C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thinking of a sea container

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Thinking of a sea container

Anyone here using one? Any complaints about owning one?

I have two car garage with a 8' ceiling so no room for a lift. I have an F-150 extra cab, 1957 Corvette, RZR 900 2 seater, 1966 Charger and a HD Road King. I have a large lot and I am thinking of buying a 40' sea container to keep everything under cover and secure.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

My brother bought one about a month ago. He closed his Paint and Body shop and he needed storage space. He's got about 100 bicycles and pedal cars in his plus some shop supplies.

He's thinking about buying another one. I think it was $1,700 delivered, his is 53 feet.

Last edited by randy ransome; 11-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:24 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by randy ransome
My brother bought one about a month ago. He closed his Paint and Body shop and he needed storage space. He's got about 100 bicycles and pedal cars in his plus some shop supplies.

He's thinking about buying another one. I think it was $1,700 delivered, his is 53 feet.

That is a great price. Do you know where he got it?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought one a year ago. Put it right next to my shop. Very cheap storage. Everything stays dry. I don't put cars in it just parts but works great.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 AM
Jan25
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I was about to raise the possible issue of condensation... then I noticed that you are in Arizona!
In the middle of the Arizona summer, I would be worried about heat. You may want to protect it from direct sun exposure...?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Check with local zoning laws.

They are very secure and if you disconnect the batteries there is little risk of fire as long as you keep the brush and grass cleared around and from under them.

They are very tight so there is little problem with condensation.

If you buy more than one, space them out so that any fire can not spread to the other.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

We have a 20' sea land container that I store parts in. I insulated it with 2" foam to minimize the thermal heating in the summer. It does not have heat nor A/C, thus the condensation on parts does occur and promotes rusting. It is ventilated with two small screened openings.
It is great for excluding rodents even though it has a wooden floor.
I wouldn't put anything with acid (batteries) nor gasoline in it for the summer as it still gets rather hot without power ventilation.
Don't plan on moving it around unless you have a crane or a roll off with a 7 ton capacity. They are heavy empty and get heavier quick.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan25
I was about to raise the possible issue of condensation... then I noticed that you are in Arizona!
In the middle of the Arizona summer, I would be worried about heat. You may want to protect it from direct sun exposure...?
For sure..closed cell foam insulation is what many do here in Texas.
It makes a huge difference...they are an oven otherwise (no exageration!!).
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM
ragtop00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd check on your car every few months... This one spent 3 years in a shipping container. It must have had a leak?!
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 PM
dtortoise9
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Container

Make sure you have some sort of temperature regulation in it-air vents will do. I know of a guy who had a very expensive 300sl in one and the variation in the range of temperature/humidity inside the container caused his show car paint to bubble.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:22 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I have co-workers who have them. Central valley in CA, very hot and arid. The 'trick' set-up seems to be putting two 16-20 feet apart, and laying a roof over the opening, creating an outdoor carport/work area in the shade. They have their containers on pea gravel, all prepped. Strong, secure, dry, and HOT storage for years and years. I'd shade the container and or insulate it and vent it. As stated above. In AZ, a very logical solution to car and part storage problems. Pretty much rodent free, too.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

QUOTE,

"For sure..closed cell foam insulation is what many do here in Texas.
It makes a huge difference...they are an oven otherwise (no exaggeration!!)."

UPS once sprayer foam on the inside of a container that the mechanics keep their tool in.

I cut off a sliver of foam and showed the mechanics what happens if you touch a match to it.

If you hold it level, the flame will travel slowly from one end to the other. When you hold it vertical, the flame bunns up just about as fast as gasoline.

They didn't have them there very long!

Building codes require that it must be covered with sheet rock.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

If appearance is not a concern, cut in a home window AC and leave it running for dehumidification, and paint it a reflective silver color.

At the major US shipping ports, these containers are in such surplus, that they are cheap as heck. There are forests of them stacked 7-10 high around here.

Last I checked, these are cheaper to manufacture overseas than to ship empty ones back from here to there. The sales cost of the leftovers is a function of the value of the scrap metal, and the costs to store them and deliver them to you. I think they're around $1500-ish here, but that is an outdated WAG.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I have co-workers who have them. Central valley in CA, very hot and arid. The 'trick' set-up seems to be putting two 16-20 feet apart, and laying a roof over the opening, creating an outdoor carport/work area in the shade. They have their containers on pea gravel, all prepped. Strong, secure, dry, and HOT storage for years and years. I'd shade the container and or insulate it and vent it. As stated above. In AZ, a very logical solution to car and part storage problems. Pretty much rodent free, too.
Must look really nice. Bet the neighbors like it. Like others say check zoning laws first. In my town you can't have an RV unless it is garaged - and not in a flimsy fabric unit, needs a real garage.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Got only one left and have 2 I/2 cars in it for the last 20 years. Air tight and no problems EVER. Temps get triple in the hundreds here and no problems.

Dom
Old 11-22-2017, 02:28 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Yeah, I have had cars stored in the typical AZ. mini storage units with uninsulated metal roof, walls, cement floors with roll up doors that don't seal nearly as well as a sea container. I had my 1966 Hemi car in one for 3 years with triple digit temps. with no problems.

However no matter what I buy I will probably insulate the ceiling as that is where the vast majority of the heat gain comes from.

I am going to look at some "containers" in Phoenix Friday that are actually semi trailer boxes that a company cuts down to various sizes. They are 16 gauge steel with wood floors, plywood liners and roll up doors. I will let everyone know what they are like and prices after I inspect them.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:10 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Please paint the thing some neutral color and be sure it doesn't have MAERSK or such still visible so you don't look like trailer trash.

Install one or two whirly vents on top.

Put some corresponding louvered and screened ( 1/8" hardware cloth plus window screen) vents in near the bottom so you get an airflow. You may wish to make removable or hinged inside covers for the lower vents. It will get hot as hell in there without them

I have one on some property up near Snowflake, hidden in the trees and painted forest green, with a ramp made of ABC and 12" square pavers from Home depot. It works for storing ATVs and such. If possible get a lock shield made out of heavy wall square tubing for the main door throw bolt.

I bought mine from a container place in PHX and they painted it and hauled it to Snowflake for $2500, about 12 years ago

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of a sea container

Old 11-22-2017, 11:41 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Please paint the thing some neutral color and be sure it doesn't have MAERSK or such still visible so you don't look like trailer trash.

Install one or two whirly vents on top.

Put some corresponding louvered and screened ( 1/8" hardware cloth plus window screen) vents in near the bottom so you get an airflow. You may wish to make removable or hinged inside covers for the lower vents. It will get hot as hell in there without them

I have one on some property up near Snowflake, hidden in the trees and painted forest green, with a ramp made of ABC and 12" square pavers from Home depot. It works for storing ATVs and such. If possible get a lock shield made out of heavy wall square tubing for the main door throw bolt.

I bought mine from a container place in PHX and they painted it and hauled it to Snowflake for $2500, about 12 years ago

Doug
Absolutely! I have a large lot at the end of a cul de sac and the container will be at the back of the side yard painted to match the house and attached high fence. All you will see from the street will be the roll up door, no different than a garage. I have already talked to my adjoining neighbor and they are fine with it. I live in the county land not in the city limits and they allow things like chickens which my neighbors have. Nice neighborhood with nice homes but more of a throw back to times before home owner associations that tell you what color you can paint your house and the reason some people choose to live outside of a city.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:41 AM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

I've had one for 20 years...pretty damp inside and I have two vents inside. Super mildewy. Most of the stuff I have in it is junk now....[never put a car inside...I now consider it a mistake.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Must look really nice. Bet the neighbors like it. Like others say check zoning laws first. In my town you can't have an RV unless it is garaged - and not in a flimsy fabric unit, needs a real garage.
On a farm on acreage and out of sight of anybody but trespassers!

Quick Reply: Thinking of a sea container