C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 new ragjoint & steering gear box

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 AM
alaska66
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 66 new ragjoint & steering gear box

I have had the steering gear box rebuilt and replacing the ragjoint. What’s the best method to ensure installation with the gear box and ragjoint with the steering column? All that i have is a black dot on the steering box. I want to ensure i have equal direction in both directions.Also should i put the ragjoint on the steering column first and the onto the gear box? Or the other way around?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Who overhauled the steering box, maybe contact them to see what the black dot represents.

From the factory there should be a chisel mark on the box input shaft that represents the high spot (center). The rag joint metal half goes on the box shaft with the slit lined up with the chisel mark. The cloth and rivited metal half goes on the shaft and the flat centers so the pinch bolt will pass through. Things are indexed inside the car and should be self explanatory and the Pittman are points forward with the box on the high mark (straight ahead position).

When you get it all set it's a matter of adjusting the tie rod ends.

Last edited by tbarb; 01-10-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Post #19 and #23.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-please.html
Old 01-10-2018, 02:10 PM
alaska66
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes i just checked with the people who rebuilt the steering box. The black dot does represent the center. Hopefully the new rag joint will go on fairly easy. We use some spray on lube to help with the process. Just not sure what the correct start process should be. Install the steering box to the frame-then install the rag joint to the box then the column?

Who overhauled the steering box, maybe contact them to see what the black dot represents.

From the factory there should be a chisel mark on the box input shaft that represents the high spot (center). The rag joint metal half goes on the box shaft with the slit lined up with the chisel mark. The cloth and rivited metal half goes on the shaft and the flat centers so the pinch bolt will pass through. Things are indexed inside the car and should be self explanatory and the Pittman are points forward with the box on the high mark (straight ahead position).

When you get it all set it's a matter of adjusting the tie rod ends.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

To install the assembly take the upper half of the rag joint (cloth and rivited metal) and slide it up the steering column as far as it will go and snug the pinch bolt to hold it there.

Take the lower half of the rag joint (metal only) and install it on the steering box worm gear shaft so the slit is in line with the black dot, tighten the pinch bolt tight and install the steering box. When everything is installed loosen the top pinch bolt and union the two halves of the rag joint and tighten the two 5/16" nuts and then tighten the top pinch bolt tight.

On word of caution when you union the rag joint halves, loosen the two firewall bolts and raise/lower the complete column so the rag joint halves are lined up straight with each other then snug the firewall bolts to hold the column in that position. If you don't do this you will prematurely ruin the lower bearing in the steering column and that can put a groove in the steering shaft.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

One thing you should be aware of, there is a true center and a high center. In theory they should be the same, in reality they were not always and many times off a lot. If the reference point on the rebuilt box, (this is not one of my boxes for those who may ask), is at the true center and they are off your high center lash will be off.
The following users liked this post:
JRRHINO (01-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 66 new ragjoint & steering gear box

Quick Reply: 66 new ragjoint & steering gear box