C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Take a Gander at Superformance's 1963 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 920 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Take a Gander at Superformance's 1963 Grand Sport

Take a Gander at Superformance's 1963 Grand Sport
By Brett Foote

Recreations just don't get any better than this. Check out this amazing modern interpretation of one of Chevy's greatest creations inside.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,966 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Take a Gander at Superformance's 1963 Grand Sport
By Brett Foote

Recreations just don't get any better than this. Check out this amazing modern interpretation of one of Chevy's greatest creations inside.

Here's one in "the wild"!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ower-tour.html

Tom
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,392 Likes on 684 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

You're kidding right?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikelj
You're kidding right?
Kidding about what . . . Mike?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 800 Likes on 547 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Kidding about what ? That's an awesome car !
Old 01-03-2018, 06:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Superformance builds a pretty high level car. I would put a period 377 cu in small block in it instead and it would be about as close to a streetable version of the real thing as you are going to get.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe you should check with some of the owners of their Cobra "Replicas", Recreations", or whatever they call them, I know many in my Cobra Club that are not happy campers........
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I would be proud to call one of those mine. If I had the skill level and the extra Franklin's, I would own one in a heartbeat.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:55 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Maybe you should check with some of the owners of their Cobra "Replicas", Recreations", or whatever they call them, I know many in my Cobra Club that are not happy campers........
I own a Cobra Replica (not a Superformance) and frequent that forum (when it's working) and never really noticed more issues with Superformance than other manufacturers, especially considering their volume. They also retain a pretty high re-sell value after the initial new vehicle hit. They have had a couple of suspension issues in earlier models but I believe they addressed most of those issues. Can't really discuss drivetrain issues since except for the differentials the driveline is provided separately and installed by a separate party. And a lot of the trim and other parts used on replicas is basically 60 year old British sports car stuff that had about the same quality level as Lucus electronics and a half life of about 5 years. But a lot of people buy these replicas because they always admired them and think it will change their life or to scratch a mid-life itch, but they aren't really car people in a sense that they can maintain a car. So they write in to these forums about every little thing that pops up on the car which sort of gives a distorted picture.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I own a Cobra Replica (not a Superformance) and frequent that forum (when it's working) and never really noticed more issues with Superformance than other manufacturers, especially considering their volume. They also retain a pretty high re-sell value after the initial new vehicle hit. They have had a couple of suspension issues in earlier models but I believe they addressed most of those issues. Can't really discuss drivetrain issues since except for the differentials the driveline is provided separately and installed by a separate party. And a lot of the trim and other parts used on replicas is basically 60 year old British sports car stuff that had about the same quality level as Lucus electronics and a half life of about 5 years. But a lot of people buy these replicas because they always admired them and think it will change their life or to scratch a mid-life itch, but they aren't really car people in a sense that they can maintain a car. So they write in to these forums about every little thing that pops up on the car which sort of gives a distorted picture.
Roberto, the owner of the GS in the Power Tour video, just drove it from CA to NC within the past few days! My buddy Tom (Sky65) is there with him today. No issues on the trip and he had a great time on the Power Tour this year!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I really don't see what the problem is. You will never own an actual GS so why not get a replica?
The following users liked this post:
Joe Inama (01-05-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:35 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't disagree with any of that. I purchased a CSX 7900 50th Anniversary FIA continuation series Shelby American Cobra, as I heard they are the most accurate and best made of any of the lot. But even it is a "Kit Car", with all the trials and tribulations attached to that, getting it titled, registered, and licensed is a cottage industry unto itself and not for the impatient or faint of heart. And yes, the mechanicals on the cars are a bear to deal with, as nothing is "production" and unless you are an excellent mechanic who has a broad range of skills, keeping them on the road is a nightmare. Mine had 4 Webers, and that by itself kept me up nights, literally........

Last edited by mikelj; 01-03-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:40 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have owned 2 Superformance Cobras, one with a 302 Boss, and the other was a 522 big block Ford and was an absolute beast. Never had any issues with either one, Superformance / Hi-Tech in South Africa build fabulous and very high Quality cars. I am keeping an eye out for a GT40 Mark I Superformance car right now.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Back in the early 90's I built three Cobra replicas (an ERA and two Uniques - the only two bodies at the time with the correct shape and proportion), and I built D&D Grand Sport #37 in 1994-95 - totally impractical but MARVELOUS cars. There's something you just never forget about a 2200# tube-frame car with 450hp!
Attached Images      
Old 01-03-2018, 08:06 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There's something you just never forget about a 2200# tube-frame car with 450hp!
Occasionally I stray from Corvette restorations by building a Cobra or something else I desire. My last "creation" (not Corvette or Cobra) weighed in at 2050 lbs. with 398.9 HP on the dyno. The most common remark at car shows is "That must be insanely fast". My reply is always "if I had this car 40 years ago, I'd have been dead for the past 40 years".
Old 01-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Back in the early 90's I built three Cobra replicas (an ERA and two Uniques - the only two bodies at the time with the correct shape and proportion), and I built D&D Grand Sport #37 in 1994-95 - totally impractical but MARVELOUS cars. There's something you just never forget about a 2200# tube-frame car with 450hp!
John - ill never forget the sight of #2 parked in front of the Conner Avenue plant the day I took a tour!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I recently sold my Cobra replica but I've been a regular on one of the Cobra forums for about 15 years. Over that time I've seen Superformance become the dominant brand that is widely praised for the quality of its cars. I've also seen the typical owner go from a gearhead who could tune his own carburetor to casual car folks who can't tell what engine is in their car just by looking. I have no doubt their Grand Sport replicas can fill the same niche for Chevy lovers.

My only comment about the Superformance GS replica is that I find it interesting that they chose to replicate not the true Grand Sports that were pure race cars. Rather they chose to replicate the streetable GS replicas built by folks like JohnZ. In other words they build replicas of replicas. I don't say that to denigrate their product. But its not unlike the folks who marketed replicas of the Mustang Eleanor that was itself a modified replica of an earlier Eleanor from an earlier movie. There's nothing wrong with that. I just find it interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To Take a Gander at Superformance's 1963 Grand Sport

Old 01-03-2018, 09:19 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

There should be a forum for the kit cars, since this is not a C2 Corvette by any stretch of the imagination. It is also not a resto-mod of an original C2, it needs a separate place for people that want kit cars. It should be moved to "Other Cars".

Last edited by mikelj; 01-04-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
I would be proud to call one of those mine. If I had the skill level and the extra Franklin's, I would own one in a heartbeat.
I would love to have one. Unfortunately I'll have to sell my house 1st.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

There should be a forum for the kit cars, since this is not a C2 Corvette by any stretch of the imagination. It is also not a resto-mod of an original C2, it needs a separate place for people that want kit cars. It should be moved to "Other Cars". Moderators, please take action here......
We discuss plenty of non C1/C2 stuff on this forum. We discuss them as C1/C2 owners with common interests and GS replicas are one of those interests. If you don't want to read or discuss them don't look at the GS threads. Pretty simple.
Moderators, please leave this thread where is so I can find it.

Thanks

Tom
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] Take a Gander at Superformance's 1963 Grand Sport