C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I think it's the very use of that word - "correct" that causes such a reaction in many folks It implies that the other versions are somehow "incorrect", as opposed to just being different by choice.

How about not using such a judgmental word, and call it original, or factory original, or as manufactured, or something that doesn't cast others in a pejorative light?
I suppose if an individual is going to take offense at a word because it doesn't say what he or she wants it to say, it doesn't matter what other word or phrase is substituted - they will eventually find something "wrong" with that word, too. If someone points out something on my 1962 that isn't exactly how GM built it, I am not offended if they say either "That is incorrect", or if they say, "That is not typical factory production". I am not that easily offended. I would be more interested in what IS correct, not how they refer to a part that's not. But that's just me.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
I suppose if an individual is going to take offense at a word because it doesn't say what he or she wants it to say, it doesn't matter what other word or phrase is substituted - they will eventually find something "wrong" with that word, too. If someone points out something on my 1962 that isn't exactly how GM built it, I am not offended if they say either "That is incorrect", or if they say, "That is not typical factory production". I am not that easily offended. I would be more interested in what IS correct, not how they refer to a part that's not. But that's just me.
Firefighters cannot be thin skinned! LOL! If they are, they usually won't do well in a Fire Station.

I told many a Proby...If they aren't yucking with you, then you have reason to be concerned.

Pat

IAFF Local 522
Old 12-06-2017, 06:41 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Buy one of these and save yourself a lot of pain and headache.

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

It's probably not so much the use of words like wrong or incorrect during judging that causes the issues. More likely it involves thoughtless owners taking it upon themselves to educate others either in person or on the internet regarding the "incorrectness" of their cars. If they allude to NCRS, or that their car is NCRS correct, in doing so that makes it all the worse. These are the arrogant nit-wits that Fyreline was referring to I believe.
The following users liked this post:
fyreline (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:07 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Firefighters cannot be thin skinned! LOL! If they are, they usually won't do well in a Fire Station.

I told many a Proby...If they aren't yucking with you, then you have reason to be concerned.

Pat

IAFF Local 522
Amen to that, brother. After over 40 years on the line, I've been called just about everything . . . even though a couple of them weren't true.

Dave

IAFF Local 280
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65hihp
It's probably not so much the use of words like wrong or incorrect during judging that causes the issues. More likely it involves thoughtless owners taking it upon themselves to educate others either in person or on the internet regarding the "incorrectness" of their cars. If they allude to NCRS, or that their car is NCRS correct, in doing so that makes it all the worse. These are the arrogant nit-wits that Fyreline was referring to I believe.
I think it was more like the folks that have some weird thing on their particular car that isn't seen on any other and they are convinced they have the one in a million car that came from the factory with that anomaly and it is indeed 'correct' (appears as factory) if they can just sway the judges to their cause. Its just easier to say its NTP (Not Typical Production) rather than incorrect. Such has happened with the BB hoods on small block cars and a dozen other such things
Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
As judges, we are heavily counseled and instructed to call items either Typical Factory Production, or Not Typical Factory Production. correct and incorrect have no place in the NCRS jargon.
Originally Posted by fyreline
Hmm. Well according to other posters/NCRS judges, that organization has chosen to use a different word. If one likes their standards that ought to be good enough as well.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 12-07-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Buy one of these and save yourself a lot of pain and headache.
Buy one of these and save US a lot of pain and headache.

The following 2 users liked this post by 427 Sidepipes:
mike coletta (12-07-2017), Randy G. (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:50 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 427 Sidepipes
Buy one of these and save US a lot of pain and headache.

But you could buy a roll and make fake ribbons to hang on the fake engines, tires, paint, upholstery, bright trim, etc.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sigh...

Another NCRS thread shot to hell....and devolved into personal attacks...

What oil do you guys use ? Any Pertronix failures ? I like my bias ply tires ? How big a deduct for NOM and wrong color paint ? Do you think restomods suck ? Does Frankie actually do any of his own work ?

Sorry, I had a topic flashback...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:25 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Sigh...

Another NCRS thread shot to hell....and devolved into personal attacks...

What oil do you guys use ? Any Pertronix failures ? I like my bias ply tires ? How big a deduct for NOM and wrong color paint ? Do you think restomods suck ? Does Frankie actually do any of his own work ?

Sorry, I had a topic flashback...

Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Another NCRS thread shot to hell....
I could have sworn this thread topic started out as SAAC (Shelby American Auto Club)... my bad.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Yes, a couple of the "real Corvette people" are having trouble controlling their emotions. The ten percenter crowd.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

To paraphrase a well known:
All of us know some, None of us know all.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 427 Sidepipes
I could have sworn this thread topic started out as SAAC (Shelby American Auto Club)... my bad.
Oh, I have discussed the comparisons between NCRS and SAAC/MCA judging on SAAC and MCA TDBs, to being on the verge of being banned from those organizations. They want no comparisons to an organized, documented, and professional car organization. They want all the power, knowledge, and experience to be restricted to the few judges who have everything up in their heads, and never written down. They prefer the car owners to just show up, shut up, and bask in their superior knowledge of how the cars were built. That is why I find NCRS far superior. The fact that they think every single part on those cars has a different "acceptable date range", as I originally mentioned, that has to be thoroughly researched by asking them exclusively, should give you a feel for how they operate their judging.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Oh, I have discussed the comparisons between NCRS and SAAC/MCA judging on SAAC and MCA TDBs, to being on the verge of being banned from those organizations. They want no comparisons to an organized, documented, and professional car organization. They want all the power, knowledge, and experience to be restricted to the few judges who have everything up in their heads, and never written down. They prefer the car owners to just show up, shut up, and bask in their superior knowledge of how the cars were built. That is why I find NCRS far superior. The fact that they think every single part on those cars has a different "acceptable date range", as I originally mentioned, that has to be thoroughly researched by asking them exclusively, should give you a feel for how they operate their judging.
I'd never go to one of those events twice! Once would be enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......

Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Critter1
I'd never go to one of those events twice! Once would be enough.
I am not as smart as you Mike, it took me two nationals to figure that out.....
Old 12-07-2017, 02:50 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
I believe that NCRS is a 501(c)(7) Social Club organization according to IRS guidelines.
That's wrong. It's a 501(c)(3):

501(c)(3)
Main article: 501(c)(3) organization

501(c)(3) tax-exemptions apply to entities that are organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes, or for testing for public safety, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals. The 501(c)(3) exemption also applies for any unincorporated community chest, fund, cooperating association, or foundation that is organized and operated exclusively for those purposes.[34][35] There are also supporting organizations—often referred to in shorthand form as "Friends of" organizations.[36][37][38][39][40] 26 U.S.C. § 170, provides a deduction, for federal income tax purposes, for some donors who make charitable contributions to most types of 501(c)(3) organizations, among others.

"Education" is the main purpose of NCRS. Restoring and learning how to restore our cars is a great education, and I'm thankful for the educational contributions from all of my fellow members who have advised and helped me restore my cars and have helped me in my judging activities. NCRS activities also include "scientific" and "public safety" regarding methods of restoration and making and keeping our cars safe.

Wayne
Old 12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I remember when one of the occasional posters here got banned from TDB for telling Jeff Cook that the club was run as a business. So they banned him.

No freedom of speech for him.

PS. I hear this guy Cook is gone now?

Quick Reply: Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......