A little side to side play in the rod bearings on the crank is ok. As Dan stated, you would easily find the spun rod bearing. Everyone that I've seen, you can move the rod the thickness of the bearing, or one side of the bearing, up and down on the crank with your fingers. Visually inspect it as well.

When you did the compression check, I assume you had all the plugs out and spun the engine. No noise? Maybe that's a clue. I like the thought about the flywheel, but also check the harmonic balancer. It appears as though you have eliminated a lot of the serious issues so hopefully it'll be something simple.

Why do these things always happen when we have major projects happening around the house? I feel your pain there.

Quick Reply: [C2] 454 developed sudden loud hammering sound