C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

new to C1/C2 - in search of general advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM
david350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new to C1/C2 - in search of general advice

Hi friends,

I've been out of the vette world for a number of years. I'm looking to jump back in with an oldie. I'm thinking a C2 is where it is at.

I don't really know much about them, so I am looking to be educated. General questions like what is THE ONE to own? What should I be looking for spec wise? What are some of the things to watch out for and absolutely avoid?

Is there a primer somewhere that I should read up on?

Also prices on these things are absolutely all over the place and have no idea how they are "valued". For example, I came across a couple of original 64-65' un-restored, matching #'s, complete cars in running condition the low 30's. Is this typical?

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 10-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Midyearcrisis
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by david350
Hi friends,

I've been out of the vette world for a number of years. I'm looking to jump back in with an oldie. I'm thinking a C2 is where it is at.

I don't really know much about them, so I am looking to be educated. General questions like what is THE ONE to own? What should I be looking for spec wise? What are some of the things to watch out for and absolutely avoid?

Is there a primer somewhere that I should read up on?

Also prices on these things are absolutely all over the place and have no idea how they are "valued". For example, I came across a couple of original 64-65' un-restored, matching #'s, complete cars in running condition the low 30's. Is this typical?

Thanks in advance,
David
Here's a good starting place. Noland Adams volume 1 C1 and volume 2 C2 (below)
As for your general questions: the obvious answers are, the "ONE" to own will vary on responses but a SWC, or Big Block 67 will be thrown out there. I guess it comes down to what you want and want to spend? Absolutely avoid rust on the frame and birdcage. Anything with missing or altered vin and trim tags as well. You are certainly in the right ballpark reading the forum. I researched for years before finding my car. Read everything I could get my hands on but really gleaned a ton of info from the knowledge right here, and I am grateful! This forum is akin to corvette college, to me.
All things being equal, a numbers matching mid year, with no frame or cage rust, no tampered tags, and complete running cars sound like solid deals on the surface. Have somebody with knowledge check out whatever you buy. Best of luck!

Last edited by Midyearcrisis; 10-16-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

This is a well covered subject, but a very critical one. Your personal taste, your pocketbook, and plenty of patience will reward you with a car. Why do you want a C-2 and in what body style? The most practicle is a small block. Easy to work on and very driveable. Can you maintain the car yourself? Good luck! Dennis
The following users liked this post:
david350 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I would say the best thing for you to do before buying a C2 or C1 Corvette is read up on them, have an idea what you are wanting coupe or convertible, have a good idea of how much you was willing to spend and most important would be take a Corvette person who know these cars and what to look for on them. You may very well have to pay that person but it could be a lot cheaper then you buying something and not knowing it what you bought is good or bad, real or not real and a deal or not a deal. First find a car you like in the price you want to pay and then get some one who knows these cars to go with you and inspect it for you. I am sure there are Corvette Clubs in San Diego that you could contact and find a person who knows these car. Because it sounds like you do not know them well enough to just go out and buy one and say you got a good deal.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 10-16-2017 at 04:31 PM.
david350 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Milliamp
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Also to look for

check out the title, if it has a letter on it it can mean salvage or repair. Also watch out for all the flood damaged cars that will be coming on line or on the lots, check everything out and good luck

Tom
david350 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

The first thing is to make sure that it's a C2 that you really want. I made a deal on a Pantera years ago, drove down to get it and then ... I sat in it. I didn't fit. Find a coupe and a roadster at a show and explain to the owner (most of these Sting Ray type folk are pretty decent and friendly) that you are looking at purchasing one and ask if they will let you sit in it and hell, maybe they'll even take you for a ride. You may feel claustrophobic in a coupe or you may feel that it's the coolest thing on earth. You may find that the header on a roadster's windshield is directly in your line of sight or that you have discovered a new freedom. Or you might find that gigantic steering wheel and low seating position has no chance of ever feeling comfortable. And the noise ... Ugh !

Ray (we all do seriously wish you the best )
Old 10-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

I came to the C1/C2 side from my C6 time on that forum, and spent a lot of time lurking and asking stupid questions here in parallel with hunting for mine.

It took me about three years to find mine, more than most would put up with, but I had a lot to learn and was not in a hurry. I wanted to find the right one which I intended to keep forever.

You will get dozens if not hundreds of opinions here if you're actually interested in mining them all. Like all opinions, they're worth about what you paid for them.

My main points of advice:

Don't spend more than you can afford to lose. These are not good financial investments. Some one here said it better - It is an investment in personal enjoyment.

Do your homework, drive several, and remember due diligence. A single missing piece can be several hundred dollars. A defective major component can render the car more expensive to repair than it is worth (see: birdcage).

Get an expert opinion before you spend several thousand dollars, as you would with anything worth as much.

Don't concern yourself other's opinions, wants, or needs, unless they are willing to pay for the differences.

I would also advise you to be open to the surprise "falling in love" possibility with an example that's not on your must have listing. I wanted a Daytona Blue coupe and fell in love with my red/red L76 '65. It's like saying you have to be with a blond and falling for a brunette that you didn't see coming.

Enjoy the hunt process. You'll see some neat cars and meet some neat people.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 10-16-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:09 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

First thing I would do is drive a C2!! When was the last time you drove a 50 year old car? What do you drive now versus what you expect the C2 to drive and ride like.
Once you determine if a C2 works for you and is what you expected it would be like. Start your search. Find a car you like (color options price) and post it here for feedback. As previous posters have said I would strongly suggest a PPI by a qualified Corvette C2 expert.
I you want a turn key buy drive and enjoy C2 it will not be the $30,000 unrestored cars you mention. Check E Bay just to start and compare. See what hits your eye.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:46 PM
david350
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJ1
First thing I would do is drive a C2!! When was the last time you drove a 50 year old car? What do you drive now versus what you expect the C2 to drive and ride like.
Once you determine if a C2 works for you and is what you expected it would be like. Start your search. Find a car you like (color options price) and post it here for feedback. As previous posters have said I would strongly suggest a PPI by a qualified Corvette C2 expert.
I you want a turn key buy drive and enjoy C2 it will not be the $30,000 unrestored cars you mention. Check E Bay just to start and compare. See what hits your eye.
I expect it to drive like a beefy go cart. The last 50 year old car I drove was a 63 Austin Healey. I'm just trying to avoid picking up a basket case. At the same time I dont have 100k to drop on a mint car. Looking for something that I can tool around in while I gradually restore it.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM
david350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midyearcrisis
Here's a good starting place. Noland Adams volume 1 C1 and volume 2 C2 (below)
As for your general questions: the obvious answers are, the "ONE" to own will vary on responses but a SWC, or Big Block 67 will be thrown out there. I guess it comes down to what you want and want to spend? Absolutely avoid rust on the frame and birdcage. Anything with missing or altered vin and trim tags as well. You are certainly in the right ballpark reading the forum. I researched for years before finding my car. Read everything I could get my hands on but really gleaned a ton of info from the knowledge right here, and I am grateful! This forum is akin to corvette college, to me.
All things being equal, a numbers matching mid year, with no frame or cage rust, no tampered tags, and complete running cars sound like solid deals on the surface. Have somebody with knowledge check out whatever you buy. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tip. Scrolled through the first few pages on Amazon, looks like an excellent resource!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM
david350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
I came to the C1/C2 side from my C6 time on that forum, and spent a lot of time lurking and asking stupid questions here in parallel with hunting for mine.

It took me about three years to find mine, more than most would put up with, but I had a lot to learn and was not in a hurry. I wanted to find the right one which I intended to keep forever.

You will get dozens if not hundreds of opinions here if you're actually interested in mining them all. Like all opinions, they're worth about what you paid for them.

My main points of advice:

Don't spend more than you can afford to lose. These are not good financial investments. Some one here said it better - It is an investment in personal enjoyment.

Do your homework, drive several, and remember due diligence. A single missing piece can be several hundred dollars. A defective major component can render the car more expensive to repair than it is worth (see: birdcage).

Get an expert opinion before you spend several thousand dollars, as you would with anything worth as much.

Don't concern yourself other's opinions, wants, or needs, unless they are willing to pay for the differences.

I would also advise you to be open to the surprise "falling in love" possibility with an example that's not on your must have listing. I wanted a Daytona Blue coupe and fell in love with my red/red L76 '65. It's like saying you have to be with a blond and falling for a brunette that you didn't see coming.

Enjoy the hunt process. You'll see some neat cars and meet some neat people.
Appreciate the advice... I am partial to the Dayton Blue too but am open to anything.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM
david350
Instructor

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
The first thing is to make sure that it's a C2 that you really want. I made a deal on a Pantera years ago, drove down to get it and then ... I sat in it. I didn't fit. Find a coupe and a roadster at a show and explain to the owner (most of these Sting Ray type folk are pretty decent and friendly) that you are looking at purchasing one and ask if they will let you sit in it and hell, maybe they'll even take you for a ride. You may feel claustrophobic in a coupe or you may feel that it's the coolest thing on earth. You may find that the header on a roadster's windshield is directly in your line of sight or that you have discovered a new freedom. Or you might find that gigantic steering wheel and low seating position has no chance of ever feeling comfortable. And the noise ... Ugh !

Ray (we all do seriously wish you the best )
this cracked me up, thanks for keeping it real
rayvaflav (02-03-2019)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Don't believe anything you read on the internet.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:00 PM
RJ1
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

I expect it to drive like a beefy go cart. The last 50 year old car I drove was a 63 Austin Healey. I'm just trying to avoid picking up a basket case. At the same time I dont have 100k to drop on a mint car. Looking for something that I can tool around in while I gradually restore it.
You know what to expect and what your plan for a car would be.That helps a lot your good to go. All you need is the expert when you find the car you like to assure no basket case (rust). If it lived it's life in your area probably not rust problems. Good luck on your search.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM
david350
Instructor

what is everyone's opinion on something like this?

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicl...rolet-corvette

I saw the undercarriage pics and thought wow ok this car is toast but are folks buying cars in this state at this price?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

The frame shows rust but it's hard to say how bad. Price is low so maybe there are issues. Or maybe it's a great deal.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I saw the undercarriage pics and thought wow ok this car is toast but are folks buying cars in this state at this price?
If you are focused on the condition of the undercarriage now (which is sorta' horrible) as a "looker" it will haunt you as an "owner". There are lots of better cars out there, my search took me three years and $7K more than I planned on spending.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To new to C1/C2 - in search of general advice

Old 10-17-2017, 01:55 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

You're in the San Diego area. A great guy (honest to a fault) is John from GM Downunder north of you in Costa Mesa. If you have the time, give him a call. Make the drive to his place. He'll take you for test drives and give you the truth about the C1's and C2's and what to look for. No pressure, and always has some beautiful examples on hand. When you're ready to make a decision, even if it's not one of his cars for sale, he's an NCRS judge and will do an inspection for you for a nominal fee. John has an excellent reputation with both buyers and sellers.

Mention my name if you call so he'll know how you found out about him. I just bought my yellow '67 through John a month or so ago him and it came out a collection in the San Diego area.

http://www.gmdownunder.com/

I have Noland's C1 and C2 Restoration books and refer to them quite often. But as a person away for a while reading the part numbers and looking at factory photos and descriptions in Noland's books will only give you a headache. You need help from an expert to avoid the long list of "gotcha's" on these cars.

Last edited by Randy G.; 10-17-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

I actually like this car a lot at the starting asking price, which often means it can be had for up to 10% less, putting just over 30.

However, a survivor for low 30's makes me wonder what is wrong with it? Frame - okay if discounted and otherwise sound, perhaps. Bad birdcage? That's a whole different story.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Too much rust on the frame for me at any price.

Quick Reply: new to C1/C2 - in search of general advice