C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Pulley question for borgeson/steeroids

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:52 AM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Pulley question for borgeson/steeroids

Looking at manual steering C2's 327 base and HP for potential purchase.
Plan to convert to PS borgeson or steeroids

Vendors sell the power steering add on kit which includes the PS pump, bracketry and pump pulley. Isn't another pulley required at crankshaft to drive the PS pump?

Randy

PS Am I correct that if I get a 67 the Borgeson conversion is a little easier because I don't have to cut the shaft? Can 65-66 shafts be cut in the car or does column need to be removed?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 66RBS
Looking at manual steering C2's 327 base and HP for potential purchase.
Plan to convert to PS borgeson or steeroids

Vendors sell the power steering add on kit which includes the PS pump, bracketry and pump pulley. Isn't another pulley required at crankshaft to drive the PS pump?

Randy

PS Am I correct that if I get a 67 the Borgeson conversion is a little easier because I don't have to cut the shaft? Can 65-66 shafts be cut in the car or does column need to be removed?
You are correct. Cut the shaft for 65 and 66. I bought a Borgeson kit for my 65 convertible 327/300. I would advise that you temporarily install the PS pump and figure out your pulley configuration as the supplied pulley with the kit did not line up with the CS pulley (for me). Also, it would appear that the supplied hoses are not exactly the correct length (for me). Another required mod (maybe) based on how you route the hoses to/from pump to box. Remember that the recommended caster for PS is 4-5 deg pos (Borgeson recommendation). Stock cross shafts might get you 3.5 deg max? Another mod to consider....
Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Recent threads about Borgeson installation.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4076218-borgeson-power-steering-conversion.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4080094-borgeson-power-steeing-pully-hits.html

Last edited by EnfieldJoe; 01-20-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Additional info
The following users liked this post:
66RBS (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 AM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe
You are correct. Cut the shaft for 65 and 66. I bought a Borgeson kit for my 65 convertible 327/300. I would advise that you temporarily install the PS pump and figure out your pulley configuration as the supplied pulley with the kit did not line up with the CS pulley (for me). Also, it would appear that the supplied hoses are not exactly the correct length (for me). Another required mod (maybe) based on how you route the hoses to/from pump to box. Remember that the recommended caster for PS is 4-5 deg pos (Borgeson recommendation). Stock cross shafts might get you 3.5 deg max? Another mod to consider....
What I am asking is that in addition to the PS pump add on kit, I will also need a 2 groove dampener pulley ( CS Pulley). Rear groove drives alt and water pump only. Front groove for PS pump. Correct?

Never mind. Answer is in the links. Thanks Enfield Joe

Last edited by 66RBS; 01-24-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: clarification

Get notified of new replies

To Pulley question for borgeson/steeroids

Quick Reply: [C2] Pulley question for borgeson/steeroids