C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Quartz Clock Movement Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 PM
RJMerc
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Quartz Clock Movement Question

Hello All,

I'm in the middle of refreshing my dash cluster, clock, glove box, and speaker replacement. My clocks runs just fine, except I am unable to change the time. I would pull the set stem, turn it and get very little movement from the hands. I could tell there was some obstruction by the resistance.

So I've now removed the clock and have discovered somebody beat me to replacing the original mechanical movement with the quartz movement.

I'm able to manually rotate the white motor driven gears with my fingers, which then rotates the metal and red plastic gears and the hand movement works just as expected. However, when I try to rotate the small red gear (1-yellow arrow) that is engaged by the set stem when pulled, it simply can not generate enough torque to rotate gear 4 (orange arrow).

It almost seems like gears 1, 2 and 3 should lift off gear 4 in order to freely set the clock hands. Am I missing a piece?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Attached Images     
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

That thrust washer on top of #3 gear could be putting too much pressure on everything once assembled. Might try to flatten it out a little.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Also on the bottom of #4 there is a little clutch that slips when you turn the set ****. Try to lighten up or lubricate that.

I bet that's it.

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 12-13-2017 at 10:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RJMerc (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM
RJMerc
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Also on the bottom of #4 there is a little clutch that slips when you turn the set ****. Try to lighten up or lubricate that.

I bet that's it.
Hi Hemi, thanks very much for your reply. You are exactly right...it's the clutch on the minute gear that's too tight. I'm going to try to lubricate it a bit.

Thanks!
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Quartz Clock Movement Question

Quick Reply: Quartz Clock Movement Question