C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Going back together-hopefully fire it up tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Going back together-hopefully fire it up tomorrow!

Crazy cold weather and work got in the way of getting anything done last week...but the sun is out and it's 80* in TX today. Great day to play in the shop!

Got all the shaft rockers installed and adjusted, crank trigger/pulleys installed, misc fittings, install flywheel and clutch and get it ready to drop in.

I pulled/installed it differently than I ever have before but it worked well. My previous shops were built "long" where I could get everything ready to pull and then roll the car off the lift and use a cherry picker as usual. But with this shop...I'd have to roll it outside the door which is undercover...but it was cold.

So I got it all ready and lowered the lift onto 4 jackstands. This held it up high enough for cherry picker legs to go under the lift platforms. It seemed a little scary because it makes you lift the engine higher due to height of the ramps as well as the space they are off the floor. But it all worked fine! I was able to drop it in with the hood still in place, the radiator/shroud still there. Everything just clears perfectly and it dropped in with no drama at all. Slid right on the trans and right on the mounts. I'm a lucky man!!

Tomorrow I'll finish bolting everything up and install the intake manifold. I decided to leave it off while installing to allow me to get the chain down in the lifter valley so I could lift higher, plus it might get damaged. Lots of pieces on that dude!

I've got a track rental lined up for Feb 25th...so need to get it out and a few miles on it before I hit the track!

JIM
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2018, 11:26 PM
dunney
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's awesome! Good luck. Try to take it easy on the first few runs (yeah, I know you're not going to do that).
Old 01-28-2018, 09:57 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Had sick grandkids visit last week...spent Saturday in bad shape. Today is good though so back to work!

Cleaned up intake and started the LONG process of putting it all together. It's got a lot of little nuances and everything has to be just right to make it all fit as far as all the wiring/plumbing. Works great...just a specific order to install things. There's a lot of hidden stuff in the back of that thing....but I like that it looks simple/clean when you look at it.

Only exciting moment was when I turned the key on to pressurize the fuel system and the fuel pressure sensor decided to die and spray fuel everywhere. Glad that didn't happen when I was driving it. I may need to rethink where all that stuff is mounted...it's pretty hot over there. Anyway, an 1/8" pipe plug temporarily took care of that and it fired right up! Sounds pretty good for the short time I ran it.

Ordered a new pressure sensor...interestingly Jegs/Summit show the exact same price as the Holley list price on their site. What's up with that?? $120!!

Got all the pulleys, water pump, PS and fan back in place....so ready to drive soon!

JIM
Old 01-30-2018, 02:04 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

Great progress Jim! Glad she runs again.

Get notified of new replies

To Going back together-hopefully fire it up tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Going back together-hopefully fire it up tomorrow!