C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 build data

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1961 build data

Hey , Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to find build data on my 61' ? options , paint color , etc.
I have a survivor that did not have factory paint color on it and I believe it is original that way.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

C1s didn't have trim tags or "build sheets"...so there is no telling what's been done to it. Sometimes the factory crayon marks indicating color can be seen by scraping paint off the bulkhead between the cockpit and trunk - occasionally you'll see a PG (Powerglide) or HT (Hardtop) there as well.

You can go to the C1 registry www.c1registry.com and enter your car's VIN to get an approximate birthday...
Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Build date is simple just post your vin number. After that no one will be ever to answer your other questions unless you find the original buyer who has solid documents
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

And, not to burst your bubble, but every presumed 'survivor' that turns up with some oddball feature is thought by the owner to be that one-off, rare case of the factory doing something out of the ordinary.

Which rarely, rarely is the case....
Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Default build data

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
And, not to burst your bubble, but every presumed 'survivor' that turns up with some oddball feature is thought by the owner to be that one-off, rare case of the factory doing something out of the ordinary.

Which rarely, rarely is the case....
I am just thinking that someone probably ordered this to have all options and since it might have been ordered , they may have ordered their color too and that is why I am interested in build data
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 PM
vdetel
Instructor

GM build data does support that 17 were delivered in non stock colors or in primer , so there are a few differences out there somewhere
Old 12-10-2017, 10:24 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Default build data

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Build date is simple just post your vin number. After that no one will be ever to answer your other questions unless you find the original buyer who has solid documents
I have located its birthdate , but I bought a survivor that had a hardtop , power soft top , power windows and some kind of green color paint , I looked in trunk , engine compartment , inside doors and inside panels but cannot find any other overspray of any other color the car had and green was not offered in that year. So after a lot of research I found that ( 17 ) 1961 corvettes were delivered with non stock colors or in primer.I am wondering if my car is one of those 17 and I thought that build info could be somewhere .
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

One of your reasonable hopes would be if it were a Nebraska Shriner's car......what's that fellow's name.....?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts

Have a look behind the passenger seat for signs of hand written grease pencil under the paint on the bulk head.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Default 1961 build data

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
One of your reasonable hopes would be if it were a Nebraska Shriner's car......what's that fellow's name.....?
I researched it back as far as the 2nd owners name which was ( David Paul Mangione ) but have not been able to locate him. He was in Pittsburg when he owned it.
Did the Shriners buy corvettes for an organization thing ?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vdetel
I researched it back as far as the 2nd owners name which was ( David Paul Mangione ) but have not been able to locate him. He was in Pittsburg when he owned it.
Did the Shriners buy corvettes for an organization thing ?
They where a private club who did a lot of parades starting in the late 50’s they would order about a dozen or so Corvettes from the same dealer in Nebraska. All the cars would be base engine with autos. Early they would order non standard colors some years they would order factory colors. But all the cars where ordered the same. Do some searchers on the Omaha Nebraska Shriner patrol cars.

Not to ruin your day but nine times out of ten when people think they just bought a rare unicorn car it turns out to be just a garaden variety car that was customized back in the day.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM
vdetel
Instructor

They where a private club who did a lot of parades starting in the late 50’s they would order about a dozen or so Corvettes from the same dealer in Nebraska. All the cars would be base engine with autos. Early they would order non standard colors some years they would order factory colors. But all the cars where ordered the same. Do some searchers on the Omaha Nebraska Shriner patrol cars.

Not to ruin your day but nine times out of ten when people think they just bought a rare unicorn car it turns out to be just a garaden variety car that was customized back in the day.
Thank you for the lead.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rumblegutz
Have a look behind the passenger seat for signs of hand written grease pencil under the paint on the bulk head.
Thank you for the info .
Old 12-11-2017, 08:20 PM
vdetel
Instructor

I have tracked it back to the second owner but have not been able to locate him. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

type, shriners, into the search engine here.

here is one thread you will find useful, one member has much info on the shriner cars

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orvette-2.html
Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 PM
vdetel
Instructor

Originally Posted by OC-1
type, shriners, into the search engine here.

here is one thread you will find useful, one member has much info on the shriner cars

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orvette-2.html
Thank you very much , There is a history with the Shriners I was not aware of and it looks as though all of their cars were unique to them.

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 build data

Quick Reply: 1961 build data