C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] What To Do For Replacement Pedal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 PM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default What To Do For Replacement Pedal Assembly

I have a 1957 that was an automatic, but I am changing to a six speed, with hydraulic clutch. What are my choices to go from a single brake pedal to brake/clutch combo and what have some of you guys done?

Are the original pedal mounts the same for auto or manual with just different pedals?

I see aftermarket pedal assemblies and since I am not worrying about originality, can I hear from anyone who used an aftermarket assembly as well?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

You can buy the pedal. Bracket that attaches and pusherod. The mounts should all be there. You will want to look closely at one at a car show. Its easy.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:22 PM
njfl
Pro

Originally Posted by John S 1961
You can buy the pedal. Bracket that attaches and pusherod. The mounts should all be there. You will want to look closely at one at a car show. Its easy.
Is the piece that the pedals mount to the same for auto and manual?
I obviously need more than just the clutch pedal. I need the brake pedal too.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:26 PM
njfl
Pro

Let me give a little more detail. AIM Section 5, p. 2 shows the bracket as part number 3722712. This is for the brake pedal, but it doesn't state manual or automatic. Section 6, p. 7 shows the clutch assy, but doesn't give a part number for that bracket. There is a "bracket" part number on this sheet, but it is 3709581, which is a small bracket on the side.

I'm trying to find out if the main bracket assy, 3722712, is the same for both, manual and automation trans.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I'm pretty sure the bracket is the same. I'm switching from a stick to auto. I jus bought the auto pedal. Its pretty much that same pedal just centered instead of offset for clutch pedal clearance.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 PM
njfl
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert61
I'm pretty sure the bracket is the same. I'm switching from a stick to auto. I jus bought the auto pedal. Its pretty much that same pedal just centered instead of offset for clutch pedal clearance.
Were you able to reuse the bracket?
Where did you get the pedal and we're you happy with the quality?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I bought mine from corvette central. The pedal was good but I rewelded it before powder coating. I have all of the clutch pedal parts I'm not going to use.

Last edited by Robert61; 07-21-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 PM
njfl
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert61
I bought mine from corvette central. The pedal was good but I rewelded it before powder coating. I have all of the clutch pedal parts I'm not going to use.
Hmmm. I'll call you tomorrow. I'll update you on my progress. Thanks to you I did so much glass work myself.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 PM
CANDA
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The bracket is the same for both the automatic and the clutch for the manual transmission. The AIM is fairly simple to follow once you look at it under the dash.. The clutch pedal top rod slides inside of the hole (the tube hole mount sticking out of the picture) there is a rod at the tope of the clutch pedal that is at a right angle to the clutch peddle and it slides in the side of the brake pedal assembly, On my 62' there are two bolts that hold the clutch pedal in place and a spring mount that keeps tension on the clutch pedal so the cutch does not engage when your not pushing in on the clutch. There is an assembly listed on EBAY (1958=1962 Corvette Clutch Brake Pedal assembly) that has several pictures you can expand to see how things fit
Good luck
Old 07-24-2018, 05:33 AM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you thought about using a combined pedal and master cylinder like this if your using a Tremec 6 spd.? As they were used on a number of cars like the Camaro the pedal assembly is like the one below, and being o.e.m the pedal assembly and slave cylinder are designed to work together. No worries about matching master cylinder to the slave cylinder and pedal travel etc. Another benefit is you don't need to have a clutch reservoir as you can share the brake reservoir, so this tidies up the engine bay and firewall. Only downside is there is a bit of fabrication work. This is what I used for my Tremec 6spd.

Get notified of new replies

To What To Do For Replacement Pedal Assembly

Quick Reply: [C1] What To Do For Replacement Pedal Assembly