C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tall valve covers and PS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tall valve covers and PS?

hi, my ‘65 Vert 383 has tall valve covers and we like the look. However i would like power steering and the driver’s side valve cover gets in the way. Has anybody cut a portion of the cover to permit the installation of the power brake unit? Any other possibilities? Thanks
Old 10-28-2017, 02:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Your post is very confusing - are you talking about power steering (PS) or power brakes? Power steering has nothing to do with the valve covers.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:46 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Power Brakes ????

Big blocks with power brakes had the rear lower corner of the driver's side valve cover pressed down to clear the booster. Small blocks didn't need that, but if you have taller than normal valve covers, you might have to do something. The B/B covers did not have a squared off corner like your covers, and they evidently flattened easily. Flattening a squared off corner might take some ingenuity. I guess you could have a welder cut off the corner and weld a flat piece on, but then you would have to get it rechromed.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 10-28-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 637 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Downdraft
hi, my ‘65 Vert 383 has tall valve covers and we like the look. However i would like power steering and the driver’s side valve cover gets in the way. Has anybody cut a portion of the cover to permit the installation of the power brake unit? Any other possibilities? Thanks
That's a very handsome engine and I can see why you would want to retain the valve covers. Assuming that you are talking about power brakes and not power steering, you have a couple options:

1) You can convert to different valve covers that are stock height or at least just a bit taller than stock. If your 383 has roller rockers, some people will tell you that you need tall valve covers, but that is not quite correct. Roller rockers will clear stock valve covers just fine, but the Polylocks used to adjust them need to be carefully selected to clear the valve covers. I have more info on this if you are interested.

2) I have seen various resto-mod builds where a non-stock power brake booster was used that provided better valve cover clearance than the stock C2 booster. Unfortunately, I can not recall what brands ot models were used. However, with some research you could probably find one that would clear your existing valve covers.

I'd be inclined to stick with a stock power brake booster and use Option 1 to fit valve covers that are not as tall. Overall I think this would be easier than trying to retrofit a non-stock power brake booster.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:06 AM
Cautrell05
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Just FYI, the one from SSBC doesn't fit unless you are leaving the hood off.

The extra length of the double booster pushes the master cylinder up into the hood. Lots of valve cover clearance though.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

As the vehicle is not NCRS....did you consider converting it to hydroboost?
Much smaller unit than the big power booster.

I am sure others have done that mod.
Do a search for hydroboost in C1 & 2 Tech Section.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I meant to write power brakes. Thanks for all your suggestions, i will now study and decide. What a great forum!

Get notified of new replies

To Tall valve covers and PS?

Quick Reply: Tall valve covers and PS?