C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 65 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 06:24 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by prohovie
RatDog,
Just looking thru some old threads about seatbelts and came across your pics.
Great idea on the headrest add and 3 point seat belts. Just wondering if GM had provisioned any mounting points for the retractor way back then or do I have to weld a plate in place with a mounting nut? Hate to have to start welding on a completed restoration. (hindsight.....). Also, can I ask where you obtained your headrests?
Thanking you in advance.....Pat
Hey Pat - I believe GM began adding the seat belt mounting plates in March or April 1966. If your car doesn’t have them, the mounting plates come with the 3-point conversion kits. No welding required. The plates go up in the wheel well and are held tight against the backside of the fiberglass by the seatbelt attachment bolt on the inside of the car.

I bought my headrests and headrest mounting hardware from Al Knoch. They are quite pricey but I was thinking of the safety factor so I opened my wallet wide. You will have welding to do with the mounting brackets on your seat back frames.

My understanding is that, even though you could get leather or vinyl seats back in the day, you could only get vinyl headrests. Al has both. I got leather because I was changing my seats over to leather from vinyl so my car was leaving the realm of originality anyway.

Steve

Quick Reply: [C2] 65 Vette